Are the posted questions getting worse?

• ThomasRushton (12/16/2016)

Brandie Tarvin (12/16/2016)

Beware the Twitter list. For it is a way of defining you and boxing you into a corner!

Actually, lists can be followed as a whole (I don't remember how) so people don't have to follow individuals to get the gist of what people generally tweet about.

Oh dear, I appear to have deleted it. So sorry. Do you want the spam restored so that you can get the details down for your orders? 😛

OK, what happened there? I went to reply to GrumpyDBA, and failed to read what I was quoting...

Hmm. More coffee required.

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

• I think you got hit by the infamous 'quote bug'. But don't let that prevent the additional coffee intake.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin (12/16/2016)

I think you got hit by the infamous 'quote bug'. But don't let that prevent the additional coffee intake.

No danger of that... assuming I can find the time to go get some lunch...

Thomas Rushton

• Phil Parkin (12/16/2016)

I think you got hit by the infamous 'quote bug'. But don't let that prevent the additional coffee intake.

Which, for the record, occurs consistently when someone else posts to the topic *after* yoy loaded/refresehd the page but *before* you hit the "Quote" button.

When I see it in time (i.e. while composing the message and before sending), I copy the text I typed so far to the clipboard, go back to the forum page, refresh, find the post I wanted to reply to, hit "Quote" again, double-check, paste from clipboard what I already had, then continue typing the process. As you see, a very easy 7-step process. :w00t:

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• Hugo Kornelis (12/16/2016)

Phil Parkin (12/16/2016)

Which, for the record, occurs consistently when someone else posts to the topic *after* yoy loaded/refresehd the page but *before* you hit the "Quote" button.

When I see it in time (i.e. while composing the message and before sending), I copy the text I typed so far to the clipboard, go back to the forum page, refresh, find the post I wanted to reply to, hit "Quote" again, double-check, paste from clipboard what I already had, then continue typing the process. As you see, a very easy 7-step process. :w00t:

I feel ashamed for being unable to complete such a straightforward process.

Thomas Rushton

• ThomasRushton (12/16/2016)

Phil Parkin (12/16/2016)

No danger of that... assuming I can find the time to go get some lunch...

Who needs lunch when you're taking BOOTY POP? Leave the lunch. Take the BOOTY POP. (Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.)

• Siiiiiigggggghhhhh.

You would think when I get an alert that a log file drive is full in a non-prod system the first thing I would look at is whether or not the DB is in FULL or SIMPLE recovery model.

But no. First I spend time chasing a job bug trying to figure out what the broken job did to my database instead of realizing the problem is the other way 'round.

<headdesk>

I love "working while sick" days. Fortunately I'm almost over this stupid cold and am actually remembering that A comes before X on some occasions. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Saw Rouge One last night.

I think it's the best one so far.

And tonight, I get to do the production upgrade to SQL 2016.

Today we heard that none of the SSRS reports are working in DEV, QA, and Stage on 2016.

Nobody tested them till now????

All is not lost, it was only a matter of changing the data sources.

Can you say flapping between the heights of exhilaration and the depths of despair???

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Grumpy DBA (12/16/2016)

Wow, today's spam includes a warning about BOOTY POP... dang, just as I was about to order cases of BOOTY POP for my family and friends for Christmas. After all, don't we all want "Ideal for Round and Booty Pop Tight Butt"?

I've already got one. When someone tells me to "haul ***", I have to make two trips. 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Brandie Tarvin (12/12/2016)

Gah. Less than a week until my parents visit for two weeks and I catch a cold. The last thing I need to do is give it to them because they have their own health issues and a cold would just make things worse (and miserable) for them.

Time to load up on chicken soup / broth as well as zinc (or as much as I can load up on without causing additional health issues).

On the plus side, if I kick this out really fast, we have some majorly fun plans.

Try a gram a daty of ascorbic acid - you can probably get a decent amount of zince combined with it in tablets, and it's a lot more useful than xinc on its own. Ideally spread it out into several separate dozes over the day. Chicken broth is great, but chicken plus some vegetable is greater (and a decent chicken garbanzado is a really good stew and much better than English or American plain chicken broth). And eat braoilleagan (blaeberries? arandnos? blueberries? whatever you Americans call them) too.

Tom

• Hugo Kornelis (12/16/2016)

Phil Parkin (12/16/2016)

For me, it's hit quote, check it's right, type stuff, copy and delete (CTRL+X), back, refresh, reply plus, paste. send. Almost always works. Why I should I have to clown about like that is utterly beyond my comprehension, but Redgate has had that lunatic bug for as long as I can remember. I would have been very unhappy if any development team I managed had ever allowed such a stupid bug to get into QA, and really pissed off if the QA people had let it out of the door. I have to admit that I've been very unhappy and really pissed off on occasion, but I will say that I have never allowed such a bug to persist for anything like so long after it was first drawn to my attention, and I'm pretty appalled that Redgate has - it tends to reduce my trust in their competence.

Tom

• Grant Fritchey (12/16/2016)

Oh no.

Don't let anyone do that. It's horrible. Quick, go and change your password and your handle...

OK. Kidding. It's nothing. It means that someone is managing the accounts they follow by organizing them into lists. You can turn off the alerts that tell you you've been added. I actually like to see them so I know how I'm being categorized ('Prat' and 'Stupid Prat' seem to come up a lot).

You obviously rate higher than me. No-one (as far as I can tell) has yet added me to a list.

I guess when (if ever) someone does I'll destroy my twitter account.

I already get more (a couple per week) crap messages from it than I want (and no useful ones at all).

Tom

• Michael L John (12/16/2016)

Saw Rouge One last night.

Today we heard that none of the SSRS reports are working in DEV, QA, and Stage on 2016.

Can you say flapping between the heights of exhilaration and the depths of despair???

Well, how did it go? If it wasn't tested and confirmed, I would have put off the upgrade.

• Ed Wagner (12/18/2016)

Michael L John (12/16/2016)

Saw Rogue One last night.

Well, how did it go? If it wasn't tested and confirmed, I would have put off the upgrade.

The movie, or the upgrade? The movie was tremendous, the upgrade was a piece o' cake.

Downtime was less than 2 hours. Spent more time waiting for re-boots of the various servers than anything else.

I left one thing out. I neglected to tell any of the other departments, like support,the names of the new servers.

The only thing I'm seeing that's concerning is pretty high write latency on the tempdb drive. They are local drives, so I need to look into the configuration again.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• I am 90% sure that I will be going to sqlbits in April, anyone else know if they will be there?

Viewing 15 posts - 56,926 through 56,940 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply