Are the posted questions getting worse?

• bitbucket-25253 (11/22/2011)

Ah for real problems try Cleveland and its suburbs ... Columbus is pleasant compared to Clevland ...

Cleveland... isn't that where people go when they die? 😀

My main pet peeve with drivers (particularly Houston drivers), is entering a Freeway(West Coast)/Expressway(East Coast) at under the speed limit.

Since I learned to drive in LA, getting onto and off of the Expressway is a talent you have to learn fast or you become a statistic. You HAVE to get up to the speed limit or you WILL get rear ended.

But in Houston, and in Florida to a slightly lesser degree, 45-55 is the speed you go to merge into traffic going 65-75. Drives me nuts!

Which is probably why it is a good thing my car isn't equiped with Vulcan sub-machine guns and a ram plate. :w00t: (Car Wars by Steve Jackson anyone?)

edit: to correct typo

-- Kit

• Kit G (11/22/2011)

But in Houston, and in Florida to a slightly lesser degree, 45-55 is the speed you go to merge into traffic going 65-75. Drives me nuts!

Preach it, Sister! - The Choir

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Stefan Krzywicki

I'm used to NJ and Boston traffic. One of my first jobs was driving a truck route in Manhattan. Columbus's traffic isn't, or at least shouldn't be, in that class, but they do try!

New Jersey - Garden State Parkway with all the $%# toll booths. And south bound on a summer Friday night and north on a Monday morning. Those were the days .. in fact 20 years of it ... ugh...

Before your time I am sure but coming off the bridge over the Raritan River, south bound, high tide due to a nor-easter, the race to get home or to work before the road flooded ....

But otherwise if you followed protocol, that is 75+ in the left most lane, 65-70 in the middle lane, and 65 in the right most lane why it was a nice drive, that is if you enjoyed spacing between you and the car behind or in front of you of less than 3 feet. Can remember one accident involving about 40 cars, each one rammed into the tail of the car in front of it. Ah those were the days.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• Kit G (11/22/2011)

bitbucket-25253 (11/22/2011)

Ah for real problems try Cleveland and its suburbs ... Columbus is pleasant compared to Clevland ...

My main pet peeve with drivers (particularly Houston drivers), is entering a Freeway(West Coast)/Expressway(East Coast) at under the speed limit.

Since I learned to drive in LA, getting onto and off of the Expressway is a talent you have to learn fast or you become a statistic. You HAVE to get up to the speed limit or you WILL get rear ended.

Which is probably why it is a good thing my car isn't equiped with Vulcan sub-machine guns and a ram plate. :w00t: (Car Wars by Steve Jackson anyone?)

Ah, Car Wars. Many teenage hours spent playing that game.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Stefan Krzywicki (11/22/2011)

Kit G (11/22/2011)

Ah, Car Wars. Many teenage hours spent playing that game.

Spent a few days at least on Car Wars

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Stefan Krzywicki

I'm used to NJ and Boston traffic. One of my first jobs was driving a truck route in Manhattan. Columbus's traffic isn't, or at least shouldn't be, in that class, but they do try!

New Jersey - Garden State Parkway with all the $%# toll booths. And south bound on a summer Friday night and north on a Monday morning. Those were the days .. in fact 20 years of it ... ugh...

Before your time I am sure but coming off the bridge over the Raritan River, south bound, high tide due to a nor-easter, the race to get home or to work before the road flooded ....

But otherwise if you followed protocol, that is 75+ in the left most lane, 65-70 in the middle lane, and 65 in the right most lane why it was a nice drive, that is if you enjoyed spacing between you and the car behind or in front of you of less than 3 feet. Can remember one accident involving about 40 cars, each one rammed into the tail of the car in front of it. Ah those were the days.

Many of those tollbooths are gone now and there are high-speed lanes on many of the remaining ones. One of the few accidents I've been in was on the GSP. North-bound, just north of the Union tollbooths on the way home from work in the rain. Guy in front of me stopped short, I stopped short and didn't hit him, guy in an Accord behind me was going too fast to stop in time. The trailer hitch on my truck broke his radiator in two. Fun times. Accident in the middle lane at rush-hour and before I got a cell-phone.

By the time I was driving down that far on the Parkway, there was the high bridge, but then I remember that from going down the shore as a kid too. How long ago did the parkway get flooded over the Raritan?

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.

Stefan Krzywicki (11/22/2011)

jcrawf02 (11/22/2011)

I lived in Columbus, OH for awhile, they're too small to have traffic with the road system they have, but they still manage to create it. I think they make up for their smaller size by driving like idiots.

hahahahaha! Home, sweet home!

I was once stuck in traffic for an hour on 315 because there was a fire hydrant open next to the highway. None of the water was getting on the highway, but everyone slowed to a crawl while going by. And don't even get me started on what happens there when it snows. : -)

Everything is pleasant compared to Cleveland

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (11/22/2011)

jcrawf02 (11/22/2011)

I lived in Columbus, OH for awhile, they're too small to have traffic with the road system they have, but they still manage to create it. I think they make up for their smaller size by driving like idiots.

hahahahaha! Home, sweet home!

I was once stuck in traffic for an hour on 315 because there was a fire hydrant open next to the highway. None of the water was getting on the highway, but everyone slowed to a crawl while going by. And don't even get me started on what happens there when it snows. : -)

Everything is pleasant compared to Cleveland

Gary Indiana? Camden, New Jersey? Reno, Nevada?

• Posted Today @ 2:23 PM

By the time I was driving down that far on the Parkway, there was the high bridge, but then I remember that from going down the shore as a kid too. How long ago did the parkway get flooded over the Raritan?

Back in the late '50s and early 60s . probably before you were out of swaddling clothes....

Stefan Krzywicki Posted Today @ 3:22 PM

Reno, Nevada?

Been there, walking, not driving, too young (13 yrs old) at the time. But do remember the cowboys driving cattle to the rail road loading yard, down the main street and under that famous sign spanning the street with the words "The greatest little city in the world"

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

Stefan Krzywicki Posted Today @ 2:23 PM

Back in the late '50s and early 60s . probably befoe you were out of swaddling clothes....

Yeah, that's before I was in swaddling clothes. 😛

• You're an opinionated bunch here, I'd appreciate hearing your opinions on Execution Plan viewing

Go opinionate! (Please) :w00t:

You're an opinionated bunch here, I'd appreciate hearing your opinions on Execution Plan viewing

Go opinionate! (Please) :w00t:

Opinion opinion... opinion... opt opt.... opinion! Onionate! Unionate! Unify and separate!

... I was going somewhere with that but now I don't remember. 😛

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• L' Eomot Inversé (11/22/2011)

SQLRNNR (11/22/2011)

L' Eomot Inversé (11/22/2011)

Evil Kraig F (11/21/2011)

Tom: Christie Brinkley? I've seen that pose somewhere on one of the 80's models, but well, it's a bit common and tiny. Hard to determine a few details there... 😉

No, she's a decade older than Christie Brinkley.

Francoise Hardy

Correct!

By my reckoning, one of the 20th centuries best three French singers of non-classical music (the others were Georges Brassens and Edith Piaf). The first French pop singer to become internationally famous (neither Piaf nor Brassens sang pop) and my favorite of all pop singers.

Two things helped me figure it out. The lyrics and google goggles. Not sure I have heard her music but the other two ring a bell. Gonna have to check out some of her stuff.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Ninja's_RGR'us (11/22/2011)

Koen Verbeeck (11/22/2011)

Ninja's_RGR'us (11/22/2011)

What do you guys think of this as a first house?

http://passerelle.centris.ca/Redirect2.aspx?CodeDest=I2V&NoMls=MT8619554&Source=

In Belgium, that would be a cheap house :blink:

It certainly looks nice. Not really my style and it could use some renovation and garden work, but what a view! I wish I had a view like that, and my house costs 3 times more. (bleuh, stupid house market over here)

edit: had to brush up my French.

Looks great from the outside. Here in the Boston area, that much money would get you a parking space.

Here we think paying for parking is wrong and that 5$ / day is insanely high :-D.

It is funny, parking at work is $150 a month. Commuter rail is around the same, but work pays for my parking, but won't pay for public transportation so I drive. If it were the other way around or equal, I'd probably take the train. As it is I just got a new Prius and get to enjoy traffic every morning.

Seriously? That is lame. Overall better for the employee to let them ride the rail (more relaxed, less stress, less pollution).

Learn Extended Events

GSquared (11/22/2011)

Jack Corbett (11/22/2011)

I start a new job in less than 2 weeks and it is a telecommute. I need to buy a new monitor and chair for my office. Any recommendations? I have a limited budget for this.

Go to some office furniture stores (Office Depot and Staples both have sections for it, and there are usually some actual office furniture local retailers around). Try various chairs in each. Make sure to sit in front of a desk that's got at least similar height to the one you'll actually use.

Then, if you're planning on using a laptop, also try some just plain old armchairs and overstuffed chairs, with laptop stands instead of a desk. There are stands that will hold the laptop over your lap in those types of chairs. There are also "tables" that used to be popular for watching TV from a recliner, which were designed to hold a dinner plate, cup, etc., so you could eat and watch in the living room. Hospitals use something similar for the bedside tables. Any of those can be made to work quite nicely for a laptop in a really comfortable chair. Main drawback is no writing space next to the laptop, like a real desk, but that may or may not matter to you.

So, try some options, see what you like, then see if it's in-budget. You are an IT worker, so over budget is kind of traditional anyway.

IKEA also has some nice office chairs.

And "standing desks" are all the rage right now, you might want to consider one of those. Two people where I work swear by them. A third tried it and gave up.

Only useful to have a standing desk if you can put a treadmill in there with it:-D

Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 32,116 through 32,130 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply