Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Brandie Tarvin (6/9/2011)

SQLRNNR (6/9/2011)

GilaMonster (6/9/2011)

Jim Murphy (6/9/2011)

The best part is that your posts are not useless point-getting restatements. Grrrr, I hate those.

You mean the parrot effect? Someone posts a solution and suddenly three or so other people post exactly the same solution. Amazing how multiple people suddenly come up with the same idea at the same time... </sarcasm>

Like when somebody posts the same solution you did - only 10+ minutes later. Polly want a cracker?

Okay, let's be a little fair. How many of these people actually read past the question to see if it was already answered? And how many of those read past the first page on the thread?

I'm talking about cases where it's a near or total copy of an earlier answer (down to the words, phrases and misspellings used) and a non-trivial problem (not something that can be quoted from BoL or a 1 word answer)

Doesn't happen too often, but often enough to be noticeable.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Congrats Gail.

Thanks at least that number of times for saving our ***. :kiss:

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Anybody ready to start the countdown for 30K?

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• GilaMonster (6/9/2011)

I post too much.

Maybe, maybe not. We're still learning from you, and I'm hoping that you'll keep on posting so I can keep on learning.

(Congrats on the 25k. )

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• GilaMonster (6/9/2011)

Stefan Krzywicki (6/9/2011)

I think I'd be more worried about someone with a gladius on a subway car. A claymore is a lot of steel in a confined space.

It's more the psychological effect. 'His weapons are larger than mine' impression.

Yep. That was my thought when I heard the story, a subway car is a bit cramped to be using a 6' length of steel. But the "His weapons are larger than mine" tends to work on the un-educated who don't know that two-handed swords need 10ft of space or else they suffer a penalty to hit and damage. 🙂

Since the gladius was designed with close quarters in mind (it's awfully rude to stab your buddy in formation when you're trying to kill the bad guy), I'd worry more about the gladius than the two-hander. Although, if you're hit on the first swing before the two-hander gets tangled up in something, it's kinda a moot point for you.

-- Kit

• GilaMonster (6/9/2011)

Chad Crawford (6/9/2011)

If I'm a "Database Engineer", it doesn't sound like I know anything.

That was my title at the bank 3 or so years ago...

Yikes! I hope you weren't offended by my comment, I have an incredible amount of respect for your skill and expertiese. I realize titles are quite subjective and vary from company to company, I shouldn't have used a specific example. My apologies to you and anyone else who may be or have ever been a Database Engineer.

Thanks everyone for the great title ideas, I knew I would get some great input here and certainly did.

GilaMonster (6/9/2011)

I post too much.

Congrats Gail, quite an accomplishment!

• Jim Murphy (6/9/2011)

GilaMonster (6/9/2011)

I post too much.

Congrats Gail! That's awesome.

The best part is that your posts are not useless point-getting restatements. Grrrr, I hate those. You post consistent quality.

Yeah, I hate when people just restate someone's post in order to get points.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (6/9/2011)

Jim Murphy (6/9/2011)

GilaMonster (6/9/2011)

I post too much.

The best part is that your posts are not useless point-getting restatements. Grrrr, I hate those. You post consistent quality.

Yeah, I really hate when people just restate someone's post in order to get points.

(notice the addition of a word up there above that prevents this post from being exactly that! @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

jcrawf02 (6/9/2011)

Jim Murphy (6/9/2011)

GilaMonster (6/9/2011)

I post too much.

Yeah, I really hate when people just restate someone's post in order to get points.

(notice the addition of a word up there above that prevents this post from being exactly that! @=)

Yeah, I really really hate when people just restate someone's post in order to get points.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Just a reminder for anyone in or near Dallas this weekend. I'll be attending A-kon 22 to promote and sign anthology copies of The Ladies of Trade Town. Here is our schedule:

Denver anytime?

Hey, Steve (and other Prius owners), I just heard about this and wanted to pass it along:

Toyota says a problem with electric power steering is prompting a recall of about 52,000 Priuses from 2001-3 in the United States, part of a global action affecting 106,000 vehicles.

Tx, I'm 2007, and I typically get these in the mail. I've had two: floor mats, waste of time, and headlight issue. Still haven't fixed, not sure it's an issue for me.

2001-2003 now? That's quite a bit later. How long to recalls apply?

• GilaMonster (6/9/2011)

I post too much.

Congrats!

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/9/2011)

Brandie Tarvin (6/9/2011)

Just a reminder for anyone in or near Dallas this weekend. I'll be attending A-kon 22 to promote and sign anthology copies of The Ladies of Trade Town. Here is our schedule:

Denver anytime?

My 2011 schedule includes GenCon (Indianapolis), World Fantasy (San Diego), WorldCon / Renovations (Reno), and Dragon*Con (Atlanta).

Sadly, Denver is not on my current list.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/9/2011)

Brandie Tarvin (6/9/2011)

Hey, Steve (and other Prius owners), I just heard about this and wanted to pass it along:

Toyota says a problem with electric power steering is prompting a recall of about 52,000 Priuses from 2001-3 in the United States, part of a global action affecting 106,000 vehicles.

Tx, I'm 2007, and I typically get these in the mail. I've had two: floor mats, waste of time, and headlight issue. Still haven't fixed, not sure it's an issue for me.

2001-2003 now? That's quite a bit later. How long to recalls apply?

Depends on the manufacturer. Technically, you should be able to take the car in during the course of its lifetime to get it fixed, but traditionally, manufacturers cut it off after 1-2 years (they figure anyone who was going to get the problem fixed would have gotten it fixed already).

• GilaMonster (6/9/2011)

I post too much.

No, you don't. The world would be a poorer place without your comments.

-Ki

Viewing 15 posts - 27,151 through 27,165 (of 66,603 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply