Am I the only DBA

• Really interesting that you have clear guidelines...most places i have seen contractors are not full time dbas so i gues that does not apply. In some places they are, but they can't charge for the off hour work..mostly they get time off only to compensate. The low end, middle talent contracters here rarely get to bill extra, only get their 8 hours plus comp time off, atleast that is what i have seen. In other words they are somewhat like Steve said 'salaried contractors' who get fixed wage at a certain rate. Arguing how much you do overtime is not considered a very easy thing to do for DBAs regardless of whether you contract or full time. Like on another thread it was written about the silent DBA and how much you make compensating for lack of appreciation. Very corporate-american thing and one i don't agree with at all but gotta live with it anyways. You guys get the points on that one.

• Ian Scarlett (9/17/2009)

I was one of the DBA's that supported the opening of Terminal 5 at Heathrow.

You admit to being involved in that fiasco!!!!:w00t:

HEY!!!!!!, everything I supported worked fine, not my fault about anything else. Besides I left when the dba work got outsourced to India.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• Silverfox (9/17/2009)

Ian Scarlett (9/17/2009)

I was one of the DBA's that supported the opening of Terminal 5 at Heathrow.

You admit to being involved in that fiasco!!!!:w00t:

😉

• Silverfox (9/7/2009)

Just out of curiosity, Am I the only DBA that doesnt have a laptop or a desktop and no sql books, who didnt go to university :-D, doesnt have a driving license and isnt certified ( and I am not talking about the straight jacket here, well maybe not yet) and hasnt been on any sql courses.

IF so let me know, so I know I am not suffering on my own 😀

laptop: yes (mine - never had a company one; but back in the late 80s I had a company luggable).

desktop: currently no (but currently I'm not working - when working I usually had a desktop from about 1986 onwards, but never before that).

sql books a few (all 20 years old or more)

university yes (degrees in maths and mathematical logic; no CS or IT)

driving license yes

certified no (not in SQL or DB anyway; but I'm a registered European Engineer, a Chartered Engineer, a Chartered Mathematician, and a Chartered IT Practitioner, whatever all that means)

sql courses no (but have been on rather a lot of brief CS postgrad courses, not db related)

I guess I'm the one who's suffering, having to pay fees to FEANI, BCS, IEE and IMA just to maintain those meaningless professional qualifications, find shelf space for those outdated SQL books (mostly about Oracle) that I haven't looked at in decades, use up my valuable time in learning the current state of the art on whatever bit if CS it is this time, and work (when I do) in a world which includes network engineers who can't tell a bit from a signal element, DBAs who think that everything should be in 5NF, other DBAs who think that anything in 1NF needs a bit of denormalisation to get it into reasonable shape, managers who think that "efficient" and "shoddy" are synonyms, project and program planners who don't understand PERT and wouldn't recognise a GANTT chart if they saw one, and customer support engineers who know less about the product that the average person who calls them. Yes, I know you the fourth problem too but without the first three to exacerbate things you should easily put up with the fourth.

Tom

Viewing 4 posts - 61 through 63 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply