Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Got it. For those of us that have no such life, the weekends are usually the best time to enjoy SSC. I find the spam to be incredibly annoying and would be happy to have the privs to drop only the most obvious spam (and most of it is horribly obvious).

Still, there's something much worse going on here on the weekends because almost none of the real posts under "posts added today" are showing up at all regardless of when they were entered.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• FINALLY!!!! The hidden explanation that we've all been looking for...

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• I'm not sure it's completely backwards. Hundreds of messages are being deleted.

The problem on Fri/Sat is that we get thousands of messages, and dozens of new accounts created to submit them. I suspect there's a hole in the registration that allows automation to occur because of the scale.

Deleting messages automatically happens, but it's periodic, not constant to limit load on the site.

• Jeff Moden (11/21/2014)

Sean Lange (11/21/2014)

andrew gothard (11/21/2014)

Bar in my home town.

Can't see it being suitable for a gathering, somehow. Certainly if Jeff Moden's invited,

http://www.tavistockleisure.com/r-bar.htm%5B/quote%5D

LOL here is the mug from a bar near my house also called the R Bar. I posted a pic of the outside in here a couple years ago.

That's in Lawrence, KS, isn't it, Sean?

Yes it is Jeff. I posted a pic of the outside it on the thread a couple years ago. One and the same. In fact...heading there in about an hour for a couple of cold refreshments. 😀

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Lynn Pettis (11/22/2014)

Jeff Moden (11/22/2014)

David Burrows (11/21/2014)

Well Jeff would have to employ GBAG (Glass By Agonizing Glass) or get an Overflow Exception 😀

Heh... I've reached the "Overflow Exception" a couple of times in my life but, unlike GBAG, I enjoyed every glass to the max. The occasional sip of Drambuie made it all the better.

If you really want to make your tongue throw a party for your mouth, get a slice of really good Pecan pie (the really good ones aren't sickeningly sweet), put a squashed ball of homemade frozen custard on it, and dribble a shot of Drambuie over the whole lot. YUM! You end up with BBGB (Bite By Glorious Bite).

Don't even think of drinking beer for about an hour after that, though. Except for a straight shot of Alum, there's not much more bitter. Well, unless you drop a shot of Drambuie into the beer before you drink it.

Is Drambuie a Navy thing? I hear sailors (my brother included) always talking about Drambuie. Never had it myself (also, I was in the Air Force).

My dad used to drink that when I was growing up. He is ex-Army. I never could stand it myself.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (11/22/2014)

I'm not sure it's completely backwards. Hundreds of messages are being deleted.

The problem on Fri/Sat is that we get thousands of messages, and dozens of new accounts created to submit them. I suspect there's a hole in the registration that allows automation to occur because of the scale.

Deleting messages automatically happens, but it's periodic, not constant to limit load on the site.

So it deletes real messages from the "post added today" on the weekends? Heh... makes it a little tough to find those that are asking for help that we haven't already linked to with a post.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (11/22/2014)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (11/22/2014)

I'm not sure it's completely backwards. Hundreds of messages are being deleted.

So it deletes real messages from the "post added today" on the weekends? Heh... makes it a little tough to find those that are asking for help that we haven't already linked to with a post.

It's either that or the "posts added today" is using a TOP to limit the number of rows it returns. Right now, that list shows the first post today being at 3:30 PM, which is later than the first post today was early this morning.

Edit: Oh yeah, of the 3 pages of "posts added today" there was only one non-spam post.

My intent here in posting this stuff is not to pitch a fit, but rather provide something that could be useful in ascertaining a way of stopping it. If you can't see the problem, you can't solve the problem.

• Sean Lange (11/22/2014)

Lynn Pettis (11/22/2014)

Jeff Moden (11/22/2014)

Well Jeff would have to employ GBAG (Glass By Agonizing Glass) or get an Overflow Exception 😀

Heh... I've reached the "Overflow Exception" a couple of times in my life but, unlike GBAG, I enjoyed every glass to the max. The occasional sip of Drambuie made it all the better.

If you really want to make your tongue throw a party for your mouth, get a slice of really good Pecan pie (the really good ones aren't sickeningly sweet), put a squashed ball of homemade frozen custard on it, and dribble a shot of Drambuie over the whole lot. YUM! You end up with BBGB (Bite By Glorious Bite).

Don't even think of drinking beer for about an hour after that, though. Except for a straight shot of Alum, there's not much more bitter. Well, unless you drop a shot of Drambuie into the beer before you drink it.

Is Drambuie a Navy thing? I hear sailors (my brother included) always talking about Drambuie. Never had it myself (also, I was in the Air Force).

My dad used to drink that when I was growing up. He is ex-Army. I never could stand it myself.

I've never tried it myself. I haven't been a big drinker since I left Tech School in the Air Force. Not to say I haven't gotten drunk a couple of times.

• Jeff Moden (11/22/2014)

Greg Edwards-268690 (11/22/2014)

Jeff Moden (11/22/2014)

Try this pecan recipe sometime.

Might be just about the right supporting platform for your toppings.

BBGB - great way to describe food, but what's the Beer equivalent? 'Sip By' might be for those wishing to avoid the dreaded Overflow Exception.

Awesome! Just look at all that butter!!!! That page also has a movie/recipe for pecan pies and a link to a lunch time favorite, pecan tassies! Thanks, Greg!

Glad to have something to share.

It didn't take long for the first batch to evaporate around our house.

• Ed Wagner (11/22/2014)

Edit: Oh yeah, of the 3 pages of "posts added today" there was only one non-spam post.

I must be lucky, I can see twice as many non-spam posts as you: the 3 pages have 2 non-spam and 115 spam.

It looks very much as if posts added today means the last 117 posts added today. That strikes me as unfortunate, since it means spam can easily push non-spam off the bottom.

Tom

• Yep, hundreds of spam posts and I realize its frustrating. Believe me, since I end up managing them on the weekends, its annoying.

And VPN is down, so I can't even get into the database to delete them or set some routines up to clean them out quicker.

Your complaints here are a fraction of the ones I send on. Maybe I should get a few of you to send your notes to support at red-gate.com. :w00t:

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (11/23/2014)

Yep, hundreds of spam posts and I realize its frustrating. Believe me, since I end up managing them on the weekends, its annoying.

And VPN is down, so I can't even get into the database to delete them or set some routines up to clean them out quicker.

Your complaints here are a fraction of the ones I send on. Maybe I should get a few of you to send your notes to support at red-gate.com. :w00t:

Heh... buy me a ticket and I'll see if the like pork chops.

Do you have a preferred email address that you'd like us to use to send email to the support group.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• P.S. Remember a couple of years ago when I first bitched about the spam? I believe it was you that said "It's not a big enough problem to worry about". I believe my comment was something to the effect of "prepare for it because it's coming" or some such.

Like the little girl said on "ghost story", "THEY'RE HEEEERRREEE!!!!". 😛

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (11/20/2014)

Good luck to Koen (I voted for you), but please don't game the system with multiple votes from something like InPrivate Browsing.

It's just a crappy way to treat these things. If you want someone to win, then spread the word, and vote once a day.

Do you get a seperate IP address when you browse InPrivate?

That would seem odd.

ps: thanks for voting 🙂

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Koen Verbeeck (11/24/2014)

Do you get a seperate IP address when you browse InPrivate?

No.

Private ignores cookies set by regular browsing, so if they've used client-side cookies to record that you've voted then the private won't see those and will let you vote again.

Problem with using IP address is that it changes (for me any time I reboot my ADSL modem), plus if there's a NAT in the way (often is), multiple machines show up at the server as the same IP

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 15 posts - 46,426 through 46,440 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply