Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (11/4/2014)

We made a few forum changes today. If you notice something, let us know.

Recent Posts dropdown doesn't seem to want to work on IE9 through Websense (don't know what, if any, those might have to do with it but seemed like they might be relevant). Been the last few days, but I'm not sure exactly when it started, as my uptime on the site has been pretty hit or miss. Active Threads on the left works, just Recent Posts doesn't drop down and doesn't link itself anywhere.

Edit/Posting/etc still take a bit for me sometimes, but I have a feeling that has more to do with security on my end than slowness on yours, I've been dealing with that for years from here. Frickin' Websense...

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Just got an "interesting" email via SSC, Steve are you expanding the "service"?

😎

• Eirikur Eiriksson (11/8/2014)

Just got an "interesting" email via SSC, Steve are you expanding the "service"?

😎

I wouldn't trust that one as far as I could throw a bus. It just looks way too suspicious.

• Something must have happened with the spam filter. In the Recent Posts...Posts Added Today, there were 3 actual posts across the 4 pages. All other posts were spam, mostly about watching basketball.

• Ed Wagner (11/8/2014)

Something must have happened with the spam filter. In the Recent Posts...Posts Added Today, there were 3 actual posts across the 4 pages. All other posts were spam, mostly about watching basketball.

It is almost like it's been reversed, nothing but spam is coming through:pinch:

😎

• Steve, I have an idea. Set it up so that when I report a post as spam and I include a secret word in the report, have the system automatically take the action you good folks desire to blackball the spammer and delete all of their posts from the forums. You can audit it by not actually deleting the posts. Instead, just squirrel them away in a "SpammerDeleted" table along with my login so that you know it was me that did the deletes. I'll only put the whammy on things that are obvious spam.

Get a couple of the trusted heavy hitters to do the same thing and the weekend spammers won't stand a chance.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (11/9/2014)

Steve, I have an idea. Set it up so that when I report a post as spam and I include a secret word in the report, have the system automatically take the action you good folks desire to blackball the spammer and delete all of their posts from the forums. You can audit it by not actually deleting the posts. Instead, just squirrel them away in a "SpammerDeleted" table along with my login so that you know it was me that did the deletes. I'll only put the whammy on things that are obvious spam.

Get a couple of the trusted heavy hitters to do the same thing and the weekend spammers won't stand a chance.

I second Jeff's motion!

This weekend has been one of the worst, did the Spam Blocking Service trial licence expire?:crazy:

😎

• Eirikur Eiriksson (11/8/2014)

Just got an "interesting" email via SSC, Steve are you expanding the "service"?

😎

She's loaded too! Go for it, Eirikur!

By PM: "Assalamu alaykum

With due respect and humility I write you this letter which I believe you would be of great assistance to Me., I am Miss Aisha Kone the daughter of the late Mr., Mrs. Aisha Kone in of blessed memory. Prior to my father’s assassination by the rebel forces loyal to Corporal Foday kone h of the revolutionary United Front (RUF), he was the Director General National Gold and Diamond Mining Corporation of Sierra-Leone. Few days before my father was assassinated, he instructed me to move out of Sierra-Leone and also to go in his underground strong room where the documents of fund he has deposited in a Fiduciary Company in Abidjan here in one trunk box as family valuables and treasures with my name as the beneficiary which indicated much interest to me, I am very happy to have you by my side as my husband, carrying and honest partner in my life, I am Aishah Kone very charming, social sincere and honest, good and well oriented person from a royal good family back grant. I am religious Muslim person, I love my religion and happy on it, I am a Sierra-Leone based here I Ivory Coast for my security if life due to the assassinated of my late father, I am living alone here in Ivory coast looking for your passionate partner serious, carrying, honest and social. My reason of contacting you is for us to be together in one love and in harmony in full to secure out what my late father kept for me as next of kin, I want you to stand as my guadian as securing out this fund whetting the sum of US$8.5Million deposited in the Security Company here.

The Fund was managed by my late father, Director General National Gold and Diamond Mining Corporation of Sierra-Leone.

Kindly honey I want you as my husband and carrying partner. You can reply to my email.aishahkone@outlook.fr

Thanks

Miss Aishah Kone"

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Sadly I'm not getting the same sort of luck all I've had is the attached

-------------------------------Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden [/url]Smart way to ask a question
    There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan
    I would never join a club that would allow me as a member - Groucho Marx

• Hi guys,

Can you guys forward those to us (webmaster@sqlservercentral.com)? We're a little curious about our new services as well.

Thanks

Melanie

SQLServerCentral Team

• Stuart Davies (11/10/2014)

Sadly I'm not getting the same sort of luck all I've had is the attached

Some guys have all the luck.....:-D

😎

• Melanie.Townsend (11/10/2014)

Hi guys,

Can you guys forward those to us (webmaster@sqlservercentral.com)? We're a little curious about our new services as well.

Thanks

Melanie

SQLServerCentral Team

HI Melanie...I also received the same and have forwarded it as requested

• Apologies. A few things on the SPAM:

1. We had a hiccup in the spam process and it was disabled over the weekend. Hence many of you (and me) getting far too many SPAM items.

2. The SPAM process that looks to kill threads only that look like SPAM was running slower than usual as it was causing some perf issues. We will likely disable this for the time being as we need a better way to do things.

3. We have a process that allows us to ban a user, and delete all their forum posts.

4. The PM spam was of limited impact, but we are trying to determine what to do here. There are limited options with this forum, but I am hoping to implement something that prevents PMs for new users.

I am hesitant to allow auto removal of posts based on a keyword because too many of you are a little quick on the SPAM trigger. There are no shortage of items that are SPAM, advertising streaming or kitchen cabinets, but I see lots of reports from anything remotely off topic, or any mention of a product. Those may or may not be spam. I get regular reports when someone mentions a product in the same way I might mention a Red Gate product that is related to the thread in question, but no complaints from many of you on my posts.

It's a tricky business, and this weekend was (I hope) an aberration as a few IT changes were made in response to perf issues, but the switch to async checking was never turned on.

• One of the people whose name I've seen attached to the kitchen cabinets spam lives just down the road from me. He's a reasonably notorious local businessman who's actually been prosecuted for selling dodgy kitchens. Trading Standards shut him down every so often but he usually reappears with a different company within a couple of months.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    β€”Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• BWFC (11/11/2014)

One of the people whose name I've seen attached to the kitchen cabinets spam lives just down the road from me. He's a reasonably notorious local businessman who's actually been prosecuted for selling dodgy kitchens. Trading Standards shut him down every so often but he usually reappears with a different company within a couple of months.

I'm sure he's a reasonable chap then - can't you just pop round and ask him to stop? πŸ˜‰

-------------------------------Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden [/url]Smart way to ask a question
    There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan
    I would never join a club that would allow me as a member - Groucho Marx

Viewing 15 posts - 46,321 through 46,335 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply