Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Stefan Krzywicki (11/22/2011)

I lived in Columbus, OH for awhile, they're too small to have traffic with the road system they have, but they still manage to create it. I think they make up for their smaller size by driving like idiots.

hahahahaha! Home, sweet home!

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

GSquared (11/22/2011)

Jack Corbett (11/22/2011)

I start a new job in less than 2 weeks and it is a telecommute. I need to buy a new monitor and chair for my office. Any recommendations? I have a limited budget for this.

Go to some office furniture stores (Office Depot and Staples both have sections for it, and there are usually some actual office furniture local retailers around). Try various chairs in each. Make sure to sit in front of a desk that's got at least similar height to the one you'll actually use.

Then, if you're planning on using a laptop, also try some just plain old armchairs and overstuffed chairs, with laptop stands instead of a desk. There are stands that will hold the laptop over your lap in those types of chairs. There are also "tables" that used to be popular for watching TV from a recliner, which were designed to hold a dinner plate, cup, etc., so you could eat and watch in the living room. Hospitals use something similar for the bedside tables. Any of those can be made to work quite nicely for a laptop in a really comfortable chair. Main drawback is no writing space next to the laptop, like a real desk, but that may or may not matter to you.

So, try some options, see what you like, then see if it's in-budget. You are an IT worker, so over budget is kind of traditional anyway.

IKEA also has some nice office chairs.

And "standing desks" are all the rage right now, you might want to consider one of those. Two people where I work swear by them. A third tried it and gave up.

Second this, although the ability to change from seated/standing is handy. Either an adjustable desk (expensive) a kludge (like a shelf you can put on the desk to raise your monitor/keyboard when you want) or as my friend does, buy a drafting desk, then use a bar chair so you can sit at the higher table.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

GSquared (11/22/2011)

Jack Corbett (11/22/2011)

I start a new job in less than 2 weeks and it is a telecommute. I need to buy a new monitor and chair for my office. Any recommendations? I have a limited budget for this.

Go to some office furniture stores (Office Depot and Staples both have sections for it, and there are usually some actual office furniture local retailers around). Try various chairs in each. Make sure to sit in front of a desk that's got at least similar height to the one you'll actually use.

Then, if you're planning on using a laptop, also try some just plain old armchairs and overstuffed chairs, with laptop stands instead of a desk. There are stands that will hold the laptop over your lap in those types of chairs. There are also "tables" that used to be popular for watching TV from a recliner, which were designed to hold a dinner plate, cup, etc., so you could eat and watch in the living room. Hospitals use something similar for the bedside tables. Any of those can be made to work quite nicely for a laptop in a really comfortable chair. Main drawback is no writing space next to the laptop, like a real desk, but that may or may not matter to you.

So, try some options, see what you like, then see if it's in-budget. You are an IT worker, so over budget is kind of traditional anyway.

And "standing desks" are all the rage right now, you might want to consider one of those. Two people where I work swear by them. A third tried it and gave up.

IKEA does have some. Where I live, they're more expensive than other options, but they do have a lot of choices.

I've tried standing desks. Tend more to swear at them than by them, in my case. Some do like them.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• jcrawf02 (11/22/2011)

Stefan Krzywicki (11/22/2011)

I lived in Columbus, OH for awhile, they're too small to have traffic with the road system they have, but they still manage to create it. I think they make up for their smaller size by driving like idiots.

I was once stuck in traffic for an hour on 315 because there was a fire hydrant open next to the highway. None of the water was getting on the highway, but everyone slowed to a crawl while going by. And don't even get me started on what happens there when it snows. : -)

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

I had a look in IKEA in Arrecife a couple of years ago, and was appalled at the office chair selection there; most of them were not at all well designed, none of them was well enough designed that I would use it; so I still don't have a decent office chair in LZ. Doesn't much matter, fortunately. Maybe other IKEA stores are better, maybe the Arrecife one now has some decent stuff, but on my experience that I wouldn't suggest looking in IKEA.

Tom

• L' Eomot Inversé (11/22/2011)

I had a look in IKEA in Arrecife a couple of years ago, and was appalled at the office chair selection there; most of them were not at all well designed, none of them was well enough designed that I would use it; so I still don't have a decent office chair in LZ. Doesn't much matter, fortunately. Maybe other IKEA stores are better, maybe the Arrecife one now has some decent stuff, but on my experience that I wouldn't suggest looking in IKEA.

Change the avatar back, don't like that one as much 😉

I mention it because my fiancee found an office chair she loves there and because there's a large selection with lots of variety. There's also an Ikea chair named after me, but it isn't an office chair. 🙂

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.

There's also an Ikea chair named after me, but it isn't an office chair. 🙂

What? They've actually named a chair "Accidental DBA"?

Wow. I'm impressed. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Ninja's_RGR'us (11/22/2011)

OK, is this one better?

Tom

Ninja's_RGR'us (11/22/2011)

OK, is this one better?

A little.

What else you got?

• Brandie Tarvin (11/22/2011)

Wow. I'm impressed. @=)

A stool? 😛

/joke.

• Brandie Tarvin (11/22/2011)

Wow. I'm impressed. @=)

LOL, no it is called "I'm a systems analyst, damn it! Stop making me do DBA work!" 🙂

• Ninja's_RGR'us (11/22/2011)

Brandie Tarvin (11/22/2011)

Wow. I'm impressed. @=)

A stool? 😛

/joke.

And a good one, if only a sample.

I would love to have a chair in my name, but I don't think my university will go for it.

jcrawf02 (11/22/2011)

I was once stuck in traffic for an hour on 315 because there was a fire hydrant open next to the highway. None of the water was getting on the highway, but everyone slowed to a crawl while going by. And don't even get me started on what happens there when it snows. : -)

Ah for real problems try Cleveland and its suburbs ... Columbus is pleasant compared to Clevland ...

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• bitbucket-25253 (11/22/2011)

jcrawf02 (11/22/2011)

Ah for real problems try Cleveland and its suburbs ... Columbus is pleasant compared to Clevland ...

I'm used to NJ and Boston traffic. One of my first jobs was driving a truck route in Manhattan. Columbus's traffic isn't, or at least shouldn't be, in that class, but they do try!

Viewing 15 posts - 32,101 through 32,115 (of 66,608 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply