• jcrawf02 (11/26/2014)

Stuart Davies (11/26/2014)

Eirikur Eiriksson (11/26/2014)

WayneS (11/26/2014)

..what the vote count was..

If I remember correctly it was 135 after my vote

😎

Mine made it 143

it's showing 147 right now, and when I tried to vote it up to 148, the website says "Voting is no longer enabled on this item" :angry:

That's weird. I voted and it moved the count from 146 to 147 this morning about 45 minutes ago. The status is still active, so I don't know what their problem is.

• Ed Wagner (11/26/2014)

jcrawf02 (11/26/2014)

WayneS (11/26/2014)

😎

Mine made it 143

it's showing 147 right now, and when I tried to vote it up to 148, the website says "Voting is no longer enabled on this item" :angry:

That's weird. I voted and it moved the count from 146 to 147 this morning about 45 minutes ago. The status is still active, so I don't know what their problem is.

I've just voted, now 150.

• Gazareth (11/26/2014)

Ed Wagner (11/26/2014)

jcrawf02 (11/26/2014)

WayneS (11/26/2014)

😎

Mine made it 143

I've just voted, now 150.

Yeah, connect has hiccups like that from time to time.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• WayneS (11/26/2014)

Jeff - do you happen to know what the vote count was before you posted your request to up-vote the connect item?

I forgot to write it down but I think it was in the 120's. Not sure.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Voted. 153 now.

Sujeet Singh

• It's time to allow for moderators (privileged forum users) to be able to delete spam.

Most of the succesful forums/boards/whatever have this. Just not SQLServerCentral.

I think as long as the SQLServerCentral team can reverse actions done by the volunteer mods, what can be the issue?

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Divine Flame (11/26/2014)

Voted. 153 now.

Now 167.

Needs quite a few more vote, I think.

Tom

• TomThomson (11/28/2014)

Divine Flame (11/26/2014)

Voted. 153 now.

Now 167.

Needs quite a few more vote, I think.

Agreed. I'll try to submit an "editorial" for inclusion on the front page for sometime next week. It would be really cool if we could get MS to retrofit this to 2012 and 2014. That's provided that they don't make it slower than Itzik's cascading CTEs. 🙂

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (11/28/2014)

It would be really cool if we could get MS to retrofit this to 2012 and 2014.

Snowball's chance in hell.

They don't back-port features, can't think of any cases where they ever have. Bug fixes, yes. Features no. That's if the connect item isn't 'closed won't fix' like most are

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (11/30/2014)

Jeff Moden (11/28/2014)

It would be really cool if we could get MS to retrofit this to 2012 and 2014.

Snowball's chance in hell.

They don't back-port features, can't think of any cases where they ever have. Bug fixes, yes. Features no. That's if the connect item isn't 'closed won't fix' like most are

Yeah... understood. If it were a bug, maybe a different story.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Koen Verbeeck (11/27/2014)

It's time to allow for moderators (privileged forum users) to be able to delete spam.

Most of the succesful forums/boards/whatever have this. Just not SQLServerCentral.

I think as long as the SQLServerCentral team can reverse actions done by the volunteer mods, what can be the issue?

As long as the SSC administrators can see and undo what the external moderators do, I'm all in favor of it. I'm sure we all remember when The Thread was lost and then only mostly recovered. If there's a way to fully recover deleted threads, I think it's a great idea. I wouldn't mind having that ability myself, especially if I try to read the forum on the weekends.

There also has to be a good mechanism for blocking posts that doesn't drag down the site's performance. I think that poor performance is worse than lots of spam, but realize I may be in the minority there.

• Ed Wagner (11/30/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (11/27/2014)

It's time to allow for moderators (privileged forum users) to be able to delete spam.

As long as the SSC administrators can see and undo what the external moderators do, I'm all in favor of it. I'm sure we all remember when The Thread was lost and then only mostly recovered. If there's a way to fully recover deleted threads, I think it's a great idea. I wouldn't mind having that ability myself, especially if I try to read the forum on the weekends.

There also has to be a good mechanism for blocking posts that doesn't drag down the site's performance. I think that poor performance is worse than lots of spam, but realize I may be in the minority there.

The issue is that the forum privileges don't make this easy. I can't give "hide" to someone, I can only give edit and delete. I dislike Edit, as I almost never edit anything. I'd hate to pass that judgement on to others. If delete goes, then we don't have a record. I could build a trigger, but then I'd have to build tooling to recover things as well. Don't have that time right now.

• Ed Wagner (11/30/2014)

I think it depends on the spam volume. I haven't looked at new posts much recently - got fed up with seeing only one (or sometimes two) non-spam messages out of 117 messages shown at weekends, and not enough time during the rest of the week. I think if real messages had been visible at weekends I would have looked at them.

But this is the last of my 10 days stuck back in England, trying to catch up with things while surviving the foul climate; I'll be rejoining my wife where there's (relatively) civilised weather tomorrow and may find more free time.

Tom

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (12/1/2014)

Ed Wagner (11/30/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (11/27/2014)

The issue is that the forum privileges don't make this easy. I can't give "hide" to someone, I can only give edit and delete. I dislike Edit, as I almost never edit anything. I'd hate to pass that judgement on to others. If delete goes, then we don't have a record. I could build a trigger, but then I'd have to build tooling to recover things as well. Don't have that time right now.

How about granting a "move" permission to send the thread to a forum that doesn't get listed in the recent posts/active threads lists? I'm not sure what that implies.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • duplicate - deleted.

Tom

Viewing 15 posts - 46,471 through 46,485 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply