Are the posted questions getting worse?

• we have a new mod! NICE

• Lynn Pettis - Thursday, January 19, 2017 11:35 AM

Amazing, the answer to the problem was right there in the error message.  But of course people are no longer willing to do any troubleshooting before asking for help.

This is as bad as not being able to figure out how much change is owed for a 13.03 purchase when given 20.03 and you have rung up the purchase as if given 13.03 and having to get your coworker to help you who then grabs a calculator to figure out the change.

I remember being taught how to make change and write checks in my classes at school before I hit 6th grade. Apparently they don't teach those sorts of things anymore.

EDIT: Of course, my mom worked at a grocery store for many years. So I sort of learned her tricks for making change even if the wrong number was rung up in the register.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Hey, guys. I hope to have an article written by this afternoon for the site. It's about finding database dependencies.

Anyone interested in reviewing it before I submit it?

Also, if you send me a PM, mention it on the group so I can see if the new site is letting my PM work now.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Koen Verbeeck - Friday, January 20, 2017 2:02 AM

It seems there seems to be some issue with the points.
    I seem to have over 900 points in the last 30 days. I'm quite certain that I didn't do that much points (even answered that many questions).
    There's also a guy who has over 10,000 points in the last 30 days (there are only about 6,000 QotD points), so that is very remarkable, but probably very unlikely.

Maybe an issue with the voting on posts? For example, if I give a thumbs up on a post in this thread, every time someone posts in this thread, that points is double counted?

I noticed the same thing.  That user got 10K points in the past 30 days and that's also their total points.
    I saw other users who haven't logged in for years get a pile of points.  There's most likely a bug somewhere.

• Ed Wagner - Friday, January 20, 2017 5:45 AM

Koen Verbeeck - Friday, January 20, 2017 2:02 AM

I seem to have over 900 points in the last 30 days. I'm quite certain that I didn't do that much points (even answered that many questions).
    There's also a guy who has over 10,000 points in the last 30 days (there are only about 6,000 QotD points), so that is very remarkable, but probably very unlikely.

Maybe an issue with the voting on posts? For example, if I give a thumbs up on a post in this thread, every time someone posts in this thread, that points is double counted?

I noticed the same thing.  That user got 10K points in the past 30 days and that's also their total points.
    I saw other users who haven't logged in for years get a pile of points.  There's most likely a bug somewhere.

That might be an issue from the migration to the new forum software. But that's just my hypothesis.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Ed Wagner - Friday, January 20, 2017 5:45 AM

Koen Verbeeck - Friday, January 20, 2017 2:02 AM

But if we can figure out how they did it, one of us might be able to get more points that Gail and Jeff combined! :Whistling:

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• The points seem weird because there was a migration from the old db to the new, and for some users this was done as a batch of points. I'm not entirely sure what the code was here, mainly because the migration included a bunch of crappy C# data movement and I didn't feel like digging in.

We are looking to try and backdate that migration, which should help clean up points. I hope.

There are a few more bug fixes going out here and there.

• Welcome to SQLServer Central, where everything's made up and the points don't matter!

• I'm sure we all appreciate the work the team has put in on the new forums, I'd like to make a small, tiny suggestion...
    Add in a filter to auto-delete (or at least hide and alert a mod) any post with a subject line that contains "cheap kitchens"?

Yeah, the kitchen spammers are back...

• jasona.work - Friday, January 20, 2017 10:11 AM

I'm sure we all appreciate the work the team has put in on the new forums, I'd like to make a small, tiny suggestion...
    Add in a filter to auto-delete (or at least hide and alert a mod) any post with a subject line that contains "cheap kitchens"?

Ooo, leave one, I'm in the middle of buying a flat, I might get some good bargains!

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Friday, January 20, 2017 10:13 AM

jasona.work - Friday, January 20, 2017 10:11 AM

I'm sure we all appreciate the work the team has put in on the new forums, I'd like to make a small, tiny suggestion...

Ooo, leave one, I'm in the middle of buying a flat, I might get some good bargains!

Clearly, you have worked too much this week.  I think it's time to lock your computer, step away from it, have a beer (or seven) and get some rest. 😉

• Ed Wagner - Friday, January 20, 2017 10:17 AM

Thom A - Friday, January 20, 2017 10:13 AM

Clearly, you have worked too much this week.  I think it's time to lock your computer, step away from it, have a beer (or seven) and get some rest. 😉

mmmmmm.....beer........

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• jasona.work - Friday, January 20, 2017 8:06 AM

Welcome to SQLServer Central, where everything's made up and the points don't matter!

For that, you get a "no point" award. @=)

• Thom A - Friday, January 20, 2017 10:13 AM

And I need a kitchen sink for my article!

• Brandie Tarvin - Friday, January 20, 2017 10:41 AM

jasona.work - Friday, January 20, 2017 8:06 AM

Welcome to SQLServer Central, where everything's made up and the points don't matter!

For that, you get a "no point" award. @=)

Viewing 15 posts - 57,211 through 57,225 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply