Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Eirikur Eiriksson (8/23/2014)

Lynn Pettis (8/23/2014)

Really??

Mail every minute and if it goes down then one can tell as the emails will stop:-D

😎

Slowly getting more details.

• I just posted a couple of solutions in the SQL 2008 thread. First in a long while unfortunately. I found I've missed it greatly.

But for some reason I'm now having a problem with the IFCode Shortcuts (and smileys). When I click on them, they don't put the shortcut into the response window.

If anybody else has ever had this problem and knows how to fix it, I'd be appreciative.

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

• dwain.c (8/24/2014)

I just posted a couple of solutions in the SQL 2008 thread. First in a long while unfortunately. I found I've missed it greatly.

But for some reason I'm now having a problem with the IFCode Shortcuts (and smileys). When I click on them, they don't put the shortcut into the response window.

If anybody else has ever had this problem and knows how to fix it, I'd be appreciative.

Click on the compatibility mode. I had to do that on IE10.

• Lynn Pettis (8/24/2014)

dwain.c (8/24/2014)

I just posted a couple of solutions in the SQL 2008 thread. First in a long while unfortunately. I found I've missed it greatly.

Click on the compatibility mode. I had to do that on IE10.

That works! Thanks Lynn! :hehe:

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/22/2014)

Finally, things are working. A debug item slipped through into production (apparently).

Let me know if things are still broken.

So far, so good. Thanks for the update and thanks for the folks trying to do fixes.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Lynn Pettis (8/22/2014)

And Mr. Celko is back with his baseball bat. :Whistling:

In more than one thread. :Whistling:

Heh... they should just add him to the spammer's list except, in his case, it should be set to automatic. 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Oh dear, the backup process for the production database is changing the recovery model of the development database. Help me.

Really?? When did the The Thread start taking over peoples SQL Server systems? I mean, I know it is sentient, but did it start becoming a prankster?

• Oh, and then we have the one backup routine for them all and all to one file. Oh, help me because this process has gone from running 1 hour to running 26 hours.

• Lynn Pettis (8/25/2014)

Oh, and then we have the one backup routine for them all and all to one file. Oh, help me because this process has gone from running 1 hour to running 26 hours.

I saw that thread earlier. The maintenance plan backups us all databases and funnels them into a single backup file. Sigh.

• Don't think this needs any explanation, too funny

• TomThomson (8/22/2014)

Haven't noticed him recently on SQLServerCentral, though :cool:.

Oh, he's been around a while. He stopped at one point. I'd hoped they'd shut his account off.

*sigh* What died recently and resurrected the creature from the pit? I'm too busy to start up another verbal Carpet Bombing against him everywhere he goes. Someone else's turn.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

Oh dear, the backup process for the production database is changing the recovery model of the development database. Help me.

I've seen that in production systems. Multiple times.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Evil Kraig F (8/25/2014)

TomThomson (8/22/2014)

Oh, he's been around a while. He stopped at one point. I'd hoped they'd shut his account off.

*sigh* What died recently and resurrected the creature from the pit? I'm too busy to start up another verbal Carpet Bombing against him everywhere he goes. Someone else's turn.

I apologize now for what I have done. I hope The Thread will forgive me.

Oh, and then we have the one backup routine for them all and all to one file. Oh, help me because this process has gone from running 1 hour to running 26 hours.

:hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe:

And to top it off all transaction log backups also go to the same file.

I have a vendor for a client that insists that it be done that way.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Evil Kraig F (8/25/2014)

TomThomson (8/22/2014)

I had a try today; he was advocating using a hash function to allocate unique tags, believe it or not, instead of dense_trank (which worked fine) as well as objecting to "record" and to duplicate rows. And doing it in a fairly unpleasant manner (albeit far from down to his frequent standard).

It was amusing to see the person he was biting join in and put him down - told him Lynn was helpful and he wasn't.

Tom

Viewing 15 posts - 45,316 through 45,330 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply