Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Well, we're getting ready to go into construction season here, and it's going to be a doozy...

A major east-west freeway is going to have all the westbound lanes closed for the entire summer (April through November) for a 10 mile stretch between two major north-south freeways...
    One of the north-south freeways is (still) going to be closed for a big stretch south of the city to replace a bridge (which has desperately needed the work for years)...
    There's quite a bit more I'm not even mentioning here...

It's almost to the point of, if someone asks "how do I get there, from here," the answer will be "you can't get there from here."

We're joking about allowing people to work remotely 5 days a week until after the summer...

• jasona.work - Tuesday, February 27, 2018 8:09 AM

Well, we're getting ready to go into construction season here, and it's going to be a doozy...

A major east-west freeway is going to have all the westbound lanes closed for the entire summer (April through November) for a 10 mile stretch between two major north-south freeways...
    One of the north-south freeways is (still) going to be closed for a big stretch south of the city to replace a bridge (which has desperately needed the work for years)...

It's almost to the point of, if someone asks "how do I get there, from here," the answer will be "you can't get there from here."

We're joking about allowing people to work remotely 5 days a week until after the summer...

Sounds more like a necessity than a joke. Summer construction is such a bittersweet thing. It is awful while it is happening but usually makes things a lot better in the long run.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange - Tuesday, February 27, 2018 8:29 AM

jasona.work - Tuesday, February 27, 2018 8:09 AM

Well, we're getting ready to go into construction season here, and it's going to be a doozy...

Sounds more like a necessity than a joke. Summer construction is such a bittersweet thing. It is awful while it is happening but usually makes things a lot better in the long run.

Oh it's all needed work, no one is denying that...
    It's just going to make getting around town a total and complete PITA for everyone.  Several of the roads being worked on are more patching material than road surface, and the weather we've been having has not been helping (warms up, rain, snow melts, WHOOPS fooled you! back to below freezing and watch the concrete crumble!)

Heck, one of the county road projects that's starting in the spring is basically a "oh crap we need to fix this well enough to last until the *actual* project to repave it starts in a couple years" project.

• jasona.work - Tuesday, February 27, 2018 8:50 AM

Sean Lange - Tuesday, February 27, 2018 8:29 AM

Oh it's all needed work, no one is denying that...
    It's just going to make getting around town a total and complete PITA for everyone.  Several of the roads being worked on are more patching material than road surface, and the weather we've been having has not been helping (warms up, rain, snow melts, WHOOPS fooled you! back to below freezing and watch the concrete crumble!)

Heck, one of the county road projects that's starting in the spring is basically a "oh crap we need to fix this well enough to last until the *actual* project to repave it starts in a couple years" project.

We have had two incredibly major renovations to the highway around KC for over a decade now. This has been a real engineering marvel as the project has crossed state boundaries and they have had to coordinate everything. There was even a website to track progress on the Missouri side. They finished the Missouri side a few years ago and have another couple of years on the Kansas side until it is complete. Glad I don't have to commute through that mess.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• jasona.work - Tuesday, February 27, 2018 8:09 AM

Sounds fun. One of our major highways (the one running north-south through the center of the city) has been under major renovation for the last 2 years.
    It needed doing badly (bridge with gaps forming in the connector plates), but it's made travel a nightmare.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster - Tuesday, February 27, 2018 9:34 AM

Sounds fun. One of our major highways (the one running north-south through the center of the city) has been under major renovation for the last 2 years.
    It needed doing badly (bridge with gaps forming in the connector plates), but it's made travel a nightmare.

Here's a recent picture of one of the potholes on the bridge they've been working on since last year (it's, I believe, a full-fledged rip up the bridge deck and build a new one job):
    (OK, the link to a picture doesn't work for me at work, so)
    https://goo.gl/images/wQP3jP

• jasona.work - Tuesday, February 27, 2018 10:11 AM

GilaMonster - Tuesday, February 27, 2018 9:34 AM

Here's a recent picture of one of the potholes on the bridge they've been working on since last year (it's, I believe, a full-fledged rip up the bridge deck and build a new one job):

I know the exact project you're referring to, Jason.  I'm glad I don't have to take I-696 myself.  Knowing where you're located, it may just do you in.  It's going to take a while for people to find their preferred alternate route, during which time it'll be a nightmare.  Your employer is just going to have to understand how bad things are.  If the bosses don't work remotely, they'll get it.

There's a great many bridges and roads around town that are complete disaster areas.  I don't know if some are like the surface of the moon or were full-fledged war zones recently, but it looks like some of them have been the victim of light bombing runs.

• Ed Wagner - Tuesday, February 27, 2018 10:57 AM

jasona.work - Tuesday, February 27, 2018 10:11 AM

GilaMonster - Tuesday, February 27, 2018 9:34 AM

I know the exact project you're referring to, Jason.  I'm glad I don't have to take I-696 myself.  Knowing where you're located, it may just do you in.  It's going to take a while for people to find their preferred alternate route, during which time it'll be a nightmare.  Your employer is just going to have to understand how bad things are.  If the bosses don't work remotely, they'll get it.

There's a great many bridges and roads around town that are complete disaster areas.  I don't know if some are like the surface of the moon or were full-fledged war zones recently, but it looks like some of them have been the victim of light bombing runs.

Yep.  My current route to work takes me right down the middle of the construction project...
    I'm thinking I'll see how much longer it'll be (time-wise) taking 16 Mile to Van Dyke then down to 11 Mile / 696 Service Drive.  I'd take Mound Rd instead, but right by 11 Mile the right lane (which I'd need to be in) is so bad even semis are avoiding that lane...

I'd say light bombing runs, maybe 100lb bombs or so...
    🙂

• jasona.work - Tuesday, February 27, 2018 8:50 AM

...Several of the roads being worked on are more patching material than road surface... Heck, one of the county road projects that's starting in the spring is basically a "oh crap we need to fix this well enough to last until the *actual* project to repave it starts in a couple years" project.

Don't you love when they just patch last year's patches?  There's one road by me I think they've patched the patched patches now.  Another one they just decided to put up an orange sign that says "Rough Road Ahead"

• This is part of the highway that's under renovation

South-bound on the upper level, north-bound on the lower.

For years now, whenever it rains there will be waterfalls across the lower level as water runs through the joints in the upper bridge (gutters blocked with debris)

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GilaMonster - Tuesday, February 27, 2018 12:34 PM

This is part of the highway that's under renovation

For years now, whenever it rains there will be waterfalls across the lower level as water runs through the joints in the upper bridge (gutters blocked with debris)

You'd think they'd have sent out a crew to *clear* the gutters...

Can't be fun to be cruising along on the lower deck at (insert speed limit here) and suddenly hitting a veritable waterfall...

• GilaMonster - Tuesday, February 27, 2018 12:34 PM

God, just looking at that gives me the willies, reminds me of Oakland

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• jasona.work - Tuesday, February 27, 2018 1:02 PM

Can't be fun to be cruising along on the lower deck at (insert speed limit here) and suddenly hitting a veritable waterfall...

Maybe they have other issues going on, like presidents who don't want to retire or massive alien ships out in District 9

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

GilaMonster - Tuesday, February 27, 2018 12:34 PM

I'm guessing the speed wouldn't be high because the rain won't allow it. At least that happens in Mexico city, were you can see the waterfall for over 15 minutes before actually getting to it.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2

80 km/h

It's a good way to get the car washed for free. (I drove that highway home every day for ~5 years)

Gail Shaw

Viewing 15 posts - 61,141 through 61,155 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply