That's how many database servers MySpace reportedly has according to this look at their infrastructure. Actually I think this has the makings of a great book if they could publish it. Rapid technology growth in a relatively short time, and the way that the most popular site on the Internet (right now) is supported.

That's a lot of servers, especially when they seem to be all focused on one application. Granted it's a large application with many different parts and features, but still it's one site. So it got me thinking...

How many database servers do you support?

It's interesting to see the numbers. I spent many years learning SQL Server and supporting 2 servers, one production and one test. As I moved on to new jobs, I moved to 12, then back to 4, then on to JD Edwards where we had nearly 100 SQL Servers with hundreds of databases.

It's not necessarily a measure of your database skills, but it's always a fun bragging rights number to show off.

As for me, I've got 3 servers now. Two production and one test, though I'm hoping to get down to one production server here soon 🙂

Steve Jones

• We have 15, all running SQL Server.  1 crash&burn, 2 development, 1 demo, the rest production.

Greg

Greg

• Six years ago we had 7 with 20 or so databases.  Today.  more like 300 production servers with a couple thousand databases, and an untold number of dev servers/databases (including any number of virtual ones)

That's growth!

C'Anne (Ches) Weldishofer

Clear Channel

• SQL Server: 3 production; 2 development.

DB2: 1 AS400 DB2; 1 Windows DB2 development box.

On another point, I'm not sure a book on MySpace would be that enlightening, given that a power failure actually hauled them right to their knees for a significant period of time. That shows something lacking in their architecture.

• Nearly 15 production's Sql Servers. Most of them are Sql2k but we are holding sql6k yet. It's unbelievable.

And four for development.

Two clusters. One running 32-bit using sql2k and the other 64-bit using Sql25k.

But, in my entire organization there are neary 1020 Sql Servers (1005 are MSDE, one per branch)

Regards,

• My current project has just changed from 3 hardware servers.  The old system had one each for SQL 2000, Web, and Backend Apps. 

The new server has two dual core processors and 16 GB of ram.  That server runs 5 virtual servers.  SQL 2000, Old Web, New Web, Backend Apps, and SAS servers.

Nothing special about the number of servers for this web app, but it amazes me that one chunk of hardware can replace 3 servers less than 3 years old.  They had dual processors and 4 GB of ram each, but the new system is much faster! 

• We've got a few, but not a lot. 9 production servers, 2 staging servers, 3 qa servers, a training server, 3 testing servers (different than qa), and something like 6 development servers (give or take). I honestly couldn't tell you how many databases that supports, several hundred at a guess.

Of course, now, we're ording new servers to suppor the migration to 2005, so we'll be approximately doubling up on Dev, QA & Testing for a while, then the same on Production.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• I am maintaining 2 production 1 dev for a government organization of less than 100.

• 8 Servers/ 5 are production with 11 instances not counting development VM's.  About to add 1 more server and 3 more instances for 2005 conversions.  Also support 6 instances of Reporting Services on other WFE servers.

And we are only the internal support group within our company, others support hundreds of servers for our clients.

• SQL Server:  We have 21 Production SQL2000, and still one is SQL 7.. don't ask !  Two are active passive clusters that serve our 1,500 stores... soon we will be servicing ALL 7,000 stores!... There are probably 90 db's in all.. most are very small, most are mid sized and the biggest is 65 gig but is now growing 1 gig a week.

Oracle: We have 10 servers that run on Windows, AIX and linux... All 9i one is RAC. Two of the dbs are about 1 terrabyte, the third will be two terrabytes by end of 2007.

DB2: Mainframe DB2 V7 hosts all Peoplesoft and legacy apps. 700 gig

DB2: AIX  1.5 terrabyte Data Warehouse with all of our store polling info.

5 DBA's.

• We support 3 database servers - 2 production, 1 for testing - all running SQLS 2000.

• We've got round 30 SQL Servers, ranging from single processor Development servers right through to clustered Itanium 2 boxes in production.

As for the article, I'd love to get a look at how they do what they're doing,

It'd be cool and anyone that disagree's probably shouldnt be here

Lol

• Three stand-alone SQL 2000 servers, two of which are Dev servers.

Four two-node SQL 2000 clusters, two of which are a pre-production/UAT area.

-- J.T.

"I may not always know what I'm talking about, and you may not either."

• I maintain 25 SQL Servers (1 dev, 2 test, and 23 prod).  The production servers house 89 databases, the lagest of which hovers around 30GB.  I am the sole DBA and also the lead (er...only) developer.  Ain't bein nop-profit grand?

Saving the world one ticket at a time.

Dowdian

• Let's see...

Three operational database servers, one dedicated mail and intranet server, one domain controller, one application server/ backup domain, one virtual test server and a partridge in a pear tree...

And then there are a few desktops running SQL2000 or SQL2k5, either for testing and development or to spread the Reporting Services load from the servers...

-----------------

C8H10N4O2

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply