Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Lynn Pettis - Friday, December 29, 2017 10:54 AM

GilaMonster - Friday, December 29, 2017 10:52 AM

Lynn Pettis - Friday, December 29, 2017 10:12 AM

Well, when I posted you hadn't yet.  Looking at the posts in one thread it says your post was 33 minutes ago and mine 30 minutes ago.  Really weird if you ask me.  Maybe I should close and reopen my browser.

I posted both, edited my post on his first thread and then refreshed the latest posts and it showed only one reply to both threads.

Like I said, just weird.

Lynn, I saw similar behavior on a thread we posted to yesterday.  I posted a reply, but it showed that yours posted first.  Today, it shows me posting 1 minute before you.  I'm forced to wonder if it's related to Steve's comment about having caching issues on the web servers.  The strange thing is that I'd think the web servers get the times from the database, so it could be that the web servers are caching some threads in the web cache.  I experimented with that some years ago, but didn't like it that the most current data wasn't displayed, so abandoned it.

• Thom A - Monday, December 18, 2017 3:13 PM

Sergiy - Monday, December 18, 2017 3:04 PM

So, to be able to deliver goods to any of EU addresses I have to collect all the info listed above from potential customers.
    And they have to give it to me, in order to buy anything online.

Are you sure it's about protecting customer's privacy, not exposing his/her most detailed personal data to as many foreign entities asd possible?

I think you're missing the point. You don't have to collect all that data to conform to GDPR; you have to conform to GDPR is you collect ANY of that data. The two statements are not mutually exclusive.

I think it's you totally misunderstand my point.
    If you have customer records in your database are you about to conform with data handling rules in Zambia?
    What about Saudi Arabia?
    What the latest changes in their legislation related to the matter? 
    Do you know if you have citizens of those countries recorded in your database?
    How can you tell?
    Do you even allow employees to browse private customer data???

• TomThomson - Monday, December 18, 2017 8:54 PM

Sergiy - Monday, December 18, 2017 3:25 PM

Thom A - Monday, December 18, 2017 3:13 PM

So, to be able to deliver goods to any of EU addresses I have to collect all the info listed above from potential customers.

Are you sure it's about protecting customer's privacy, not exposing his/her most detailed personal data to as many foreign entities asd possible?

I think you're missing the point. You don't have to collect all that data to conform to GDPR; you have to conform to GDPR is you collect ANY of that data. The two statements are not mutually exclusive.

Without collecting that data I cannot tell if my customer is from EU.
    And if GDPR should be even considered.

That's pure nonsense.  It doesn't matter where your customer is from.   It does matter what the deklivery address is and what the invoicing address is - if the delivery address is in the EU and you took the order at a location in the EU or on the web, the GDPR regulations will apply to data concerning the person(s) taking delivery, and if the invoicing address is in the EU and you took the order at a location in the EU or on the web the regulations will apply to the person(s) paying.  

Sorry, but it's absolute nonsense.
    Foreign delivery address indicates only that I'm an exporter.
    Exporters do not need to conform the legislation of the country destination.
    They do not pay taxes there, are not responsible for following import rules.
    As well as any other internal legislation of the destination.
    It's a responsibility of an importer.
    Who is my customer, not me.

My customer might put some special conditions related to their regulations, then I'll need to follow it.
    But otherwise - I'm out of EU (in our case) jurisdiction, so any of its laws apply to me.

• Sergiy - Friday, December 29, 2017 4:20 PM

TomThomson - Monday, December 18, 2017 8:54 PM

That's pure nonsense.  It doesn't matter where your customer is from.   It does matter what the deklivery address is and what the invoicing address is - if the delivery address is in the EU and you took the order at a location in the EU or on the web, the GDPR regulations will apply to data concerning the person(s) taking delivery, and if the invoicing address is in the EU and you took the order at a location in the EU or on the web the regulations will apply to the person(s) paying.  

My customer might put some special conditions related to their regulations, then I'll need to follow it.
    But otherwise - I'm out of EU (in our case) jurisdiction, so any of its laws apply to me.

Unless your country chooses to allow the EU to come after you in your country.  Seems like they can do that from some of the commentary I have read.

• Hugo Kornelis - Monday, December 18, 2017 5:47 PM

Sergiy - Monday, December 18, 2017 3:54 PM

Lynn Pettis - Monday, December 18, 2017 3:37 PM

If you intend to sell/deliver products/services to individuals in the EU then you already know that you need to conform to GDPR, doesn't matter if you know your customer is from the EU.  Which, when followed to its conclusion means you should probably treat all customers as if they are from the EU so that you have a single code base with which to work.

Is it about EU only?
    Or should I treat every customer as a citizen of USA, Australia, Russian Federation, Turkey, Zimbabwe, etc.?
    I have customers in every country in the world, except probably KPDR.
    Should I and every other employee study the legislation of every coutry in the world?

You know, that anti-terrorist legislation in USA is quite opposite to GDPR in terms of personal data handling.
    Does it mean no company will be allowed to sell goods on both sides of the straight?

I'm not sure if yo're just being argumentative for the sake of it, or fully misunderstanding the point.

This isn't about treating customers from different nations differently. It is about following the laws of the countries where you do business. If you sell in the EU, you have to register for and pay VAT. 

I do business in Australia and New Zealand.
    That the laws I have to follow.

I export the service to other countries, including members of the EU.
    But I and not registered there and I don't pay VAT.
    Because it's the responsibility of importers, and I'm an exporter.

If I decide to sell through a representative office in EU, I'll register a separate legal entity, which will have an EU registration, and it will be a subject of EU taxes and other laws.
    If that entity will collect personal data of potential customers then it must conform GDPR.
    But not otherwise.
    Australian business entities do not have obligations to follow any EU legislation, no matter who puts what data in their databases.

• Lynn Pettis - Friday, December 29, 2017 4:32 PM

Sergiy - Friday, December 29, 2017 4:20 PM

TomThomson - Monday, December 18, 2017 8:54 PM

Unless your country chooses to allow the EU to come after you in your country.  Seems like they can do that from some of the commentary I have read.

The whole thing  in our case of South African Law is a total stuff up. On the one hand we have the Protection Of Private Information Act (POPI) and on the other hand the 

Promotion of Access to Information Act (PAIA). Both kind of overlap and contradict each other. Now figure.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Michael L John - Tuesday, December 19, 2017 7:02 AM

Sergiy - Saturday, December 16, 2017 6:06 AM

Michael L John - Friday, December 15, 2017 7:18 AM

But, the astounding thing is that out of 6 candidates we have interviewed, only ONE had any understanding of the upcoming GDPR regulations. 
    The other 5 had never even heard of it.  Wait, you mean to tell me you are an IT professional, and you have  never even hears of this???

Why should they have?
    GDPR is rather legal subject, with very little relevnce to technical implementations. It's a company lawer which must understand it, not a report developer.

And - do you have such an understanding yourself?
    Can you give a definition for "data subject"?
    Is it a EU citizen, as described in one part of the legislation, or a EU resident, as described in another part?
    After it's clarified - how can you tell that a customer record in your database contains personal data for such a "data subject"? How do you or your BI developer should know if a record with a dodgy family name belongs to a EU citizen, or to a contractor residing in an EU country for a limited time, or a gastarbeiter from Ukraine on a work permit with no residential rights?
    How DBA's in Ali Express suppose to know which personal records in their database belong to citizens of which EU countries? Did you ever submit your citizenship information when buying something online? And even if you did - how a vendor suppose to verify correctness of such information? Get direct access to Intenal Affairs databases of every EU country???

Right-to-be-Forgotten.
    What if I want to be forgotten by a Police department?
    What about a private investigator database?  Their normal operations definitely "require regular and systematic monitoring of data subjects". So, according to GDPR, I must be able to force them to "forget me".
    It's also interesting how they plan to enforce this right for the private information of EU citizens  collected by FSB (better known as KGB) or CIA?
    And if FSB could not be forced to open their data collections for inspections by EU authorities, why Facebook must be any different? Especially - there is no solid proof that the personal records held by Facebook are of actual EU citizens.

This is a bit more that a report developer position.  And, even if it was "only a report developer", I would hope that they would have at least heard of it.  Considering the skills, experience, and accomplishments listed on the resumes, it's about what I expected.  

And, yes, I do have a deep understanding of it myself.  It's my job.

You're hiring an "IT professional", according to your own words. Not a lawyer.
    IT professionals tend to believe in such statements:

Yes, GDPR is EU legislation, but like I said above, it applies to anyone that is dealing with the EU, or it's citizens. 

If you trust such professionals with your legal matters then it's not long before you get into a trouble.
    Leave legal stuff to legal professionals, and let IT professionals do IT stuff.

• Unless your country chooses to allow the EU to come after you in your country. Seems like they can do that from some of the commentary I have read.

Agree.

But that would be a change in my country legislation, accepted by our parliament, published in a local official paper.

But whatever they invent in EU or Zambia or Saudi Arabia - not my business.

No matter citizen of which country has chosen to put his/her personal data in my database.

• Lynn Pettis - Friday, December 29, 2017 4:32 PM

True, you could decide to "ignore it", however, like Lynn said the EU could then speak to your own government to persue fines and damages via them. Alternatively, if your host country decides that they won't help the EU, then the EU could well impose sanctions against yout business, meaning you won't be able to export to any EU countries (or import from them directly). Both could severely damage your business.

Being outside the EU is not an excuse if you are dealing with EU customers.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Sergiy - Friday, December 29, 2017 7:48 PM

Unless your country chooses to allow the EU to come after you in your country. Seems like they can do that from some of the commentary I have read.

Agree.But that would be a change in my country legislation, accepted by our parliament, published in a local official paper. But whatever they invent in EU or Zambia or Saudi Arabia - not my business.No matter citizen of which country has chosen to put his/her personal data in my database.

Actually, that's partly the point, they may not have done.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Saturday, December 30, 2017 5:35 AM

Lynn Pettis - Friday, December 29, 2017 4:32 PM

True, you could decide to "ignore it", however, like Lynn said the EU could then speak to your own government to persue fines and damages via them. Alternatively, if your host country decides that they won't help the EU, then the EU could well impose sanctions against yout business, meaning you won't be able to export to any EU countries (or import from them directly). Both could severely damage your business.

Being outside the EU is not an excuse if you are dealing with EU customers.

It'll be interesting to see how this turns out, the scope is horribly broad and requires a lot of work by companies that aren't based in the EU and seems contrary to the nature of the internet in general.  Is the EU trying to become the watch guards of the entire internet now?

• As it stands, this is really a disaster waiting to happen: https://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/1914914/using-araylist-in-stored-proc

Really hope the OP entertains fixing the real problem, and it's fixed, before any one starts looking at their actual question.

Thom~

Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Saturday, December 30, 2017 8:35 AM

As it stands, this is really a disaster waiting to happen: https://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/1914914/using-araylist-in-stored-proc

Really hope the OP entertains fixing the real problem, and it's fixed, before any one starts looking at their actual question.

And almost some 2 hours later, I wish I had ignored that post. >_<

Thom~

Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Saturday, December 30, 2017 10:25 AM

Thom A - Saturday, December 30, 2017 8:35 AM

As it stands, this is really a disaster waiting to happen: https://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/1914914/using-araylist-in-stored-proc

It looks like you put some real effort into that thread.  You gave them something pretty useful, even though I really don't think they understood the first thing about SQL injection.  Nice job.

• Ed Wagner - Saturday, December 30, 2017 1:37 PM

Thom A - Saturday, December 30, 2017 10:25 AM

Thom A - Saturday, December 30, 2017 8:35 AM

It looks like you put some real effort into that thread.  You gave them something pretty useful, even though I really don't think they understood the first thing about SQL injection.  Nice job.

Holy S**t, and I didn't even make it all the way into the OPs initial post.

Viewing 15 posts - 60,811 through 60,825 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply