Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Brandie Tarvin (3/26/2012)

How would you all like to design the system (and database) around this one: http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/26/opinion/frum-identity-cards/index.html?hpt=hp_bn7

Look I am old with grey hair but so far no ulcer's no uncontrolable twitches .. and I intended to stay that way.... so leaving the job to others

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• Evil Kraig F (3/26/2012)

Brandie Tarvin (3/26/2012)

How would you all like to design the system (and database) around this one: http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/26/opinion/frum-identity-cards/index.html?hpt=hp_bn7

Sold. Can we start the tech spec tomorrow?

I think it would be fun to make an SSC "play project" surrounding this. Anyone game?

If so, I'll start a topic tomorrow a.m. and we can start debating tech specs and business rules so we can get an idea of what would be required for our Universal ID database.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Whew. Caught up on the last 6 weeks of The Thread. Interesting stuff going on.

It's been busy at work, hope I don't end up doing this again anytime soon.

Brandie, I like that idea. (It's only been six weeks... which one you ask???) Go ahead and start that thread, it sounds like something... fun. Yeah, that's the word for it... fun!

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (3/26/2012)

Whew. Caught up on the last 6 weeks of The Thread. Interesting stuff going on.

It's been busy at work, hope I don't end up doing this again anytime soon.

Brandie, I like that idea. (It's only been six weeks... which one you ask???) Go ahead and start that thread, it sounds like something... fun. Yeah, that's the word for it... fun!

So, how long did it take you to get caught up on The Thread?

• Sorry to hijack, but some poor old chap is struggling:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1272592-2799-1.aspx#bm1272921

😉

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• Henrico Bekker (3/26/2012)

Sorry to hijack, but some poor old chap is struggling:

😉

You can't hijack this thread. Coming to the water cooler and saying that some help would be appreciated over here is fine.

• Lynn Pettis (3/26/2012)

Henrico Bekker (3/26/2012)

Sorry to hijack, but some poor old chap is struggling:

😉

You can't hijack this thread. Coming to the water cooler and saying that some help would be appreciated over here is fine.

Ok, "hijack" was maybe a strong word...here in South Africa, it's a daily used term, so forgive me 🙂

Help needed please?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• Okay, folks. For those who are interested in our play project, the Universal ID Project thread can be found here:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1273368-61-1.aspx?Update=1

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Greg Edwards-268690 (3/26/2012)

GSquared (3/26/2012)

Jeff Moden (3/25/2012)

GSquared (3/23/2012)

Reminds me indirectly of one of my three bosses at a job a couple of years ago. He ended up compulsively disagreeing with me. A couple of times, just to test it, I would wait for him to assert something, then I'd wait a minute or two later in the conversation, and would then repeat back his assertion word-for-word. He would immediately disagree with it. Was amusing in its own way.

I wasn't the only one who noticed that he'd disagree with me about everything. So a co-worker got into the habit of taking anything useful I'd said, which that boss had disagreed with, and parroting it back. The boss would immediately agree and we'd go ahead with whatever plan I had already been told not to do.

And, yes, I'm willing to be that kind of manipulative if it's needed.

Gosh... I've been there and had that happen to me, as well. The only difference is that I won't and don't tolerate it and will take any and all corrective actions necessary because having a boss like that affects the whole team. Sometimes they don't realize they're doing it and the corrective action is simply to make them aware. Sometimes it's malicious and other, sometimes much more severe, actions are required.

Wasn't really an option in this case.

Remarkably, despite this, it was commented on repeatedly by other co-workers that I got along with that guy (the boss mentioned) better than just about anyone in the history of the company.

His background was long-term military (Army special forces Seargeant) and academia (PhD in Comp Sci), and thus a little rough to get along with and addicted to a level of beaurocracy that drove most people to distraction. But at the same time, wrote brilliant software. His doctoral thesis was on the subject of creating UIs that people would like to use, and he was very, very good at that. Took FOREVER to get any project up to the point of actually writing any code. Pages and pages and pages of planning, case-studies, and documentation before the first line of code would be written. But once he got started on coding, it would be secure, performant, scalable, and would do exactly what the end-users actually needed, even if that violated what they had asked for.

Just really, really tough to get along with, and absolutely certain his every opinion was gospel and that anything that disagreed with his personal experiences in any slightest detail was unquestionably either wrong or just plain false.

And even he knew he was hard to get along with. Made jokes about it at times.

So, no real fix for it, but my workarounds got the job done. And other managers were impressed that I did as well as I did with him.

That would make it both interesting and a challenge to work for him. Here's an interesting thought, considering that you had some respect for what he could do in the trenches. Maybe the 'game' was being played by more players everyone thought.

I don't doubt it for a second.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Kiara (3/26/2012)

Happy Monday, folks!

Just coming up for air after a couple of weeks of crazy. Figured I'd catch up on The Thread and say "Hi".

Hi.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Is it just me, or does a term like 'That can be done, but people usually learn better' rankle when applied to something you've said?

Feels a little condescending.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Brandie Tarvin (3/26/2012)

Kiara (3/26/2012)

Happy Monday, folks!

Just coming up for air after a couple of weeks of crazy. Figured I'd catch up on The Thread and say "Hi".

Hi, back. Welcome to this week's episode of "Politics as Usual." @=)

I noticed! As well as the usual round of questions where the OP didn't bother to even try first and then doesn't like the answers, a fascinating discussion of which order in which to properly view Star Wars, reviews of The Hunger Games, and various random but usually interesting commentaries.

And now, back to my current learn-by-fire challenge...

-Ki

• GilaMonster (3/27/2012)

Is it just me, or does a term like 'That can be done, but people usually learn better' rankle when applied to something you've said?

That phrase is usually applied BY people who think they have the better solution and believe that person being told that is just a poor little puppy in need of house training.

I'm not saying you are (please don't take that comment the wrong way). I'm saying you are correct about the implied condescension. I'm a big believer that there are better ways to say 'I disagree and here's why'. And people's minds don't tend to change when hit with a stick, verbal or otherwise.

• GilaMonster (3/27/2012)

Is it just me, or does a term like 'That can be done, but people usually learn better' rankle when applied to something you've said?

Not just you. That's certainly not the most tactful way to tell someone that their might be a better way. It also sounds like someone who has a hammer so everything is a nail.

• Brandie Tarvin (3/27/2012)

I'm not saying you are (please don't take that comment the wrong way). I'm saying you are correct about the implied condescension. I'm a big believer that there are better ways to say 'I disagree and here's why'. And people's minds don't tend to change when hit with a stick, verbal or otherwise.

I don't think I've used that phrase, hell I hope not (not without extreme provocation at the least). Just had it used to me and it doesn't feel very nice,

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 15 posts - 34,966 through 34,980 (of 66,638 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply