Are the posted questions getting worse?

• rodjkidd (10/18/2013)

As Jack said I finally tracked him down...

Felt a bit like the Colin Hay (ex Men at Work) song "Looking For Jack" !!

Great guy, it was a pleasure to meet you Jack. Next time warn everyone if you have shaved the beard or grown it back! πŸ™‚

Also as a bonus on the Bucket List, met Jim Murphy on the way to the NASCAR hall of fame. So that was cool. Nice guy as well! E aren't we all on this thread?

Gail - See Denny, I did not.

Last day, it's gone so quickly...

Rodders...

Saw you reference Men at Work and thought the song you were going for was "It's a Mistake" and I thought "Well that's just mean"

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Stefan Krzywicki (10/18/2013)

rodjkidd (10/18/2013)

Great guy, it was a pleasure to meet you Jack. Next time warn everyone if you have shaved the beard or grown it back! πŸ™‚

Also as a bonus on the Bucket List, met Jim Murphy on the way to the NASCAR hall of fame. So that was cool. Nice guy as well! E aren't we all on this thread?

Rodders...

Saw you reference Men at Work and thought the song you were going for was "It's a Mistake" and I thought "Well that's just mean"

Yes that would be mean! And gives the rest of us some insight into how you brain works! πŸ˜€

Rodders...

• Koen, you are awesome. πŸ™‚

Koen Verbeeck (10/18/2013)

hoseam (10/18/2013)

I don't have a backup

Sorry to hear that.

Let this be an incentive to implement a backup plan.

:hehe:

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • rodjkidd (10/18/2013)

Stefan Krzywicki (10/18/2013)

rodjkidd (10/18/2013)

Rodders...

Yes that would be mean! And gives the rest of us some insight into how you brain works! πŸ˜€

Rodders...

A big part of how my brain works is finding song links for just about anything and if it doesn't find one, it starts making a song up.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Gads it takes a long time for an Oracle patch to apply...

I probably could've just installed a new, updated instance by now...

• jasona.work (10/18/2013)

Gads it takes a long time for an Oracle patch to apply...

Maybe that's a test to run. Can you do the equivalent of detach, uninstall, reinstall, attach?

• jasona.work (10/18/2013)

Oracle patches have always taken a very, very long time to run. The Oracle installer certainly doesn't make the process any better. I remember them taking hours sometimes when you have large databases. Unfortunately, you have to move from disbelief and thinking you're doing something wrong into acceptance.

• Ed Wagner (10/18/2013)

jasona.work (10/18/2013)

Oracle patches have always taken a very, very long time to run. The Oracle installer certainly doesn't make the process any better. I remember them taking hours sometimes when you have large databases. Unfortunately, you have to move from disbelief and thinking you're doing something wrong into acceptance.

Yeah, I know, just wanted to complain...

It's actually the second time I've had to load the Oracle Quarterlies, which should give you an idea how long we've been without an Oracle DBA if *I'm* getting pressed into service as one! πŸ˜‰

Now if only I got the Oracle DBA pay on top of the MS SQL DBA pay, I might complain less...

:w00t:

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (10/18/2013)

jasona.work (10/18/2013)

Maybe that's a test to run. Can you do the equivalent of detach, uninstall, reinstall, attach?

Sure, if I could figure out how to do that in Oracle!

πŸ˜‰

Thankfully, the patch process completed, which means I get to leave on time (1:00pm! Yay!) so I can join the wife and a friend for lunch (Yay!) before tomorrow night installing the current round of MS OS updates on my production servers (boo!)

• Greg Edwards-268690 (10/18/2013)

jasona.work (10/18/2013)

You know, people may complain about the hassles of installing SPs and CUs and updating the OS of their SQL servers, but that's nothing compared to doing Oracle Quarterly patches...

Having to rename DLLs that the Oracle service doesn't let go of, even when you've stopped the DB, having to actually STOP the various Oracle services, because the patch utility is a batch file making sure you're in the right directory, having to remember to run your CMD Prompt as Administrator...

I realize a dedicated, determined Oracle admin could probably put together a Powershell or Python script to do all of this automatically, but give me an EXE / MSI / MSU to double-click and click Next a few times any day...

Written while backing up an Oracle system before applying the current quarterly patches to a QA environment...

Just curious, maybe a business could be started.

How much do you think you would pay for such an exe? πŸ˜€

Actually I worked for a company a few years back that was developing a tool for this. I think they called it RapidPatch or something like that. Google on that or Rapid Solutions and you may find them (in Thailand). Not sure how far they've gotten with it or whether it is intended for the db or for Oracle EBS though.

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

• rodjkidd (10/18/2013)

All you had to do was look for a little hobbit running around under your legs. In all seriousness, Jack is awesome.

rodjkidd (10/18/2013)

Hey thanks man. You are quite cool yourself. Got me in a t-shirt pose for your wall of shame where you post other suckers willing to wear the shirt. You'll have to post a pic.

After walking up to Rod and company, they said "hey, I know you." I literally responded with "I doubt that." Hahahaha. What are the odds with so many people there since I just blindly walked up after seeing his First Timer flag so I tried to make this wandering stranger feel welcome? I just didn't recognize y'all.

"Do you post on The Thread?" Me: "I used too!"

Jim Murphy
    http://www.sqlwatchmen.com
    @SQLMurph

• GilaMonster (10/18/2013)

Koen, you are awesome. πŸ™‚

hoseam (10/18/2013)

I don't have a backup

Sorry to hear that.

I know I know πŸ™‚

But when do most people adapt some best practices?

After they messed up (one time too many).

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Koen Verbeeck (10/20/2013)

GilaMonster (10/18/2013)

hoseam (10/18/2013)

I don't have a backup

Sorry to hear that.

I know I know πŸ™‚

... hopefully still keeping their job.

• Revenant (10/20/2013)

Koen Verbeeck (10/20/2013)

GilaMonster (10/18/2013)

hoseam (10/18/2013)

I don't have a backup

Sorry to hear that.

I know I know πŸ™‚

... hopefully still keeping their job.

Or hopefully not keeping it, depending on what "one time too many" means.

I don't have a problem with people screwing up. I do have a problem with people repeating the same screw-up multiple times, unless the screw-up is so trivial that it can do no harm, even when repeated continually (in which case, it isn't really a screw-up, is it?).

Tom

• Thanks, Koen, and thanks for the tip on the photo. I've finally caught up on the thread after PASS Summit and got a chance to change my Twitter photo.

Jason Wolfkill

Viewing 15 posts - 41,836 through 41,850 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply