Am I the only DBA

• Just out of curiosity, Am I the only DBA that doesnt have a laptop or a desktop and no sql books, who didnt go to university :-D, doesnt have a driving license and isnt certified ( and I am not talking about the straight jacket here, well maybe not yet) and hasnt been on any sql courses.

IF so let me know, so I know I am not suffering on my own 😀

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• Nope - you're not alone.

All of my training is self-taught on the job - no degree. Company won't pay for a laptop - so I bought my own, but they frown on using personal devices on the network at work. No certifications - but I do have a driver's license. Where I live - can't get anywhere without one.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• I have a drivers license. No Certification though. Dont have any books either. I have BOL, and the Internet at my finger tips at work.

Company gave me a lap top but rarely use it... I think I will have to dust it up. I hate to get on the computer when I am home. I like to give that much time for my family.

-Roy

• Silverfox,

I am one of these C++ developers accidentally turned into (ANTI RBAR, Jeff please note) T-SQL developers with DBA responsibilities if required (if the other two go on leave at the same time I mean, and no, I don't get the SA password). Never had any formal training on SQL. Got a (car) drivers license though, otherwise kids 's can't get to school in this country. And yes, got a laptop, company sponsored, no personal ones allowed on the network. Guess that's just to keep me awake all night and day just to maximise their profits. Books? Apart from BOL as Roy mentioned, my paper library doesn't go anywhere past SQL 7.0. No, wrong, got Grant Fritcheys excellent one on dissecting query plans of course. Courses? We had Kimberley Tripp down here in Cape Town about two years ago, that was awesome. And then there is always TechEd (which I didn't manage to attend coz it was in Durban) and the annual DevDays that happens all over the country. Usually attempt to attend those, and employer has no issues with that.

So, all in all, you are really not on your own.

Greets,

Jan

• Nice to know people out there are suffering as much as I am 😛

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]

• laptop: got one, company paid

sql books: never seen one

university: cs degree

driving license: you must have it here to survive

certification: I'm planning to take one, but I will have to pay for it on my own

sql courses: my boss thinks that certifications and courses makes employees more interesting for recruiters, so he pays for neither of them

You're not suffering on your own: many people here in Italy are in the exact same situation.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Gianluca Sartori (9/8/2009)

laptop: got one, company paid

sql books: never seen one

university: cs degree

driving license: you must have it here to survive

certification: I'm planning to take one, but I will have to pay for it on my own

sql courses: my boss thinks that certifications and courses makes employees more interesting for recruiters, so he pays for neither of them

You're not suffering on your own: many people here in Italy are in the exact same situation.

never worked in Italy, might have to travel there :-), shame about the tight fisted boss though

• Silverfox (9/7/2009)

Just out of curiosity, Am I the only DBA that doesnt have a laptop or a desktop and no sql books, who didnt go to university :-D, doesnt have a driving license and isnt certified ( and I am not talking about the straight jacket here, well maybe not yet) and hasnt been on any sql courses.

Laptop - not for work but I have a personal one at home.

Desktop - At work, yes!

SQL Books - Lots of them!

University - No, too lazy and proabably too dumb back then

Driving license - Yes, although I did find out I have not changed my address!! Need to get on that

Certified - No, again, too lazy!

SQL Courses - Been on a few but not for a long time now.

• Yes = Laptop, Desktop, Books, Drivers License

No = everything else.

How on earth do you function as a DBA, let alone post on SSC without a desktop or a laptop? You gotta have one. As to the rest, while I lived in NYC I didn't have a driver's license (I let it lapse, I've been driving vehicles under license since I was 14). I got one a couple of years before we left because my wife was sick of having to drive us everywhere. If you live outside of large cities in the US, you pretty much have to have a drivers license... well, to drive legally you do.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey (9/8/2009)

Yes = Laptop, Desktop, Books, Drivers License

No = everything else.

How on earth do you function as a DBA, let alone post on SSC without a desktop or a laptop? You gotta have one. As to the rest, while I lived in NYC I didn't have a driver's license (I let it lapse, I've been driving vehicles under license since I was 14). I got one a couple of years before we left because my wife was sick of having to drive us everywhere. If you live outside of large cities in the US, you pretty much have to have a drivers license... well, to drive legally you do.

Well i dont have a licence and I am not far off the 40 middle aged going on 20 persona. i dont own a laptop or computer of my own and the only time I am on SSC is when I am at work. so my time is limited. and you could in theory work as a dba using a mobile phone but i havent tried that yet. considering i am working near london atm and i live in north wales. my missus wants me to get a license so she doesnt have to drive me everywhere.

• Silverfox (9/7/2009)

Just out of curiosity, Am I the only DBA that doesnt have a laptop or a desktop and no sql books, who didnt go to university :-D, doesnt have a driving license and isnt certified ( and I am not talking about the straight jacket here, well maybe not yet) and hasnt been on any sql courses.

BWAA-HAA!!! So, why do you think you're suffering?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Laptop - Yes

Desktop - Yes

SQL Books - Yes (Lots of them)

University - Yes (BS Computer Science and Business Adminstration;MA Computer Information Resource Management and Space Systems Management)

Drivers License - Yes

Certified - No

• Jeff Moden (9/8/2009)

Silverfox (9/7/2009)

BWAA-HAA!!! So, why do you think you're suffering?

I was reasonably happy that my suffering would end at some point until you posted :-P, and then I realised that suffering has no end 😉

Do you know that your surname also spells Demon, not trying to say anything here. but your comment gives me cause for worry...

• Hey Fox, That was a low blow...:hehe:

-Roy

• Roy Ernest (9/8/2009)

Hey Fox, That was a low blow...:hehe:

😛 Go jeff 😛

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply