Are the posted questions getting worse?

• My article on Audit came out today. This is part 1. (Change Tracking). Yay...!!! As expected the rating is not great. πŸ™

Second part has already been submitted (CDC). Waiting for Steve to rip it apart. πŸ˜€ Writing the last part of the series now (SQL Audit). I want to finish writing before new year starts. πŸ™‚

-Roy

• Roy Ernest (11/28/2011)

My article on Audit came out today. This is part 1. (Change Tracking). Yay...!!! As expected the rating is not great. πŸ™

Second part has already been submitted (CDC). Waiting for Steve to rip it apart. πŸ˜€ Writing the last part of the series now (SQL Audit). I want to finish writing before new year starts. πŸ™‚

Nicely done Roy!!! πŸ™‚

• Greg Edwards-268690 (11/23/2011)

Brandie Tarvin (11/23/2011)

And now for the public flogging moment of The Thread as I post a semi-technical question that is sure to get me lynched.

We have a Word 2003 document pointing to an Access 2003 database / query. It pulls records that have been marked with a -1 flag. What I'd like to do, but I don't know if it's possible, is put a macro into Word that, as soon as the records are printed, updates the Access database and changes the -1 to 0.

This is a user db only being supported until we upgrade them to a proper database (it's a long project). This change is in response to a user annoyance factor in which the flag isn't getting updated by the users and the mail merge is pulling old data along with the new data. Since the Access db will be decommissioned eventually, I don't want to put too much effort into this, but I do need to at least look at possible solutions.

Thoughts?

Anything is possible.

It might depend on a couple of things.

As you pull each record in to the merge document, couldn't you just execute an update query for that record in conjuction with printing?

That's what I'm asking. Is there a way to get Word to update the information? The documents are showing up in a Word Template that pulls the data from the Access db.

The Word document is pointing to a query to select and I'm a little hesitant to add the UPDATE in that specific query as I don't know how Access updates information and how it will affect the printing of the documents.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Roy Ernest (11/28/2011)

My article on Audit came out today. This is part 1. (Change Tracking). Yay...!!! As expected the rating is not great. πŸ™

Congrats!

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Kiara (11/28/2011)

Evil Kraig F (11/22/2011)

Koen Verbeeck (11/22/2011)

L' Eomot InversΓ© (11/22/2011)

I like your signature by the way. One of those universal truths πŸ˜€

Pourquoi contredire une femme ? Il est tellement plus simple d'attendre qu'elle change d'avis!

Which like most universal truths... I don't understand. To the cloud!

Google Translate

Why contradict a woman? There is so much easier to wait until she changes her mind!

Close enough.

Wow. I get back after a week off to find sexist taglines on the Thread.

I'm frankly surprised by this.

I was beginning to think no one would react like that - 6 whole days with those two quotations in my sig and not a peep! But at last, a reaction.

Do you prefer the new one, Ki?

edit: warning: Google Translate will get this wrong. To start with a plongeur is an overworked unfortunate who earns money (but not much - not enough) scrubbing plates, pots , and pans in a restaurant, not a diver (which I'm prepared to bet will be Google's translation, although it's blatantly obvious that it can't mean that here). Also the sentences are probably too complex for Google's parser to get right.

Tom

• I'm baaaaaackkkkk

Immunity granted to all problems in the Thread over the last week. No way I'm going through the last week of posts.

• Welcome back steve.

It is a good idea that you are not going to go through last weeks posts. You might feel dizzy. πŸ˜€

-Roy

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (11/28/2011)

I'm baaaaaackkkkk

Immunity granted to all problems in the Thread over the last week.

Haaaaaave you been conversing with too maaaaaany lambs away?

No way

Because they had lost theirs?

I'm going through the last week of posts.

Tom

I'm baaaaaackkkkk

Immunity granted to all problems in the Thread over the last week. No way I'm going through the last week of posts.

Moderate pants talk, nothing more to see. πŸ˜‰

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Those pictures from skiing looked great. I'm glad you got some serious time away!

Welcome home.

Jim Murphy
    http://www.sqlwatchmen.com
    @SQLMurph

• L' Eomot InversΓ© (11/28/2011)

I was beginning to think no one would react like that - 6 whole days with those two quotations in my sig and not a peep! But at last, a reaction.

edit: warning: Google Translate will get this wrong. To start with a plongeur is an overworked unfortunate who earns money (but not much - not enough) scrubbing plates, pots , and pans in a restaurant, not a diver (which I'm prepared to bet will be Google's translation, although it's blatantly obvious that it can't mean that here). Also the sentences are probably too complex for Google's parser to get right.

*bows* I'm pleased to be able to provide you with the reaction you were hoping for! My apologies for going on vacation just as you chose to stir the pot! πŸ˜€

The new one is much better - but I'd merely have been scratching my head if you hadn't explained that the translation should be dishwasher, not diver. The rest, at least, translates out into something that does, at least, translate to something potentially intelligible. (Although I do suspect "idle rich" should replace "rich idle"... πŸ™‚

Hope everyone who hid from work over the last week had a great time vacating!

I shall go back to trying to catch up on my inbox... πŸ™‚

-Ki

No way I'm going through the last week of posts.

You sure? You might miss a couple of hilarious pants jokes. :w00t:

Welcome back.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• GilaMonster (11/24/2011)

Ninja's_RGR'us (11/24/2011)

GS now works for RG so he's borderline on that one ;-).

I think you mean GF (Grant Fritchey), because last time I checked I didn't work for RedGate. I'm pretty sure they'd tell me if I'd been sold to them.

He usually calls me "GS". I think that would make you "GM". Considering the RPG use of that, might not be a bad moniker, all things considered.

(As already noted, no, I don't work for Redgate. He meant Grant.)

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Kiara (11/28/2011)

L' Eomot InversΓ© (11/28/2011)

*bows* I'm pleased to be able to provide you with the reaction you were hoping for! My apologies for going on vacation just as you chose to stir the pot! πŸ˜€

The new one is much better - but I'd merely have been scratching my head if you hadn't explained that the translation should be dishwasher, not diver. The rest, at least, translates out into something that does, at least, translate to something potentially intelligible. (Although I do suspect "idle rich" should replace "rich idle"... πŸ™‚

Hope everyone who hid from work over the last week had a great time vacating!

I shall go back to trying to catch up on my inbox... πŸ™‚

Bing translation:

Do you think it gets drunk for fun? Being drunk is not a sinecure... If you knew the attention and perseverance to be! Always fill glasses and empty them. It takes you to a rich oisif, in fact it is a work of diver.

Google:

Do you think we get drunk for fun? Being drunk is not an easy task ... If you knew the attention and perseverance it takes! Still to fill glasses and empty them. It takes you to a rich idle, in fact it is a working diver.

I like the Bing one better, because it is complete nonsense. Lewis Carol never attempted that level of "huh?"

But, Yahoo Babel Fish wins first prize with:

You believe qu' one s' enivre for s' to amuse? To be addicted to drink this n' is not a sinecure… If you knew l' attention and perseverance qu' it is necessary! Always to fill of glasses and to empty them. One takes to you for an idle rich person, in fact c' is a work of plunger.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Jim Murphy (11/28/2011)

Those pictures from skiing looked great. I'm glad you got some serious time away!

Welcome home.

Thanks, we had a great time, great weather. Not a ton of snow, but enough to have fun.

Viewing 15 posts - 32,176 through 32,190 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply