Are the posted questions getting worse?

• I've got an HP G71, and bought one of thosse SSD/HD replacement Caddy to replace the DVD in the Side Bay with an SSD caddy.

it was really easy to do myself, and i bought a huge Samsung 500 gig SSD.

I also replaced my original HD with another of the same SSD, so my laptop is substantially faster, and between the two drives a terabyte of total drive space.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Brandie Tarvin (5/31/2013)

SQLRNNR (5/31/2013)

Brandie Tarvin (5/30/2013)

WayneS (5/29/2013)

Personally, my new laptop is 32gb ram, with multiple SSD drives (I have plans for presentations with many VMs running...). I'm still getting stuff installed on it, so I hope to start using it soon.

What kind of laptop did you get that allows for multiple SSDs? I'd love to have something like that.

My HP allows multiple SSDs

What model?

Pavilion dv-7.

I can put in a third if I remove the dvd drive

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• GilaMonster (5/30/2013)

And for those wondering about the 137, google - Fine Structure Constant and enjoy a lesson in quantum field theory.

What a number! Thanks for that.

"If it were a mere 4% bigger or smaller than it is, stars would not be able to sustain the nuclear reactions that synthesise carbon and oxygen. One consequence would be that squishy, carbon-based life would not exist."

And that would be sad.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. - Stephen Hawking

• Have I mentioned these 2 things lately:

1. I can't stand ORM tools and the queries they create

2. I can't stand when developers create databases without a data professional involved.

Thanks,

• mtillman-921105 (5/31/2013)

GilaMonster (5/30/2013)

And for those wondering about the 137, google - Fine Structure Constant and enjoy a lesson in quantum field theory.

"If it were a mere 4% bigger or smaller than it is, stars would not be able to sustain the nuclear reactions that synthesise carbon and oxygen. One consequence would be that squishy, carbon-based life would not exist."

And that would be sad.

Well, there wouldn't be anything that could be sad, so maybe it wouldn't.

According to one main multiple universe theory, those universes do exists, as do just about any other you can think of. Universes more like ours are separated by structures called "branes", sharing the same mega-universe or "space", but the more exotic ones are in different sorts of space entirely.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Jack Corbett (5/31/2013)

Have I mentioned these 2 things lately:

Thanks,

I think you better say it again.

Learn Extended Events

• Stefan Krzywicki (5/31/2013)

mtillman-921105 (5/31/2013)

GilaMonster (5/30/2013)

And that would be sad.

Well, there wouldn't be anything that could be sad, so maybe it wouldn't.

According to one main multiple universe theory, those universes do exists, as do just about any other you can think of. Universes more like ours are separated by structures called "branes", sharing the same mega-universe or "space", but the more exotic ones are in different sorts of space entirely.

I meant that our existence would be impossible, so that would be sad. Of course we wouldn't be here to be sad for it, but we are here now, to think of the possibility of our non-existence. So thinking of our non-existence is sad. :hehe:

As for multi-verses, quantum theory does make those a little more plausible because it does explain some odd results in some experiments. In general, it's fun to think about, but who knows? It's all very sketchy at this point. I think it's like we've discovered a pebble, and are trying to determine what our whole solar system is like, based upon one little rock.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. - Stephen Hawking

2. I can't stand when developers create databases without a data professional involved.

Thanks,

There I said it again.

Jack Corbett (5/31/2013)

Thanks,

There I said it again.

j

+infinity

I feel your pain.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey (5/31/2013)

Jack Corbett (5/31/2013)

Jack Corbett (5/31/2013)

Thanks,

There I said it again.

j

+infinity

I feel your pain.

Ooooohhhh, don't get me started...

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (5/31/2013)

Grant Fritchey (5/31/2013)

Jack Corbett (5/31/2013)

Jack Corbett (5/31/2013)

Thanks,

There I said it again.

j

+infinity

I feel your pain.

Ooooohhhh, don't get me started...

I love the time and money that using an ORM brings to the table. They are one of the greatest tools in a developers toolbox.

Learn Extended Events

• The Dixie Flatline (5/30/2013)

GilaMonster (5/30/2013)

I just delete that kind of thing outright, long with the 'Answer my posted question', 'explain life, the universe and everything to me' and other such PMs.

annnnnd... back to 42

Tom

• Here's part of the reason why I hate ORM tools and developers designing databases.

I'm trying to do some tuning, via indexing and I'm fighting with why a query that has an index that covers all 3 criteria is scanning and not seeking. Then I see why in the execution plan, Convert_Implicit(DB.schema.table.columnA) because columnA is defined a NVARCHAR(50) because it could be an int, a GUID, whatever, and the ORM tool is passing in parameter INT because the value being passed is 1234.

I should also mention that this column is the most selective of the 3 columns in the where clause by large factor. The 2 other columns are a Type, that currently has 5 distinct values, and bit column. So once we get a good amount of data in that table I'm pretty sure any index that doesn't have columnA as the leading column will require a scan, and, if the app were better, an index with it as the leading column will be able to seek.

Oh and another developer used DTA to recommend indexes and of course it always adds the bit column as the leading column of any index.

So once we get a good amount of data in that table I'm pretty sure any index that doesn't have columnA as the leading column will require a scan

No.

An unselective leading column does not mean a scan (and I've often created indexes with a bit as the leading column). It's not going to be the most efficient seek, but unless there's no sargable predicate on the leading column, you will get a seek.

If the entire of the index is unselective and is not covering, then SQL will likely switch to a scan of the clustered index (unless there are other covering indexes)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I guess I'm paranoid about any leading index column that has very low selectivity. As most folks know, while they can really help with SELECTs, they're absolutely horrible for INSERTs unless you have a fairly low FILLFACTOR because of the extent splits that occur behind the scenes during INSERTs. Such indexes can cause massive, immediate timeouts. The reason I'm paranoid is because I saw it happen when such an index was released to the "yellow-ad" databases for Expedia.com where virtually every INSERT from the application timed out.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 15 posts - 40,021 through 40,035 (of 66,571 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply