Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Ed Wagner (7/29/2014)

Eirikur Eiriksson (7/29/2014)

Ed Wagner (7/29/2014)

Greg Edwards-268690 (7/29/2014)

Winter and Road Construction.

In Minnesota, there is a pothole season too.

Plenty of time here too, although I'd venture to say someone taking in the whole Thread might take a bit more time than just the posts here.

It is easy to get sidetracked into other threads which spawned some of these cooler comments.

Or into calculating the velocity of the famed European Swallow, or terminal velocity of some of Jeff's weapons cache.

I can see a day when PASS has a Thread Jeopardy Contest.

Quote and who said it first, or fill in the missing word.

Yeah, we have the same season in Michigan. As for the European Swallow, you know it's a question of weight ratios when you consider the weight of a coconut. Jeff's pork chops are highly variant, depending on model. Finally, this is what some of us consider a water cooler, no matter that's being served. πŸ˜›

A classic Fluid dynamics problem, can you post a proper DDL? Simple things like Coconut Spin Rate, Spin direction to Trajectory Angle, Pork Chop Glazing, Pork Chop Exit Angle (not the ones landing on the moon though). We need some more information to be able to help you out here................\o/...........

😎

The coconut would be spinning when carried by a swallow, no matter if it's African or European. I don't know if the swallow would be flying near the equator or not.

Since pork chops are typically glazed in the last few minutes of cooking to prevent burning the glaze itself, the pork chops wouldn't have any glaze because they're raw when launched by one of Jeff's high-velocity launchers. Being frozen is a completely different story, so we'll need to calculate for both scenarios. The angle depends on the specific model of launcher used and whether or not it's tethered to the user's belt.

My DBCC Timewarp has malfunctioned and Koen cracked the crystal ball (after getting it from Lynn, who got it from Grant), so you'll have to take your best guess at the DDL.

Quick question, As a centrally condensed coconut rotates, the pressure gradient in the gas emitted by the carrier swallow causes it to rotate more slowly than the free orbital velocity, and drag forces cause the orbits of solid bodies to decay. Would that be a performance problem?

😎

BTW: An workaround would be inducing high enough spin rate, see the illustration

Edit: Spelled it out πŸ˜›

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (7/28/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (7/28/2014)

This guy can explain it better than I can:

Why I no longer contribute to StackOverflow

Very interesting.

I hope we've avoided some of that, though I'd like to incorporate some of what SO does. I'd like to better score answers and points, though I think I'd limit the value of upvotes/downvotes, especially over time.

Been reading through Michael's lengthy post and comments, only to find yours Steve. I think his main problem is that SO is focused on *only* providing fish, where SSC provides the fish (Ask.SSC.com), the learning to fish (forum help - thanks to you guys, and assuming you avoid those people that learned how to clean fish with a mallet (have the picture saved for every project meeting ever, btw)), case studies (articles) plus bonus pointage from daily questions.

Plus, there's checks and balances in that you're all active in yelling each other down and avoiding too much of a pile-on most of the time.

Can't be all things to all people, but you're giving it a pretty damn good try

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• But country music is no longer country music. It is now classic rock.

PLAY FREEBIRRRRRRRRD !!!

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• RE: Classic Rock and Three chords.

I think Cheech and Chong said it best

I'm so bloody rich

I own apartment buildings and shopping centers.

And I only know *three* chords!!!

--Earache My Eye

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Hi Everyone!

Wow, it has been 6 months or so since I last was on this thread. I haven't even been lurking, just too busy to keep up. And no, I'm not going to read the last 5000 posts.

Everyone OK? No fatalities in Afghanistan, victims of Martial Arts or Frozen Pork Chops?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• The Dixie Flatline (7/28/2014)

Now THIS is a Terminator...

Ok... I'm going to have to check the house for hidden cameras. That's a picture of me doing a code review before coffee. πŸ˜€

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jan Van der Eecken (7/29/2014)

Hi Everyone!

Wow, it has been 6 months or so since I last was on this thread. I haven't even been lurking, just too busy to keep up. And no, I'm not going to read the last 5000 posts.

Everyone OK? No fatalities in Afghanistan, victims of Martial Arts or Frozen Pork Chops?

2 out of 3 on topic for the day.

Along with some technical discussion around velocity of swallows carrying coconuts and pork chops.

And Aerosmith is now country, or is that Kenney Chesney is now classic rock?

The Thread is still alive and well.

• Greg Edwards-268690 (7/29/2014)[And Aerosmith is now country, or is that Kenney Chesney is now classic rock?

Aerosmith country? Wow, I must have fallen into hibernation, or American Idol has eventually adopted some decent musicians. πŸ˜€

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Jan Van der Eecken (7/29/2014)

Hi Everyone!

Had a nice view of C-RAM and Rockets yesterday. We all survived.

• Greg Edwards-268690 (7/29/2014)

Winter and Road Construction.

In Minnesota, there is a pothole season too.

Plenty of time here too, although I'd venture to say someone taking in the whole Thread might take a bit more time than just the posts here.

It is easy to get sidetracked into other threads which spawned some of these cooler comments.

Or into calculating the velocity of the famed European Swallow, or terminal velocity of some of Jeff's weapons cache.

I can see a day when PASS has a Thread Jeopardy Contest.

Quote and who said it first, or fill in the missing word.

In Bangkok we have 3 seasons: hot, rainy and cool, the last of which is grossly misnamed.

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

• The Dixie Flatline (7/29/2014)

Country music is grounded in three chords and the truth.

But which music is grounded in three discords and a white lie?

Tom

• Jeff Moden (7/29/2014)

The Dixie Flatline (7/28/2014)

Ok... I'm going to have to check the house for hidden cameras. That's a picture of me doing a code review before coffee. πŸ˜€

Jeff, I'm disappointed, I thought you would be a bit fiercer than that. πŸ˜›

Tom

• Ed Wagner (7/29/2014)

My DBCC Timewarp has malfunctioned and Koen cracked the crystal ball (after getting it from Lynn, who got it from Grant), so you'll have to take your best guess at the DDL.

You should just make the cracked crystal ball work; it's easy enough, I know from experience that when cracked it's OK provide the person working it is cracked too. But the important thing is to repair DBCC timearp and retrieve the crystal ball before it was cracked, so that less fortunate threadizens can use it as well as the cracked 98%.

edit: Dalmations! a W fell through the crack.

Tom

• TomThomson (7/29/2014)

The Dixie Flatline (7/29/2014)

Country music is grounded in three chords and the truth.

But which music is grounded in three discords and a white lie?

Easy, bagpipes.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• TomThomson (7/29/2014)

Jeff Moden (7/29/2014)

The Dixie Flatline (7/28/2014)

Jeff, I'm disappointed, I thought you would be a bit fiercer than that. πŸ˜›

Yeah, I really pictured you more as the Yul Brenner character from Westworld.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

Viewing 15 posts - 44,911 through 44,925 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply