Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Thx guys..

There was not SQL Saturday this year. We will have one during memorial day weekend next year.

Jack, hopefully we can meet each other this time around. 🙂

-Roy

• Anyone have a good answer to this question?

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Yes, I actually threw one of Mr. Celko's own arguments back at him in a post talking about dates.

I liked the COBOL reference since he likes to use it when berating a newbie.

• Roy Ernest (9/4/2014)

Thx guys..

There was not SQL Saturday this year. We will have one during memorial day weekend next year.

Also, since you are Grant Fritchey, I would love to ask you a question about query optimization.

Haha. The price of being a celebrity 😀

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Koen Verbeeck (9/4/2014)

Roy Ernest (9/4/2014)

Thx guys..

Also, since you are Grant Fritchey, I would love to ask you a question about query optimization.

Thank the gods I had an answer.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Grant Fritchey (9/4/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (9/4/2014)

Roy Ernest (9/4/2014)

Thx guys..

Well it WAS about optimization. You would be a pretty safe bet for somebody that could cough up an answer. 😉

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Lynn Pettis (9/4/2014)

Yes, I actually threw one of Mr. Celko's own arguments back at him in a post talking about dates.

😀 Throw harder next time...knock him out please!

• Sean Lange (9/4/2014)

Grant Fritchey (9/4/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (9/4/2014)

Roy Ernest (9/4/2014)

Thx guys..

Well it WAS about optimization. You would be a pretty safe bet for somebody that could cough up an answer. 😉

You never know. I get stumped all the time. That's why Gail's here.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• batgirl (9/4/2014)

Lynn Pettis (9/4/2014)

Yes, I actually threw one of Mr. Celko's own arguments back at him in a post talking about dates.

I'm not sure that would work. He reminds me of a paddle ball. The harder you hit, the faster he comes back.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares (9/4/2014)

batgirl (9/4/2014)

Lynn Pettis (9/4/2014)

I'm not sure that would work. He reminds me of a paddle ball. The harder you hit, the faster he comes back.

Swap the bat for a shotgun

😎

• Roy Ernest (9/4/2014)

So ANSI Joe is still at it? It has been a very long time since I have been to the forums.

Do we have any new ANSI Joe twin? I hope not.

Just thank whatever you believe in that we haven't got Fabian P joining in here - at time he makes Joe C look like sweetness and light (although at least he recognises that much of the ANSI standard is unrelational crap, just as much of T-SQL is; it's a pity he thinks that some of the bits that aren't crap are).

Tom

• Grant Fritchey (9/4/2014)

You never know. I get stumped all the time. That's why Gail's here.

Wha?

Well, at least I have a purpose in life...

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Love questions where you are asked if the query that was written against the AdventureWorks database will return what is wanted instead of just running it to see if it works.

• Lynn Pettis (9/5/2014)

Love questions where you are asked if the query that was written against the AdventureWorks database will return what is wanted instead of just running it to see if it works.

At least they didn't ask if it'll return what they really wanted and not what it's written to return. 😉

• jcrawf02 (9/4/2014)

Ed Wagner (9/4/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (9/4/2014)

andrew gothard (9/4/2014)

Gazareth (9/3/2014)

I've just been told: "We don't recommend running SQL commands against the database"

Right. May as well go home then!

You know Chris Date? Cool

Nah, Chris Date would say SQL Server (and other RMDBS) aren't relational anyway, so just might use SQL anyway... 😀

Two situations yesterday really caused me to think last night.

I don't understand why certain people have to go on such rants and rip people up one side and down the other when it comes to such simple things in SQL. Some poor guy posts a simple question and gets a couple of good responses, only to have Joe come on a completely shred the OP from top to bottom. I don't know if he does this for pleasure or if he's married to ANSI so hard that he can't seem to acknowledge anything else. I mean, seriously, we're working in SQL Server, so we should use the SQL Server language (T-SQL) to it's fullest advantage to eek as much performance out of it as possible. This business he spews forth with ANSI data types and lack of relational theory is argumentative and just plain silly. What's the real point? To make the OP feel small and stupid? Why? To what end? Maybe it makes him feel better about himself. But again, why?

While he's never dressed me down personally on any of my posts, I'm to the point where I don't even want to post anywhere he's posted anything. I'm absolutely sure I don't follow ANSI standards 100% of the time and am fine with that. I admit I'm tempted sometimes to bait him to going off on a rant where he spends 35 minutes typing a 4-page response to a 5-line solution, but I haven't succumbed to that temptation yet.

Then there's the opposite end of the spectrum where the "silver spoon user" doesn't want to try anything or even think for himself. Really, isn't coding about understanding process, iterative development and thinking things through logically? He must have missed that class, but how do you ever survive as a developer without being able to think logically and figure things out?

Okay, my own rant is over and I'm off my soap box.

He basically just said he does it to get a reaction, because if people yell back at him in an intelligent manner, they might have to go read the standard to do so, etc. Stupid reason. Someone reading something for the sole purpose of arguing with his attitude is not going to actually learn anything, they might even avoid it just because of that interaction. Plus, why would you purposely try to spew more bile into the universe? Be the change you wish to see, right?

I've encountered Joe on a couple of different forums and frankly I think he's telling a half-truth... he does it to get a reaction, yes, but I'm not convinced it has anything to do with any desire to help anyone... Far too many times, I've seen someone post a question and he tears into them about the column names they used, or the table names, or whatever; stuff having nothing whatsoever to do with what they're actually asking. And, on some occasions he actually leaves his "ANSI only" stance if necessary to contradict/insult whoever he's talking to.

So I really don't buy the whole "tough love" thing he claims (he's made the same claim on Google forums) because it doesn't fit what he's actually doing.

Viewing 15 posts - 45,496 through 45,510 (of 66,569 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply