Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Late to the gender bias thing as I've been skiing all week. Not to open wounds, but I liked this: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/blogs/databases-infrastructure-security/2015/03/18/women-in-technology/

• And I didn't respond last weekend because I bought this:

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (3/27/2015)

And I didn't respond last weekend because I bought this:

BWAAA-HAAA!!!!! SPAM REPORTED!!! 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• So freaking tired. Have to be awake for DR exercise in middle of the night.

WHERE'S MY FREAKIN' EMERGENCY CHOCOLATE?

bleargh.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Late to the gender bias thing as I've been skiing all week. Not to open wounds, but I liked this: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/blogs/databases-infrastructure-security/2015/03/18/women-in-technology/

Thanks for point that out, Steve. The comments on that blog definitely point out why the #YesAllWomen hashtag got so popular on Twitter.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Jeff Moden (3/27/2015)

Ha, you're jealous because I ignored Detroit.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (3/30/2015)

Jeff Moden (3/27/2015)

Ha, you're jealous because I ignored Detroit.

Nah, he knows better;-)

😎

Late to the gender bias thing as I've been skiing all week. Not to open wounds, but I liked this: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/blogs/databases-infrastructure-security/2015/03/18/women-in-technology/

I think I'm going to steal this phrase:

I’ve never seen Paris, but that doesn’t mean Paris doesn’t exist.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (3/30/2015)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (3/27/2015)

I think I'm going to steal this phrase:

I’ve never seen Paris, but that doesn’t mean Paris doesn’t exist.

Yes, that last comment is a good one. And the second comment (to which it was a response, I guess) was appalling, as were also the fourth and fifth comments. I guess the article itself is saying that the author has always been somewhere where women are accepted as as good as men and he doesn't understand why some men don't recognise that - he's pretty clearly saying that he's not claiming there's not a problem. it would be nice if all the world could be like that.

But, Paris? Me, I've never seen Paris and I would be utterly astounded if he (or either of his fathers-in-law) existed.

Perhaps Paris wasn't the best choice of city or sight for that saying.

Tom

• First day back to work after 4 weeks off. Felt like a new employee. I didn't know where my cube was, my laptop would not connect to the network, I have no real idea what I will be doing yet.

The 4 weeks went by too fast, but the last week was fun, went on a college road trip with Kylie, and got to visit with Kirisa and see the Grand Canyon with them both.

Also, bought a new car two weeks ago with the help of my oldest daughter, Kassondra. I have a new 2015 Kia Optima LX, bought and paid for. Kylie and I put 3700+ miles on the car between 3/21 and 3/29. Awesome on gas. Hill City, SD to home in Widefield, CO on ONE tank of gas, 452.0 miles, still had 1/8th of a tank (about 4 gallons as I filled up this morning and only put in 14 gallons).

• TomThomson (3/30/2015)

And the second comment (to which it was a response, I guess) was appalling

Yeah, that one had me seeing red. While school was a fairly long time ago and I don't remember clearly, I do recall a number of incidents (including from female teachers/counselors) encouraging me not to pursue the sciences, pointing out that sci-fi books weren't 'appropriate' or suggesting that an 'easier' set of degree subjects should be selected.

But, Paris? Me, I've never seen Paris and I would be utterly astounded if he (or either of his fathers-in-law) existed.

Perhaps Paris wasn't the best choice of city or sight for that saying.

That would probably get you a blank stare from many people. 🙂

I was thinking of using the slight variation:

I've been to Paris 5 times and I have not once seen the Eiffel Tower. Therefore the Eiffel Tower does not exist!

Ok, the 5 times I've been to Paris have been 4 to the Airport and 1 where I only saw the inside of two train stations and the Paris Metro and so shouldn't expect to have seen the Eiffel Tower, but I think the phrase works better without the explanation.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Nice attitude...

if you had type this in the first place, then i would not have shouted... hehe

Thank you for your First informative reply.

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster (3/31/2015)

Nice attitude...

You're far too kind. I have told him to cast to varchar.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• spaghettidba (3/31/2015)

GilaMonster (3/31/2015)

Nice attitude...

You're far too kind. I have told him to cast to varchar.

Not efficient as it prevents index seeks, not that a text column can have indexes, but I don't like teaching bad options.

He has, however, found his way onto my blacklist for the attitude.

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster (3/31/2015)

Not efficient as it prevents index seeks, not that a text column can have indexes, but I don't like teaching bad options.

Exactly my point: a bad option is what he would have deserved.

-- Gianluca Sartori

Viewing 15 posts - 47,971 through 47,985 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply