About when will SQL Server 2012 be released?

• I'm out of the loop on this, so please forgive me for asking what must be a question frequently asked. Given it's name, I'm sure the SQL Server 2012 will RTM this year (2012), but does anyone have any better idea than that? At least, let's say what quarter of the year it will RTM if you can't be more specific than that.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• First half this year is the only thing that MS has stated publicly.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Both SQL Server Connections (Mar 26-29) in Las Vegas, and SQL Bits X (Mar 29-31) in London are listed as official "launch" events, so I would assume it is planned for around that time.

However Microsoft has only said the first half of the year, as Gail noted.

• I may be splitting hairs but , Sqlbits is build as a technical launch event. I cant see similar wording on the dev connections site tho...

Clear Sky SQL
    My Blog[/url]

• Thank you, Gail and Steve.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• How can I get notified when it's available to general public for try before launch?

• Dhruvesh Shah (1/19/2012)

How can I get notified when it's available to general public for try before launch?

Try this: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=28145.

• Dave Ballantyne (1/18/2012)

I may be splitting hairs but , Sqlbits is build as a technical launch event. I cant see similar wording on the dev connections site tho...

Please note that "launch" (or release) are three events - certification of the final release candidate, release to manufacturing, and general availability.

It still might be changed, but I expect that in Las Vegas it will be announced that by then-approved RC3 is OK for RTM, with GA in early July, to coincide with the July release of MSDN.

• You might want to register in the online launch event to know more..

Microsoft would be launching SQL Server 2012 on March 7th in an online event, more information can be found by visiting the following link.. http://www.sqlserverlaunch.com/WW/Agenda

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.comLearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• Sorry to jump on the OP's post but if SQL2012 will be released in the first half of the year when do the MS Certifications for SQL2012 begin.

I'm Currently studying for 2008 and after reading this post I'm thinking should I start and probably have 2 out of the 6 exams completed (MCTS / MCITP) or just wait for 2012 to come out and get these as they are the lastest.

Thoughts?

• Tava (1/30/2012)

Sorry to jump on the OP's post but if SQL2012 will be released in the first half of the year when do the MS Certifications for SQL2012 begin.

I'm Currently studying for 2008 and after reading this post I'm thinking should I start and probably have 2 out of the 6 exams completed (MCTS / MCITP) or just wait for 2012 to come out and get these as they are the lastest.

Thoughts?

I do not know when the new certifications will begin, but it wouldn't hurt to have 2008 certs. 2008(R2) will probably be still used by a lot of compagnies for the next couple of years.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• I thought I heard the 2012 certs would be released this year, but I'm not sure.

However Koen has a good point. If SQL Server 2012 is released in April (guess), then most companies won't upgrade for a year. They'll test, plan, budget. A few will go early, and some won't bother, especially with the license changes.

If you are working on 2008 certs, no reason to stop. Companies will use this for years.

• Thanks guys, will keep on the 2008 Certifications then. hopefully 2012 certs won't come out till i finish 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply