Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Gazareth (9/3/2014)

I've just been told: "We don't recommend running SQL commands against the database"

Right. May as well go home then!

You know Chris Date? Cool

I'm a DBA.
    I'm not paid to solve problems. I'm paid to prevent them.

• andrew gothard (9/4/2014)

Gazareth (9/3/2014)

I've just been told: "We don't recommend running SQL commands against the database"

Nah, Chris Date would say SQL Server (and other RMDBS) aren't relational anyway, so just might use SQL anyway... 😀

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Ed Wagner (9/3/2014)

Luis Cazares (9/3/2014)

Eirikur Eiriksson (9/3/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (9/3/2014)

TomThomson (9/3/2014)

Luis Cazares (9/3/2014)

xsevensinzx (9/3/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (9/3/2014)

xsevensinzx (9/3/2014)

I keep coming to this thread just to read all your fueled responses. It's baiting me to post a seriously dumb question just to read the reactions in this thread. 😛

Like how to drop a database?

I'm going to apply this useful knowledge right now. I have a feeling I may be back with an update.

Don't forget to format the drive after you finish with those steps and set it on fire. That way, you'll be sure the data is really gone. :hehe:

But before you format the drive it's a good idea to run "sdelete -a -p 42 -s [drive letter]:\*" against the drive, just in case a good drive recovery program might find something after the cremation; and in fact it would be good also to run "sdelete -p 3 -z [drive letter]:" against it after formatting and before burning, just in case, and put the remains through a decent crusher after burning. :laugh:.

Although the randomised (42 times) then formatted then zeroised (3 times) then burnt then crushed drive should be very hard to read, some people would advocate putting the crushed ashes through a very strong varying magnetic field and then placing the result into a bath of aqua regis just in case. Personally I'm sure the final chemical attack on the data is just de trop :cool:.

That's all fine and dandy, but what about the NSA back-up?

No worries there, that's also with the ops team:w00t:

😎

I wonder if iCloud had ops team. They wouldn't be the victim of the last hacking scandal. 😀

After all the talk about how to properly destroy a drive, I can't believe nobody brought up the most important part. After the secure erasure of the data, you have to take the drive to the range and shoot it with a minimum of 3 different calibers of rifle. Then, and only then, can you take it to the shredder, then burn the shredded remains.

Or, skip the whole thing and give it to the net ops guys to take care of. That, by the way, actually made laugh out loud in my office. It's the funniest thing I've read this week. Perhaps I find it so funny because it's so very, very true.

The iCloud team obviously didn't get the memo about security.

Odd. It was in all the papers.

I'm a DBA.
    I'm not paid to solve problems. I'm paid to prevent them.

• Koen Verbeeck (9/4/2014)

andrew gothard (9/4/2014)

Gazareth (9/3/2014)

Nah, Chris Date would say SQL Server (and other RMDBS) aren't relational anyway, so just might use SQL anyway... 😀

Two situations yesterday really caused me to think last night.

I don't understand why certain people have to go on such rants and rip people up one side and down the other when it comes to such simple things in SQL. Some poor guy posts a simple question and gets a couple of good responses, only to have Joe come on a completely shred the OP from top to bottom. I don't know if he does this for pleasure or if he's married to ANSI so hard that he can't seem to acknowledge anything else. I mean, seriously, we're working in SQL Server, so we should use the SQL Server language (T-SQL) to it's fullest advantage to eek as much performance out of it as possible. This business he spews forth with ANSI data types and lack of relational theory is argumentative and just plain silly. What's the real point? To make the OP feel small and stupid? Why? To what end? Maybe it makes him feel better about himself. But again, why?

While he's never dressed me down personally on any of my posts, I'm to the point where I don't even want to post anywhere he's posted anything. I'm absolutely sure I don't follow ANSI standards 100% of the time and am fine with that. I admit I'm tempted sometimes to bait him to going off on a rant where he spends 35 minutes typing a 4-page response to a 5-line solution, but I haven't succumbed to that temptation yet.

Then there's the opposite end of the spectrum where the "silver spoon user" doesn't want to try anything or even think for himself. Really, isn't coding about understanding process, iterative development and thinking things through logically? He must have missed that class, but how do you ever survive as a developer without being able to think logically and figure things out?

Okay, my own rant is over and I'm off my soap box.

• Ed Wagner (9/4/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (9/4/2014)

Gazareth (9/3/2014)

I don't understand why certain people have to go on such rants and rip people up one side and down the other when it comes to such simple things in SQL. Some poor guy posts a simple question and gets a couple of good responses, only to have Joe come on a completely shred the OP from top to bottom. I don't know if he does this for pleasure or if he's married to ANSI so hard that he can't seem to acknowledge anything else. I mean, seriously, we're working in SQL Server, so we should use the SQL Server language (T-SQL) to it's fullest advantage to eek as much performance out of it as possible. This business he spews forth with ANSI data types and lack of relational theory is argumentative and just plain silly. What's the real point? To make the OP feel small and stupid? Why? To what end? Maybe it makes him feel better about himself. But again, why?

While he's never dressed me down personally on any of my posts, I'm to the point where I don't even want to post anywhere he's posted anything. I'm absolutely sure I don't follow ANSI standards 100% of the time and am fine with that. I admit I'm tempted sometimes to bait him to going off on a rant where he spends 35 minutes typing a 4-page response to a 5-line solution, but I haven't succumbed to that temptation yet.

Then there's the opposite end of the spectrum where the "silver spoon user" doesn't want to try anything or even think for himself. Really, isn't coding about understanding process, iterative development and thinking things through logically? He must have missed that class, but how do you ever survive as a developer without being able to think logically and figure things out?

If Joe gets too nasty I'll call him out for not doing anything to help. The best part is that he is so bad that his comments just hurt his stance because he presents it in such a nasty way.

• Ed Wagner (9/4/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (9/4/2014)

Gazareth (9/3/2014)

It is a bit frustrating to see someone who wants to learn get ripped with absolutely no help from the one posting the rant.

About all they learn is there is someone out there who has time to waste, and nothing to offer.

May as well be posting about the benefits of cooking with powdered water than their rant.

As for the silver spoon user, they will never get anywhere depending on someone else to do their work for them.

And will probably copy and paste something they don't understand into production at some point, which may result in an unexpected job search.

SQL is a learned language, not something you are born knowing.

Just like everything else you know.

You learn from your mistakes.

Or eventually get burned, just a matter of time.

• So ANSI Joe is still at it? It has been a very long time since I have been to the forums.

Do we have any new ANSI Joe twin? I hope not.

-Roy

• Roy Ernest (9/4/2014)

So ANSI Joe is still at it? It has been a very long time since I have been to the forums.

Evil Twin? 🙂

Hope you've had nice weather down there.

A drink on the beach is a welcome thought as fall approaches.

• Ed Wagner (9/4/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (9/4/2014)

Gazareth (9/3/2014)

He basically just said he does it to get a reaction, because if people yell back at him in an intelligent manner, they might have to go read the standard to do so, etc. Stupid reason. Someone reading something for the sole purpose of arguing with his attitude is not going to actually learn anything, they might even avoid it just because of that interaction. Plus, why would you purposely try to spew more bile into the universe? Be the change you wish to see, right?

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Greg Edwards-268690 (9/4/2014)

Roy Ernest (9/4/2014)

So ANSI Joe is still at it? It has been a very long time since I have been to the forums.

Evil Twin? 🙂

Its pretty warm here. Around 36C. I will be in the cold climate in November though. Seattle 🙂

-Roy

• Roy Ernest (9/4/2014)

Hey Roy, good to see you back.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (9/4/2014)

Roy Ernest (9/4/2014)

+1 and hope we can get together in Seattle as I'm planning to be there as well (everything but flight booked).

• SQLRNNR (9/4/2014)

Roy Ernest (9/4/2014)

+1.

Missed SQLSAT Curacao this year... plans for next year?

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Roy Ernest (9/4/2014)

Greg Edwards-268690 (9/4/2014)

Roy Ernest (9/4/2014)

Evil Twin? 🙂

Its pretty warm here. Around 36C. I will be in the cold climate in November though. Seattle 🙂

Seattle cold?

Check out this.

Some nice hiking out in Seattle - still can find some old growth forests.

Hope you have enough time to enjoy some of the sights.

• WayneS (9/4/2014)

SQLRNNR (9/4/2014)

Roy Ernest (9/4/2014)

+1.

Missed SQLSAT Curacao this year... plans for next year?

Still time to get it in 😉

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 45,481 through 45,495 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply