Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Melanie.Townsend (9/23/2014)

I've just logged a request with the developers to see if they can have a look and see if we can get the points back. Fingers crossed.

Melanie

Thanks for the effort!

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Koen Verbeeck (9/23/2014)

Melanie.Townsend (9/23/2014)

I've just logged a request with the developers to see if they can have a look and see if we can get the points back. Fingers crossed.

Melanie

Thanks for the effort!

If they fix it then the "Top Posters" overview won't be nearly as funny as it is today. 😀

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• SQLRNNR (9/23/2014)

Jack Corbett (9/23/2014)

Not sure if it is related, and this post will likely fix it, but I haven't been getting email notifications from The Thread, since it was resurrected. I know some people turn that off, but I leave it on, because that's how I know it is time to catch up.

I am receiving notifications. But there are times when I haven't when there have been other issues. So it could be related.

Yeah, so did I. I don't think restoring the thread recreated all the topic subscriptions.

• Sean Lange (9/23/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (9/23/2014)

Melanie.Townsend (9/23/2014)

Melanie

Thanks for the effort!

If they fix it then the "Top Posters" overview won't be nearly as funny as it is today. 😀

I'm below you...

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Melanie.Townsend (9/23/2014)

Melanie

Thanks

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • any folks have any favorites other than w3schools.org or stackoverflow for getting newbies started on web design? This is someone who has zero experience, so I made the previous suggestions, putting together a nice email with tools later tonight. Thinking HTML, AJAX, CSS should keep him busy for a while. any suggestions appreciated!

Jon

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (9/23/2014)

any folks have any favorites other than w3schools.org or stackoverflow for getting newbies started on web design? This is someone who has zero experience, so I made the previous suggestions, putting together a nice email with tools later tonight. Thinking HTML, AJAX, CSS should keep him busy for a while. any suggestions appreciated!

Jon

First suggestion would be 4Guys from Rolla.com[/url]

😎

• Sean Lange (9/23/2014)

Greg Edwards-268690 (9/23/2014)

SQLRNNR (9/23/2014)

Sean Lange (9/23/2014)

djj (9/23/2014)

Anyone have suggestions of things to see in or near Branson, Missouri?

Taking a road trip down there in a bit.

Do they still have the Titanic exhibit?

Yes it is still there. The whole building looks like the Titanic. The cave inside Silver Dollar City is really cool but requires admission to the theme park.

That might be fun. At the least it would be an interesting family vacation.

Remember seeing the building last year. Have to see if the daughter is interested - I know she's seen some Titanic stuff in the past.

Saw 6 last year - they put on a great show.

Any good shore fishing spots on Table Rock?

I don't think they'd let me fish in the hatchery. 😀

That was neat to see - here it seems they are never open.

I would assume so. Fishing is a big deal around there. I am not much of a fisherman myself. All I ever seem to catch is a buzz. 😉 Now once the fish is caught I can do some fantastic things to it but I leave the catching to others.

Silver Dollar City is lots of fun with the kids. Not sure how old your daughter is but there is cool stuff for people of all ages. We have season passes. If you go more than 2 days it is cheaper to get the season pass. Branson is only about 4 hours away so we try to get down there about once or twice a year.

Where are you staying?

Spinnaker Resorts.

Neighbor is checking with a friend that was up visiting last month, might be a stop in KC area.

I remember last year - wife thought Branson was around KC.

Then I showed her the map, and how tall Missouri is.

One of the longest 6 hour trips she's made.

• Jack Corbett (9/23/2014)

Not sure if it is related, and this post will likely fix it, but I haven't been getting email notifications from The Thread, since it was resurrected. I know some people turn that off, but I leave it on, because that's how I know it is time to catch up.

I think all subscriptions to the thread were either restored as subscriptions without notification or lost; it's easy enough to change your subscription using topic options on any page of the thread or any other topic you want to change them on.

Tom

• Now that we are all caught up albeit with minus points!

Sounds as though I need to get a visit to the SQL Sat in Kansas City.

Next SQL Sat for me in Holland.

Is it too soon to start talking about my "Bucket List" for PASS?

Or people I want to meet in person, who I haven't managed to yet list!

Jack is on it again, because, well he's Jack! 🙂

Roy, who I think went last year but I didn't realise so didn't go looking for!

Any other takers from the Thread that I didn't manage to meet last year?

Yesterday myself a colleague made a last minute decision to go and see the comedian Alex Horne with his band the Horne section. We were the only two people in the front row... I knew we were in trouble. Lets just say I and Alex got to know each very well over the next two hours. There are videos. Which I'm up loading to my Onedrive.

Still gutted my side of the room lost in the game of human buckaroo!

Rodders...

• Greg Edwards-268690 (9/23/2014)

Sean Lange (9/23/2014)

SQLRNNR (9/23/2014)

Sean Lange (9/23/2014)

djj (9/23/2014)

Yes it is still there. The whole building looks like the Titanic. The cave inside Silver Dollar City is really cool but requires admission to the theme park.

Remember seeing the building last year. Have to see if the daughter is interested - I know she's seen some Titanic stuff in the past.

I would assume so. Fishing is a big deal around there. I am not much of a fisherman myself. All I ever seem to catch is a buzz. 😉 Now once the fish is caught I can do some fantastic things to it but I leave the catching to others.

Silver Dollar City is lots of fun with the kids. Not sure how old your daughter is but there is cool stuff for people of all ages. We have season passes. If you go more than 2 days it is cheaper to get the season pass. Branson is only about 4 hours away so we try to get down there about once or twice a year.

Where are you staying?

Spinnaker Resorts.

Neighbor is checking with a friend that was up visiting last month, might be a stop in KC area.

6 hours? Did she via Albuquerque? It is only about 3 1/2 hours from the strip in Branson to downtown Kansas City. If you are coming through the KC area look me up. We could meet up for a beer or something somewhere if you have time.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Eirikur Eiriksson (9/23/2014)

jcrawf02 (9/23/2014)

any folks have any favorites other than w3schools.org or stackoverflow for getting newbies started on web design? This is someone who has zero experience, so I made the previous suggestions, putting together a nice email with tools later tonight. Thinking HTML, AJAX, CSS should keep him busy for a while. any suggestions appreciated!

Jon

😎

I like 4 guys, though I think they got less organized as we moved from ASP.NET basics to MVC and later. I think you need some direction first, and then their articles are great.

Personally I'd say you should get a book and work through it. Whether it teaches you great things or not, it gets you focused, and you can use articles from places like 4Guys to supplement the items you're working through.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (9/24/2014)

Eirikur Eiriksson (9/23/2014)

jcrawf02 (9/23/2014)

Jon

😎

I like 4 guys, though I think they got less organized as we moved from ASP.NET basics to MVC and later. I think you need some direction first, and then their articles are great.

Personally I'd say you should get a book and work through it. Whether it teaches you great things or not, it gets you focused, and you can use articles from places like 4Guys to supplement the items you're working through.

Good point, thanks for that

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Sean Lange (9/24/2014)

Sean Lange (9/23/2014)

SQLRNNR (9/23/2014)

Sean Lange (9/23/2014)

djj (9/23/2014)

Where are you staying?

Spinnaker Resorts.

6 hours? Did she via Albuquerque? It is only about 3 1/2 hours from the strip in Branson to downtown Kansas City. If you are coming through the KC area look me up. We could meet up for a beer or something somewhere if you have time.

Was thinking more about the time from Des Moines, plus stops.

Probably not this trip, but thinking I may be back through yet this year on a trip to Texas.

So I will look you up when I go through.

Viewing 15 posts - 45,856 through 45,870 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply