Am I the only DBA

• Laptop / Desktop - Yes. Laptop supplied by work is usually always a fight with the employers.

Books - Yes. I buy my own.

Certification - Not since SQL2000. That was also the time the men came with that white jacket.

License - I know where you can get one;-). Used to have both the international and state supplied DL.

If you really want to help us understand the plight, talk about PASS or Connections. Looks like I will miss out on both again this year:unsure::crying:

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Am I the only one who fears that this thread is bound to turn into "The Thread 2"?

Anyhow, you got my answers already further up. Had to use second login (jkerner) coz I freaking couldn't remember the primary one. That's what happens if you DON';T write down passwords and let the browser remember you, but then log in from another box 😀

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• CirquedeSQLeil (9/8/2009)

Laptop / Desktop - Yes. Laptop supplied by work is usually always a fight with the employers.

Certification - Not since SQL2000. That was also the time the men came with that white jacket.

License - I know where you can get one;-). Used to have both the international and state supplied DL.

If you really want to help us understand the plight, talk about PASS or Connections. Looks like I will miss out on both again this year:unsure::crying:

Oh WOW, you actually go to those events, never been to anything like that, not even a local sql server group :crying:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• Silverfox (9/7/2009)

Just out of curiosity, Am I the only DBA that doesnt have a laptop or a desktop and no sql books, who didnt go to university :-D, doesnt have a driving license and isnt certified ( and I am not talking about the straight jacket here, well maybe not yet) and hasnt been on any sql courses.

IF so let me know, so I know I am not suffering on my own 😀

I have a desktop computer, but no laptop. (Can't stand laptop keyboards, or I probably would have one.)

I bought an SQL book about a week before I upgraded the databases from Access to SQL.

I went to a university for about 3 weeks. Weeks, not years, weeks.

I do have a driver's license, and have had them in several states.

I'm not certified, but am certainly certifiable. 🙂

I haven't taken an SQL courses.

So there are some positive matches there, but your question had "and", not "or", so it returns false in this case.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Silverfox (9/8/2009)

CirquedeSQLeil (9/8/2009)

Laptop / Desktop - Yes. Laptop supplied by work is usually always a fight with the employers.

Oh WOW, you actually go to those events, never been to anything like that, not even a local sql server group :crying:

Might be a bit tough to make it to a Users Group with no license, thus requiring the wife to drive you there so you can geek out some more. Maybe she could get her nails and hair done in the meantime though?

It is worthwhile to go to user groups (I dare so more than the courses or books). You can learn something, laugh a little and network a lot.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Silverfox (9/8/2009)

Do you know that your surname also spells Demon, not trying to say anything here. but your comment gives me cause for worry...

Damn... I've been found out... let that be a lesson to all who think that simple obfuscation by the simple rearrangment of the letters is not sufficient for encryption. 😛 ... and many people not only share your sentiment, but your concern, as well. 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (9/8/2009)

Silverfox (9/8/2009)

Do you know that your surname also spells Demon, not trying to say anything here. but your comment gives me cause for worry...

Damn... I've been found out... let that be a lesson to all who think that simple obfuscation by the simple rearrangment of the letters is not sufficient for encryption. 😛 ... and many people not only share your sentiment, but your concern, as well. 😀

Following the same transposition pattern, we should start calling you Demon Efjf? Or would it Efferjy?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Silverfox (9/8/2009)

Roy Ernest (9/8/2009)

Hey Fox, That was a low blow...:hehe:

😛 Go jeff 😛

It's ok... you can stand up now. 😉

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (9/8/2009)

Silverfox (9/8/2009)

Roy Ernest (9/8/2009)

Hey Fox, That was a low blow...:hehe:

😛 Go jeff 😛

It's ok... you can stand up now. 😉

Do I have to, I was very comfy lying on my bed....:-P

Get back to work Jeff, even the most Moden people have to work sometimes 😀

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]

• Perhaps you should also 😉

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (9/9/2009)

Perhaps you should also 😉

I am always working :hehe:

• Shall we know the real name of such a hard working individual that spends time rearranging people's last names to be offensive words? I did initially try to make light of it but you kept hammering at the smart comments and you further degraded it with your very insulting "Go Jeff" comment considering the context of the comment you included. And, no, my suggestion about standing up now had nothing to do with the context of the quote I preserved in my post. It was a poor choice of words on my part and the real meaning has apparently been lost.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (9/9/2009)

Shall we know the real name of such a hard working individual that spends time rearranging people's last names to be offensive words? I did initially try to make light of it but you kept hammering at the smart comments and you further degraded it with your very insulting "Go Jeff" comment considering the context of the comment you included. And, no, my suggestion about standing up now had nothing to do with the context of the quote I preserved in my post. It was a poor choice of words on my part and the real meaning has apparently been lost.

If you were offended by my comments, then I apologise. My real name is on the forums for anyone who takes the time to look. silverfox is a tag i have had for a long time, way before i was even on these forums. and i have not used any offensive words in any of my posts. if you felt that my comments were out of order then you could have pm'd me and I would have understood. In future I will keep my distance from you as we don't seem to get on.

• Laptop - Yes, one personal and one from employer.

Desktop - No, dont need those any more

SQL Books - Enough to open a store

University - Yes but not related to what I do

Drivers License - Yes but dont mind being car free if the place has decent public transportation

Certified - Trying to

Attended a course - Many

Some of these things I feel are just professional requirements, the certification for instance. I have been told repeatedly that I could have skipped technical interviews if I had one atleast multiple technical interviews. Have not met one person who enjoyed that and I beleive it is worth the trouble - aside from company requirements for certificaiton.

Am trying to find time for it though.

If you dont read SQL books or attend worthwhile courses how on earth do you keep up?

And the stories on employer thinks you are attractive to recruiters because you attend courses...wow..really I would not work for anyone like that, and am genuinely sorry that some folks have to.

• dma (9/11/2009)

And the stories on employer thinks you are attractive to recruiters because you attend courses...wow..really I would not work for anyone like that, and am genuinely sorry that some folks have to.

I'm trying to get a new job, but it looks like having one is a privilege these days.

I'm the first one to be "genuinely sorry"

-- Gianluca Sartori

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply