Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Lynn Pettis (8/25/2016)

Actually, question 17 is correct. The default port for SQL Server is 1433.

1 out of 38...sounds like a passing grade to me. πŸ˜›

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange (8/25/2016)

Lynn Pettis (8/25/2016)

Actually, question 17 is correct. The default port for SQL Server is 1433.

1 out of 38...sounds like a passing grade to me. πŸ˜›

For the coddled masses, sure.

• I miss being coddled :crying:

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

Got to the following from a LinkedIn email. Not sure about a few of the answers.

https://intellipaat.com/interview-question/sql-interview-questions/

"First, a row is processed in the outer doubt" :w00t:

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

Got to the following from a LinkedIn email. Not sure about a few of the answers.

groan.

These sample questions are framed by experts from Intellipaat who trains for SQL Training to give you an idea of type of questions which may be asked in interview.

Even the first paragraph gives you an idea how the rest is going to go. Apparently they don't understand tense and they love prepositional phrases.

EDIT: Just looking at question #1, if I'd seen that explanation for BCP Bulk-Logged when I first started out, I think it would have completely ruined my ability to learn anything about SQL Server. Wow... Ouch... YIKES.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (8/26/2016)

Lynn Pettis (8/25/2016)

groan.

These sample questions are framed by experts from Intellipaat who trains for SQL Training to give you an idea of type of questions which may be asked in interview.

Even the first paragraph gives you an idea how the rest is going to go. Apparently they don't understand tense and they love prepositional phrases.

EDIT: Just looking at question #1, if I'd seen that explanation for BCP Bulk-Logged when I first started out, I think it would have completely ruined my ability to learn anything about SQL Server. Wow... Ouch... YIKES.

I love reading about the Buffer CASH :w00t:

• BLOB_EATER (8/26/2016)

Brandie Tarvin (8/26/2016)

Lynn Pettis (8/25/2016)

groan.

I thought the Buffer Cash is where my 401k is stored. Are you saying that I'm wrong?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (8/26/2016)

BLOB_EATER (8/26/2016)

Brandie Tarvin (8/26/2016)

Lynn Pettis (8/25/2016)

groan.

I thought the Buffer Cash is where my 401k is stored. Are you saying that I'm wrong?

Well with such low interest rates in the UK right now, that's where I store my spare cash!

Rodders...

• Jeff Moden (8/25/2016)

Michael L John (8/25/2016)

Ray K (8/24/2016)

Ed Wagner (8/23/2016)

Ray K (8/23/2016)

Woo-hoo! Just found out that I'm speaking at SQL Saturday #545 in Pittsburgh!

Congratulations, Ray. I hope to see you there. I don't know if I'm speaking in the last session of the WBADBA track or not, so I don't know if I'll make your session.

Thanks! I also saw that Jeff Moden is on the speaker's list as well. Looking forward to meeting more Threadizens in person!

Looking forward to meeting you. When are you coming in?

Thursday evening for Ed and I. We are co-presenting on a Friday precon.

On that note, if any Threadizens are going to be around Pittsburgh, PA on October 1, the SQL Saturday will be at the the Pittsburgh Technical Institute. The event page is http://www.sqlsaturday.com/545/eventhome.aspx. I've been to the Pittsburgh event before and they really know how to put together a nice event.

The precon Jeff and I are doing should be pretty good if anyone's interested in attending. They also have a WBADBA (Wanna Be A DBA) track that they should be filling in soon. It's a track that's aimed at helping people understand what it means to be a DBA to help with career development.

• Grant Fritchey (8/25/2016)

Eirikur Eiriksson (8/25/2016)

Taking my girls (7 & 9) to New York this weekend, does anyone have a suggestion on what to do there for their age?

😎

The Metropolitan Museum of Art has an entire Egyptian temple inside. That's one of my favorite places to take kids. Lots to see. My favorite in the same location is the arms & armor exhibit. Then there's all the real art. Lots to see and it's in AC (supposed to be somewhat around here this weekend). Across the park is the Natural History Museum. Who doesn't love dinosaurs?

I second Grant's ideas - my daughter's 10 and she loves both of those places (we live in Manhattan). There both right on Central Park which is a great place to just truck around.

She also likes both of these restaurants; IMO the food's not very good, but the the kids go for them:

Jekyll & Hyde Club (haunted house themed pub food)

Ninja (ninja themed Japanese food)

If you want to avoid the themed restaurants and focus just on good food, there are plenty of places to get great Chinese, Indian, Italian, Mexican. Let me know if you need any specific suggestions.

Hope you have a blast

• Steve Thompson-454462 (8/26/2016)

Grant Fritchey (8/25/2016)

Taking my girls (7 & 9) to New York this weekend, does anyone have a suggestion on what to do there for their age?

😎

The Metropolitan Museum of Art has an entire Egyptian temple inside. That's one of my favorite places to take kids. Lots to see. My favorite in the same location is the arms & armor exhibit. Then there's all the real art. Lots to see and it's in AC (supposed to be somewhat around here this weekend). Across the park is the Natural History Museum. Who doesn't love dinosaurs?

I second Grant's ideas - my daughter's 10 and she loves both of those places (we live in Manhattan). There both right on Central Park which is a great place to just truck around.

She also likes both of these restaurants; IMO the food's not very good, but the the kids go for them:

If you want to avoid the themed restaurants and focus just on good food, there are plenty of places to get great Chinese, Indian, Italian, Mexican. Let me know if you need any specific suggestions.

Hope you have a blast

Coincidentally, I'll be in NY next weekend and would like to hear your Chinese restaurant recommendations ...

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• GilaMonster (8/25/2016)

If you were to attend a keynote presentation on "New features of SQL 2016", would you prefer brief demos of each new feature? Just discussion, along with code/screenshots on slides, and use the time to get into detail on each new feature?

Keynote's only 1 hour, so not time to do both. I'm leaning towards the latter, similar to the SQLBits keynote from last year, or the day 2/3 keynotes from PASS the last few years.

The latter , code/screenshots on slides and a bit more detail.

• Steve Thompson-454462 (8/26/2016)

😎

Hope you have a blast

Jekyll & Hyde is fun. Shame that the Jack the Ripper Pub they opened nearby didn't make it. It was even more fun.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Phil Parkin (8/26/2016)

Steve Thompson-454462 (8/26/2016)

😎

Hope you have a blast

Coincidentally, I'll be in NY next weekend and would like to hear your Chinese restaurant recommendations ...

Go to Canal street. Face east. Turn right on Mott. Go down a block. Turn right. Thai restaurant on your right. I don't know the address or the name, but I loved that place. They bring out sauces to the table so you can spice your own food. Great stuff.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• would like to hear your Chinese restaurant recommendations ...

Go to Canal street. Face east. Turn right on Mott. Go down a block. Turn right. Thai restaurant on your right.

Hmm... :-).

Viewing 15 posts - 55,531 through 55,545 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply