Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Sioban Krzywicki (1/21/2015)

I hope everyone here is ok with it too...

To be honest, I don't care if someone's eyes are on stems and they leave snail tracks. Your contributions to this community, your abilities to solve problems, and the nature of how you do such things are all that matter, ol' friend. Long live Sioban!

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (1/21/2015)

Sioban Krzywicki (1/21/2015)

To be honest, I don't care if someone's eyes are on stems and they leave snail tracks. Your contributions to this community, your abilities to solve problems, and the nature of how you do such things are all that matter, ol' friend. Long live Sioban!

Thank you!

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

Jeff Moden (1/21/2015)

Thank you!

No ma'am. Thank you! You're one of the best.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (1/21/2015)

Jeff Moden (1/21/2015)

Thank you!

No ma'am. Thank you! You're one of the best.

And now I'm likely blushing.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.

Anyway, hi! I'm Sioban. Sioban Jeanne Krzywicki. If you want the full name (that it'll be as soon as I finish all the legal paperwork, probably a month or so of filing papers) it is Sioban Jeanne Ayla Kara Krzywicki.

Bonus points to anyone who knows where the third and fourth names come from.

I can’t begin to imagine how much courage that must have taken, every step of the way, not just the last one. Enjoy the new hardware. Can we call you Shiv?

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• ChrisM@Work (1/21/2015)

Anyway, hi! I'm Sioban. Sioban Jeanne Krzywicki. If you want the full name (that it'll be as soon as I finish all the legal paperwork, probably a month or so of filing papers) it is Sioban Jeanne Ayla Kara Krzywicki.

I can’t begin to imagine how much courage that must have taken, every step of the way, not just the last one. Enjoy the new hardware. Can we call you Shiv?

Thanks! It has been a long road. Several long roads, really.

And yes? I don't think a nickname has come up, but that's as good as any. : -)

The question is if I can get my name changed on the articles I've written here. : -)

Sure thing. I think if you change your author name, it changes the articles. Send me a PM if you have any issues.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (1/21/2015)

The question is if I can get my name changed on the articles I've written here. : -)

Sure thing. I think if you change your author name, it changes the articles. Send me a PM if you have any issues.

Thanks Steve! I'll go figure that out later today.

Jeff Moden (1/21/2015)

Thank you!

To be honest, I have a problem with this. I was used to your name and now I have to do an update in my great_people table (and I need to find the SP which I rarely use). I'd have the same problem if you just changed your name.

Otherwise, congratulations on this great step. I'm sure that this is important to you and I thank you for sharing this with us.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares (1/21/2015)

Jeff Moden (1/21/2015)

Thank you!

To be honest, I have a problem with this. I was used to your name and now I have to do an update in my great_people table (and I need to find the SP which I rarely use). I'd have the same problem if you just changed your name.

Otherwise, congratulations on this great step. I'm sure that this is important to you and I thank you for sharing this with us.

Thanks! Sorry about the need to update. If only I could take care of that when I'm taking care of the 9 million other places I need to change it! : -)

Hi everyone,

I have a bit of an announcement and a question.

I'm Transgender. I've come out as a woman in nearly every aspect of my life now and am at my first day of work as a woman. I hope everyone here is ok with it too, I've come to like you all quite a bit.

I see how to change my name on my account and I'll go do that here in a minute. I'm just not sure it'll cascade to everything else.

Your courage is nothing short of inspiring. Congrats!!!

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange (1/21/2015)

Hi everyone,

I have a bit of an announcement and a question.

I'm Transgender. I've come out as a woman in nearly every aspect of my life now and am at my first day of work as a woman. I hope everyone here is ok with it too, I've come to like you all quite a bit.

I see how to change my name on my account and I'll go do that here in a minute. I'm just not sure it'll cascade to everything else.

Your courage is nothing short of inspiring. Congrats!!!

• ... Mark one off, 39 days on the calendar to go. 39 days on the calendar to go, 39 days to go, ...

... Mark one off, 38 days on the calendar to go. 38 days on the calendar to go, 38 days to go, ...

Congrats, Sioban. I think this is extraordinarily brave of you. I look forward to learning how to pronounce your new name.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (1/21/2015)

Congrats, Sioban. I think this extraordinarily brave of you. I look forward to learning how to pronounce your new name.

Thanks Brandie!

It is Sha-Vaughn. If I knew how to type a schwa I would. That'd replace the first "a". It is somewhere between a short a and "uh"

I'm glad to see you back. I missed our chats.

Viewing 15 posts - 47,026 through 47,040 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply