Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Luis Cazares (5/24/2015)

Would someone be interested on helping me to proofread an article that I'm planning to submit to SQLServerCentral? It's about while loops not being evil. 😀

Wow. Talk about crossing lines... (j/k)

I do actually like WHILE loops on occasion.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Nothing wrong with while loops. I'm about to start a batch of WHILE @Done != 0 INSERT INTO ... SELECT TOP (@n) FROM ... on a client's server

Tool...Job.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • spaghettidba (5/26/2015)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (5/25/2015)

Jeff Moden (5/25/2015)

TomThomson (5/23/2015)

LinksUp (5/23/2015)

When I see that Joe Celko has posted a message I know that some level of entertainment will be attained:rolleyes:. I guess he crossed some boundary. It seems every single one of his posts have been deleted! I am guessing that if his posts are deleted, then he has probably been banned from posting to any of the forums here. (Don't know if this is a life time ban or if it has a time limit!) To bad. With his knowledge, he could have helped a lot of people here.

I guess this has also eliminated all the comments on his articles (although it hasn't eliminated the articles themselves).

If that's true, then I'm seriously disappointed. He's been horribly nasty to a great many people and his old posts should be allowed to continue as a testament as to his nasty attitude. Banning, on the other hand, I completely understand and whole heartedly support.

He has been banned, and unfortunately, posts deleted. The "Ban" button locks the account, but also deletes posts. I forgot that when I clicked it and it was too late then.

I may see if I can get something done on a restore to recover some of these.

Did he do something particular to deserve the ban? I mean, something different from the usual things?

He's been downright mean to a lot of people. It would be nice if his old posts were kept, but if they can't be, then so be it. I noticed something weird must have happened when I came back from a mini-vacation and saw he posted on one of my threads, but his post wasn't there. Personally, while it would have been nice to keep the old posts, I don't think it's worth a tremendous effort to recover them.

• Brandie Tarvin (5/26/2015)

Luis Cazares (5/24/2015)

Would someone be interested on helping me to proofread an article that I'm planning to submit to SQLServerCentral? It's about while loops not being evil. 😀

Wow. Talk about crossing lines... (j/k)

I do actually like WHILE loops on occasion.

I use WHILE loops myself when they're appropriate. My procedure to process backups loops through them and catches errors along the way. Like anything else, they have their place. The place is just smaller than many people seem to think it is.

• SQLRNNR (5/22/2015)

Jack Corbett (5/22/2015)

Question, how many of you work in an open work space? If you do, what are your thoughts?

My employer just finished a renovation and I'm moving into an open work space environment, and I'm not real existed about it.

Do not like them. I have clients that use them and it just doesn't work.

You know the saying about fences and neighbors? Well same thing applies in the work space.

I think that hits the nail on the head. I used to work in a cubicle environment and is was okay. They then decided that we should have a more open environment, so they removed all the bookcases that made the cubicles and left only the desks. It sucked and I hated it. There were so many distractions that it was much harder to concentrate. Privacy was almost non-existent, so working with sensitive data became problematic. I can't think of anything good to say about it.

I now work for a company where I'm in my own office and I like it. There's privacy, less distractions and far less socializing. It all contributes to getting actual work done.

The temperature is another matter. The HVAC systems of some buildings just don't work well. At least offices permit some use of fans and portable heaters.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (5/25/2015)

Jeff Moden (5/25/2015)

TomThomson (5/23/2015)

LinksUp (5/23/2015)

When I see that Joe Celko has posted a message I know that some level of entertainment will be attained:rolleyes:. I guess he crossed some boundary. It seems every single one of his posts have been deleted! I am guessing that if his posts are deleted, then he has probably been banned from posting to any of the forums here. (Don't know if this is a life time ban or if it has a time limit!) To bad. With his knowledge, he could have helped a lot of people here.

I guess this has also eliminated all the comments on his articles (although it hasn't eliminated the articles themselves).

If that's true, then I'm seriously disappointed. He's been horribly nasty to a great many people and his old posts should be allowed to continue as a testament as to his nasty attitude. Banning, on the other hand, I completely understand and whole heartedly support.

He has been banned, and unfortunately, posts deleted. The "Ban" button locks the account, but also deletes posts. I forgot that when I clicked it and it was too late then.

I may see if I can get something done on a restore to recover some of these.

I wouldn't bust a hump on it. Although there were a few that were helpful, most were just inappropriate rants.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (5/25/2015)

He has been banned

Was this you then, restoring deleted posts? http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1688705.aspx

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Luis Cazares (5/24/2015)

You can send it my way if you would like.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• GilaMonster (5/26/2015)

He has been banned

Was this you then, restoring deleted posts? http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1688705.aspx

I suppose he's attempting a comeback and being banned again.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• I know while loops aren't bad even if they're used for data processing and not administrative tasks. That's why I wrote the article, to show how loops can be set-based programming and to prevent people from saying: "Loops? not in a thousand lifetimes".

That said, I want to thank you for offering to review the article. Hopefully, it won't be that bad.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares (5/26/2015)

I know while loops aren't bad even if they're used for data processing and not administrative tasks. That's why I wrote the article, to show how loops can be set-based programming and to prevent people from saying: "Loops? not in a thousand lifetimes".

That said, I want to thank you for offering to review the article. Hopefully, it won't be that bad.

I would be happy to be on your proof readers list too if you want.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• GilaMonster (5/26/2015)

He has been banned

I did unhide one of the posts marked as SPAM that wasn't (OP posting code/data/link), but that's it. I have a restore of last weeks's db to go through. Need to decide how to restore posts for Mr. Celko.

• Not to get into a big discussion, but more than a few people on staff felt that some posts had gotten a bit too out of hand and overreacting to the questions being asked.

I do try to allow differing opinions, and while I know most of you have felt that the posts are too unprofessional, I think many of them have been harsh, but not personal attacks, so I've been loathe to censor things I don't like. I try to avoid that when possible.

• Anyone with more knowledge of Log Shipping want to step into this one?

• Just curious how many people on The Thread are World Cup fans. Cause... STUFF and MORE STUFF.

And I was wondering how y'all felt about it.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 15 posts - 48,616 through 48,630 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply