Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Neil Burton - Thursday, September 7, 2017 1:01 AM

That basically sums it all up.  There is an application being developed (From scratch and not by the customer with whom we are directly working) to use hardware (That first needed to be invented by a third party, who at the time had no experience inventing such hardware and who have subsequently been replaced by another part of my organisation who are world leaders in our field but weren't allowed to bid initially coz politics and then could bid coz different politics), to do the job that the software we're currently supporting does.   It was supposed to have been knocked out within six months so temporary fixes were put in place.  Strangely, it turned into something of a lengthy project and it's why I'm still here three years and counting into a six month interim contract that should have ended with us being subsumed into the customer's IT department and then probably shown the door.  I feel the word sh!tpile I used earlier may slightly understate the ridiculousness of our situation.

Sounds like most projects now a days. You get a time line of 3-4 months, and 2-3 years down the line, you're still waiting and things are steadily getting worse with all the "temporary" measures you've put in that you knew would fall over after too much use (but that was fine, cause it would work for at least a year, and it would be gone in 4. Oh wait!). I suppose at least it's not Star Citizen... :hehe:

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Neil Burton - Thursday, September 7, 2017 1:01 AM

jonathan.crawford - Wednesday, September 6, 2017 1:18 PM

Brandie Tarvin - Wednesday, September 6, 2017 6:34 AM

Thanks...

BTW, aren't reports supposed to "report"? As in the idea is that applications change data, reports just tell you the state of the data. That's the way I've always seen the issue. It doesn't make sense to have a report that does application work.

because you're not allowed to develop applications, there's no budget for it and no project hours available, but you need to find a way to track something. so, you come up with bad ideas, pick the least bad one and do that.

That basically sums it all up.  There is an application being developed (From scratch and not by the customer with whom we are directly working) to use hardware (That first needed to be invented by a third party, who at the time had no experience inventing such hardware and who have subsequently been replaced by another part of my organisation who are world leaders in our field but weren't allowed to bid initially coz politics and then could bid coz different politics), to do the job that the software we're currently supporting does.   It was supposed to have been knocked out within six months so temporary fixes were put in place.  Strangely, it turned into something of a lengthy project and it's why I'm still here three years and counting into a six month interim contract that should have ended with us being subsumed into the customer's IT department and then probably shown the door.  I feel the word sh!tpile I used earlier may slightly understate the ridiculousness of our situation.

Um, you're not working on the F-35 in any way, are you?
    πŸ˜€:hehe:

• jasona.work - Thursday, September 7, 2017 4:33 AM

Neil Burton - Thursday, September 7, 2017 1:01 AM

jonathan.crawford - Wednesday, September 6, 2017 1:18 PM

Brandie Tarvin - Wednesday, September 6, 2017 6:34 AM

Thanks...

BTW, aren't reports supposed to "report"? As in the idea is that applications change data, reports just tell you the state of the data. That's the way I've always seen the issue. It doesn't make sense to have a report that does application work.

because you're not allowed to develop applications, there's no budget for it and no project hours available, but you need to find a way to track something. so, you come up with bad ideas, pick the least bad one and do that.

Um, you're not working on the F-35 in any way, are you?
    πŸ˜€:hehe:

Ha, I wish it was as straightforward as that!!

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    β€”Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• Luis Cazares - Wednesday, September 6, 2017 1:37 PM

Congratulations Brandie!
    Just take care as it seems that the weather won't be great for Florida these following dates.

Yeah, I've already queried the hospital on their hurricane response plan. Fortunately it's not in a mandatory evacuation zone.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin - Thursday, September 7, 2017 5:51 AM

Luis Cazares - Wednesday, September 6, 2017 1:37 PM

Congratulations Brandie!
    Just take care as it seems that the weather won't be great for Florida these following dates.

Yeah, I've already queried the hospital on their hurricane response plan. Fortunately it's not in a mandatory evacuation zone.

Sorry for the late Congratulations, Brandie.  All I can say is the fun is just beginning!

• What is the percentage improvement of process from 1 hour 30 minutes to 13 seconds, other than going plaid.

• Lynn Pettis - Thursday, September 7, 2017 2:33 PM

What is the percentage improvement of process from 1 hour 30 minutes to 13 seconds, other than going plaid.

LOL, you must be going ludicrous speed! :hehe:

• Chris Harshman - Thursday, September 7, 2017 3:04 PM

Lynn Pettis - Thursday, September 7, 2017 2:33 PM

What is the percentage improvement of process from 1 hour 30 minutes to 13 seconds, other than going plaid.

Amazing what you can do when you understand what it takes to work with data using linked servers.

• Where is the petition to ban JC?

• Lynn Pettis - Thursday, September 7, 2017 3:10 PM

Chris Harshman - Thursday, September 7, 2017 3:04 PM

Lynn Pettis - Thursday, September 7, 2017 2:33 PM

Amazing what you can do when you understand what it takes to work with data using linked servers.

Sounds like great article material, Lynn.  Go for it.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Lynn Pettis - Thursday, September 7, 2017 3:53 PM

Where is the petition to ban JC?

Nah... don't ban him.  He needs to take the same kind of s41t that he's been dishing out over the years.  If you ban him, we can't do that. πŸ˜‰

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Fellow Threadizens!

Today is my last day of work before Red Gate makes me take a six week sabbatical. I'll try answering a few questions today and then I'm off until October. Hold down the fort. Keep the powder dry. Remember to shoot the officers first.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Jeff Moden - Thursday, September 7, 2017 6:06 PM

Nah... don't ban him.  He needs to take the same kind of s41t that he's been dishing out over the years.  If you ban him, we can't do that. πŸ˜‰

I usually view his posts as comic relief, "here he goes again"

• Grant Fritchey - Friday, September 8, 2017 5:32 AM

Fellow Threadizens!

Today is my last day of work before Red Gate makes me take a six week sabbatical. I'll try answering a few questions today and then I'm off until October. Hold down the fort. Keep the powder dry. Remember to shoot the officers first.

Enjoy the time off! We'll make sure you have a cold beer or 2 ready when you get back (you might need it :hehe: ).

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Friday, September 8, 2017 7:09 AM

Enjoy the time off! We'll make sure you have a cold beer or 2 ready when you get back (you might need it :hehe: ).

Probably not. I'll be in Germany for Oktoberfest so...

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 15 posts - 59,866 through 59,880 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply