Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (11/28/2011)

Jim Murphy (11/28/2011)

Those pictures from skiing looked great. I'm glad you got some serious time away!

Welcome home.

Thanks, we had a great time, great weather. Not a ton of snow, but enough to have fun.

Oh, and when I say "Welcome home", I don't mean where you sleep.

It's been about 15 or 20 years since I last went snow skiing. Maybe I'll have the chance in January if my session gets picked up. Never snowboarded before, but I skate boarded most of my life, including 8' bowls and pools (barely). Not sure how I'll do on a slippery slope and with the board strapped onto my feet; but looks like fun. Must try someday.

Jim Murphy
    http://www.sqlwatchmen.com
    @SQLMurph

• Kiara (11/28/2011)

The rest, at least, translates out into something that does, at least, translate to something potentially intelligible. (Although I do suspect "idle rich" should replace "rich idle"... 🙂

"rich idle"??? Sounds like something you might get from an ICE with a maladjusted carburettor! That made me want to look at what google does with it. The last two sentences are pretty off, but I guess you can work out what they probably mean. But just to be sure:

Still to fill glasses and empty them --> Always filling glasses and emptying them.

It takes you to a rich idle, in fact it is a working diver --> People take you for one of the idle rich, but in fact it's hard and unpleasant work.

I shall go back to trying to catch up on my inbox... 🙂

I gave up doing that a few years back. I just find the things I need to deal with now, the things I want to deal with now, and the things it would be impolite not to deal with now, catch up with those, and delete all spam that got past the filters. Then every now and again I go through the backlog, delete the stuff that's now hopelessly out of date, delete stuff that I reckon I will never get round to dealing with, and start reading the remainder of the backlog - but I never get to the end of it. It's odd really, I always used to deal with paper mail that way at work before we had email, but when email happened (about 1980 for company internal mail) for some reason I started trying to read and react to everything and it took me more than 20 years to kick that stupid habit.

Tom

• Jim Murphy (11/28/2011)

It's been about 15 or 20 years since I last went snow skiing. Maybe I'll have the chance in January if my session gets picked up. Never snowboarded before, but I skate boarded most of my life, including 8' bowls and pools (barely). Not sure how I'll do on a slippery slope and with the board strapped onto my feet; but looks like fun. Must try someday.

Snowboarding is more like surfing than skateboarding, IMHO, but both similar. I bet you'd do fine.

Not much of a skateboarder here, but I did grow up surfing, and I love speeding down the mountain on a board.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (11/28/2011)

Snowboarding is more like surfing than skateboarding, IMHO, but both similar. I bet you'd do fine.

Uh, ya. Sooo... Although I grew up in Los Angeles and hit the beach constantly, I was a skim boarder. Used to make our own in various shapes. I only surfed once, about 4 years ago when I visited my brother who still lives there. Although I was able to stand and ride a few on a 6' board or so, I would hardly say that I "tore it up" out there. Those 4' waves were killing me!

Also, you know how little I exercise, so I had little endurance. Ya, I'm thinking it'll be much more of a comedy show.

Jim Murphy
    http://www.sqlwatchmen.com
    @SQLMurph

• GSquared (11/28/2011)

But, Yahoo Babel Fish wins first prize with:

... in fact c' is a work of plunger.

I just love this part. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (11/28/2011)

Greg Edwards-268690 (11/23/2011)

Brandie Tarvin (11/23/2011)

And now for the public flogging moment of The Thread as I post a semi-technical question that is sure to get me lynched.

We have a Word 2003 document pointing to an Access 2003 database / query. It pulls records that have been marked with a -1 flag. What I'd like to do, but I don't know if it's possible, is put a macro into Word that, as soon as the records are printed, updates the Access database and changes the -1 to 0.

This is a user db only being supported until we upgrade them to a proper database (it's a long project). This change is in response to a user annoyance factor in which the flag isn't getting updated by the users and the mail merge is pulling old data along with the new data. Since the Access db will be decommissioned eventually, I don't want to put too much effort into this, but I do need to at least look at possible solutions.

Thoughts?

Anything is possible.

It might depend on a couple of things.

As you pull each record in to the merge document, couldn't you just execute an update query for that record in conjuction with printing?

That's what I'm asking. Is there a way to get Word to update the information? The documents are showing up in a Word Template that pulls the data from the Access db.

The Word document is pointing to a query to select and I'm a little hesitant to add the UPDATE in that specific query as I don't know how Access updates information and how it will affect the printing of the documents.

Are you familiar with VBA?

Ends up as an array which you could loop through each by index, print, then send an update statement assuming you have the needed keys.

Inside Word, press ALT +F11, then launch the object browser icon.

Search for mailmerge.

• Hope you all had a happy holiday! I'm baaack. And sorry, just need a moment of vent:

[RANT!]

Stupid lousy antique piece of crap system doing double/triple back to back updates and blowing up the .003 millisecond rounding of a datetime stamp in 2k5 when I'm trying to build an intelligent point in time auditing structure and developers who are being royal PITA's about me not wanting to allow for duplication of point in time because it just makes no goddamned sense to do shit like that and increase database traffic for crappy assed reasons...

[/RANT]

Thank you. And Steve... if I'd only known....

PANTS!

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Evil Kraig F (11/28/2011)

. . . Stupid lousy antique piece of crap system . . .

I guess you need two beers to see things soberly.

Definitely works for me in these cases.

• Roy Ernest (11/28/2011)

My article on Audit came out today. This is part 1. (Change Tracking). Yay...!!! As expected the rating is not great. 🙁

Just had to give us time to roll out of bed Roy. 😉 It's an appropriate series considering my frustrations at the moment!

Reminds me I have to finish up the 3 I was working on myself. They're all in a half-disheveled... errr... completed... state.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

• Brandie Tarvin (11/28/2011)

GSquared (11/28/2011)

Yep! I can just imagine the poor drunks and their plungers!

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (11/28/2011)

Brandie Tarvin (11/28/2011)

GSquared (11/28/2011)

That would explain a LOT about Mario's World...

- Craig Farrell

GSquared (11/28/2011)

GSquared (11/28/2011)

Beer <> Mushroom

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (11/28/2011)

Evil Kraig F (11/28/2011)

GSquared (11/28/2011)

GSquared (11/28/2011)

Beer <> Mushroom

Lies.

- Craig Farrell

SQLRNNR (11/28/2011)

Evil Kraig F (11/28/2011)

GSquared (11/28/2011)

GSquared (11/28/2011)

Beer <> Mushroom

Lies.

:-D:-P

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• So I had to post this job description I got via email today for a SQL Server DBA position:

Qualified candidates will possess programming skills, such as skill in the use of HTML, Cascading Style Sheets (CSS), JavaScript, and image editing software. Other qualifications required for this position includes extensive knowledge of web-browser platforms; knowledge of optimizing content for mobile devices; experience with testing mobile websites on multiple devices. In addition, the following skills and abilities are critical to success in this position: exceptional written and verbal communication skills; the ability to consult and interact with a diverse client base; the ability to present technical information to end-users; the ability to work independently and as part of a team; and organizational and task management skills.

Design: Web Technical Design

Strong technical knowledge of how web-based technologies apply to web design

General Competencies

Excellent Communication Skills

Excellent oral and written communication skills

Information Technology - Languages/Tools

HTML / XML / XSLT / CSS

Information Technology - Network/Infrastructure

Wireless - Mobile

Information Technology - Requirements

Experience in creating concise, cross-browser compliant cascading stylesheets (CSS)

Information Technology - System Monitoring/Automation

Java Script and HTML

Information Technology - Testing

Ability to perform testing of applications, facilitate testing by others, document results

Really the job title is SQL Server DBA. I don't have any of the technology bits on my resume.

Viewing 15 posts - 32,191 through 32,205 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply