Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 14,551 through 14,565 (of 39,919 total)

  • RE: default thread subscription

    Gus is correct. It's a toggle, left to the last thing you had in the drop down when you posted.

  • RE: about the site itself

    I should add that the site has self-policed itself fairly well and has a fairly low noise ratio. That has made it not as much of a priority for worrying...

  • RE: about the site itself

    The points were never intended to be a reputation system. Initially we used them as a contest/game system, and your points represent your contributions in the forums, and answers in...

  • RE: Cloud Safety

    IceDread (1/12/2012)


    The the agreement is subject to change is cause for great worry since leaving a cloud is no simple matter.

    Is it? Leaving SQL Azure is a backup from the...

  • RE: Are the posted questions getting worse?

    GSquared (1/12/2012)


    At least half the time I answer, I didn't have the answer when I started. I read the question, go "I wonder how you'd do that", and start...

  • RE: Coding More Carefully

    GSquared (1/12/2012)


    ...

    Yeah, it's one of those "yes but no" kind of things. I at least partially disagree with myself here.

    As I get older, this is an hourly occurrence with...

  • RE: RAID recomendations

    Perry Whittle (1/12/2012)


    @steve-2 Jones that is, unfortunately a disadvantage of the RAID5. Array rebuild times for R5 and R10 are also a consideration, with lower rebuild times R10 is...

  • RE: Cloud Safety

    The agreement you must sign to use the cloud from a cloud provider is reserving itself for potential changes in the agreements. Or at least so I've read on some...

  • RE: Coding More Carefully

    I agree, but don't agree with you. It's not necessarily about avoiding a tool that can help, but using the tool appropriately. It's potentially a problem with many of today's...

  • RE: Are the posted questions getting worse?

    Some people can't be helped, or don't want to. The best thing in that thread, and in others, is to post one answer, then drop it. Don't chime in to...

  • RE: Cloud Safety

    James Stover (1/11/2012)


    Can I do it as well or better?

    Well put, although I don't know if we are training all cloud providers better than the average sysadmin. I'd...

  • RE: RAID recomendations

    Raid 5 has performed great for me in many applications. Many apps where we weren't pushing the envelope on IOPS, and we had much of the needed data in RAM.

    The...

  • RE: Cloud Safety

    That's a good list, and whether they can actually answer all of them is debatable, but the way they answer will say something. If they look at #20 and go...

  • RE: RAID recomendations

    I think there's a limit whereby you are saturating channels, and it would depend on your workload. I think you want to minimize head movement if you have a busy...

  • RE: Censoring the Internet

    Ah, so you can assign our a portion of your copyright. The authors retain copyright for their work published here, but they grant us perpetual publication (distribution) rights on this...

Viewing 15 posts - 14,551 through 14,565 (of 39,919 total)