Are the posted questions getting worse?

• We just (as in about 20 minutes ago) had another decent storm roll through. At least this one didn't last very long, but I'm hearing there are already some surface streets flooded. Everything is saturated now, so it doesn't take much. And they're forecasting more rain tonight. Well, it'll be an interesting drive home.

• More than a few reasons why the top of the hills were considered the best real estate way back when. I'm glad to hear everyone so far caught in that mess is doing well. Any of the threadizens from that area that haven't been heard from yet? I'm afraid I don't keep track of who's from where (except for maybe their thought processes, but that's beause I'm from the Land of Confusions there...).

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Evil Kraig F (8/12/2014)

More than a few reasons why the top of the hills were considered the best real estate way back when. I'm glad to hear everyone so far caught in that mess is doing well. Any of the threadizens from that area that haven't been heard from yet? I'm afraid I don't keep track of who's from where (except for maybe their thought processes, but that's beause I'm from the Land of Confusions there...).

IIRC, Jeff Moden is from that area, too.

Since I used to work (or to re-phrase it, had repeating 6-week "service tasks") in Northern Michigan, it's a special/weird feeling I have right now.

I've been to Warren several times...

I hope everybody is doing as well as the situation allows and the damages are minor or at least reapairable!!

I'm wishing all the best to the folks up there!!

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• I'd love some rain. It's getting towards the end of winter here and it is soooo dry.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/12/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (8/11/2014)

GilaMonster (8/11/2014)

LutzM (8/10/2014)

b) block that spammer (mominbd) and all its variations using a filter

Maybe a throttle on posting new threads. A human can't post multiple threads in a very short time, the bots can (this mornings were around a minute apart)

1 minute between 1st and 2nd threads, 2 minutes between 2nd and 3rd, etc. Like with increasing delays for failed logins (which is recommended a security idea), it's unlikely to bother real users (other than the ones cross posting their stuff everywhere).

+1 seems effective.

I have sent some of these ideas to our developers. Fingers are crossed they'll do something.

Quick thought, how about a similar thing as sudo in linux, the credentials are asserted and then it keeps alive while there is a certain frequency in activity, once beyond the pre-set interval, one has to re-authenticate. Could work with captia/points/history. Normally the "trusted regulars" don't spawn many threads, nubees might cross-post but nothing serious so it seems to be quite straight forward.

😎

• Howz about we just track the buggers down and take them out for a nice pork chop dinner, Moden style? 😛 It might also decrease the surface area of the shallow end of the gene pool. :w00t:

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (8/12/2014)

Howz about we just track the buggers down and take them out for a nice pork chop dinner, Moden style? 😛 It might also decrease the surface area of the shallow end of the gene pool. :w00t:

Sounds like the perfect Menu for the occasion;-)

😎

• Ed and Jason,

Some serious rain there. Glad to hear you are all OK.

Rodders...

• rodjkidd (8/13/2014)

Ed and Jason,

Rodders...

Thanks for all the well wishes, everyone. Things are starting to dry out around here; there's only one freeway that's still closed due to about 13 feet of water. :w00t: I heard that Long Island, NY is being hit by the same system today.

• Ed Wagner (8/13/2014)

rodjkidd (8/13/2014)

Ed and Jason,

Rodders...

Thanks for all the well wishes, everyone. Things are starting to dry out around here; there's only one freeway that's still closed due to about 13 feet of water. :w00t: I heard that Long Island, NY is being hit by the same system today.

Good news!

Now if you could just collect some of that water in buckets and send them to Gail... :w00t:

Rodders...

• rodjkidd (8/13/2014)

Ed Wagner (8/13/2014)

rodjkidd (8/13/2014)

Ed and Jason,

Rodders...

Good news!

Now if you could just collect some of that water in buckets and send them to Gail... :w00t:

Rodders...

Too heavy to ship. You should dehydrate it before you FedEx it, then she can rehydrate it on her end.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• And the profound post of the day award goes to:

In such critical situation you must go with reliable and effortless recover tool.

That's the entire post.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (8/13/2014)

And the profound post of the day award goes to:

In such critical situation you must go with reliable and effortless recover tool.

That's the entire post.

In such critical situation you must go with reliable and effortless __________ tool.

Keeping that as a skeleton for my future posts!

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Does such a thing even exist? Reliable, maybe, effortless is a bit of a stretch, though. 🙂

• Lynn Pettis (8/7/2014)

Sean Lange (8/7/2014)

Well off for vacation for a few days to Colorado Springs. Will be nice to be in cooler air for a few days. See you all next week at some point.

Just great, you come to my home town while I am away working in Afghanistan. 😀

Have fun and enjoy! Maybe next time I'll actually be there.

I know!!! Was thinking about that on the long drive out there. We had a good time. Celebrated my Mom and step dad's 30th anniversary. Weather was excellent almost the entire time. We had the typical rain storm most afternoons but they didn't last long. The one day it rained we took the cog rail to Pike's Peak. The ride up was spectacular but once we got to the summit a cloud engulfed us entirely. We couldn't even see the train from inside the gift shop. I was there about 30 years ago in high school and it was a beautiful clear day that time. Too bad, I was hoping the boys would have nice weather from up there.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

Viewing 15 posts - 45,181 through 45,195 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply