Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Eirikur Eiriksson (8/22/2014)

Lynn Pettis (8/22/2014)

And Mr. Celko is back with his baseball bat. :Whistling:

In more than one thread. :Whistling:

Nice to see that you are having a friendly chat with your best pal:w00t:

😎

Lynn, the ANSI standard your going to need is 7.62x39/.223/.50/.45/.44.

Lynn Pettis (8/22/2014)

😎

You do know that I don't have to tell you when (and if) I plan a vacation to Iceland. :w00t:;-)

Lynn Pettis (8/22/2014)

😎

I've been having some discussion with him in an SQL thread on linkedin - he tried to tell me that the sum of an empty set or list was undefined so that the SQL standard was right to declare that it must be null :w00t:. Maybe he's got too religiously committed to the standard, including the abysmal stupidities that got into there. 😉

Haven't noticed him recently on SQLServerCentral, though :cool:.

Tom

• Lynn Pettis (8/22/2014)

Eirikur Eiriksson (8/22/2014)

Lynn Pettis (8/22/2014)

😎

You do know that I don't have to tell you when (and if) I plan a vacation to Iceland. :w00t:;-)

Good to see that you are getting inspired [/url]by the friendly chat:-P

😎

Lynn Pettis (8/22/2014)

Eirikur Eiriksson (8/22/2014)

Lynn Pettis (8/22/2014)

😎

Good to see that you are getting inspired [/url]by the friendly chat:-P

😎

If not by the chat, then hopefully by the link.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• TomThomson (8/22/2014)

He dropped in recently to state that indexes were only needed in badly designed databases.... 🙁

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (8/22/2014)

TomThomson (8/22/2014)

He dropped in recently to state that indexes were only needed in badly designed databases.... 🙁

Are indexes not ANSI compliant?

😎

GilaMonster (8/22/2014)

TomThomson (8/22/2014)

Are indexes not ANSI compliant?

😎

<condescending_tone>Yeah, right. Okay.</condescending_tone>

• Glad to see the site back to its normal self. I thought the Thread had achieved sentience and had taken over...

Mythbusters. Woke up this morning to the news. Gutted. Loved the show and the 'B' team. As Jack said will be interesting to see what the new direction is.

Finally made it up to Scotland for the weekend. Not only was it Friday traffic, but Monday is a bank holiday and the Leeds / Reading festivals are on. Missed the reading traffic as I left early. Got very stuck in the Leeds traffic. Oh well.

Concert tomorrow night, yes I know you are all surprised at me going to a gig. 😛 Then the fringe festival on Sunday. Haven't bought any tickets just thought I'd see what was on! Oh and hopefully lunch with a SQL Sat Dubliner and her new baby.

Rodders...

• GilaMonster (8/22/2014)

TomThomson (8/22/2014)

Interesting. If he actually said that, I trust someone shot him down. That sort of nonsense is a very bad thing in forums where people come to learn. :angry:

But if you mean the post where he said "Indexing is too often the way a bad programmer kludges his way around his poor design" then I think he got that exactly right. If you haven't seen a lot of stuff where the system is crippled because it has far too manypointless indexes which have been added because database and query design was a horrible mess and someone was dim enough to think that throwing indexes at it would fix the problem and didn't remove them when it didn't fix it you've been a very lucky lady. But I seem to remember you saying pretty much the same thing about useless indexes yourself, so surely that can't be the post you were referring to?

Tom

• That was the post, I didn't remember exactly and couldn't be bothered looking.

I've said many times that indexes won't help poor *query* design and that indexes shouldn't be created where they're not needed. I have never said what he's saying and his implication (that well designed databases don't need indexes) is just completely wrong.

Yes, too many indexes can kill a system, but again, that's not what he's saying there. "Indexing is too often the way a bad programmer kludges his way around his poor design" implies that any indexes are unnecessary (which he implies with the rest of his post too, saying to the person that he doesn't need indexes), not that some dev's put too many in.

Indexes are essential to good query performance on any system poor design or good design.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Well, SPAM has over taken the Active Threads pages. Guess no one really needs much help this weekend.

• Lynn Pettis (8/23/2014)

Well, SPAM has over taken the Active Threads pages. Guess no one really needs much help this weekend.

They need help watching all of those live streaming feeds.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Really??

• Lynn Pettis (8/23/2014)

Really??

Mail every minute and if it goes down then one can tell as the emails will stop:-D

😎

Viewing 15 posts - 45,301 through 45,315 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply