Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 9,901 through 9,915 (of 39,936 total)

  • RE: Unable to add more than around 4000 characters to a job step

    It would be nice if failures in a trigger referred to a tran error in a trigger. But what if a trigger calls a sproc and there's a failure there?...

  • RE: SQL server reinstall - Password question

    For the named instances, you should be able to uninstall any of them from setup. You could just delete the binaries and registry stuff, but that's a pain to dig...

  • RE: SQLServerCentral Runs sp_Blitz - The Future

    Don't answer here, but feel free to send me a note (sjones at s__s____c____.com)

    How would you define data monitor? What does it do? How granular and configurable? I think you're...

  • RE: Is It Time to Upgrade?

    Wayne West (4/30/2015)


    I'm curious: how often does Oracle come out with a new major version, or IBM with DB2?

    They do it differently. When I used to manage all of these,...

  • RE: Is It Time to Upgrade?

    Iwas Bornready (4/30/2015)


    When I ask our DBA about upgrading he just asks why. He says it is too expensive unless there is a compelling reason. We are on 2008 R2...

  • RE: Is It Time to Upgrade?

    Ed Wagner (4/30/2015)


    Great timing for this article. I'm planning the installation of a new server and it'll be 2012, not 2014. As much as I'd like to move...

  • RE: Is It Time to Upgrade?

    lshanahan (4/30/2015)


    In the comments of the SQL Server Blog article someone mentioned the cost issue, to which the team quickly responded by pointing to a study by Forrester Consulting (commissioned...

  • RE: Is It Time to Upgrade?

    Xavon (4/30/2015)


    An interesting point on this; PCI PADSS (credit card industry rules) require that the system be under support. So if your 2005 database holds credit card information, even...

  • RE: SQLServerCentral Runs sp_Blitz - The Future

    Brent Ozar (4/30/2015)


    To elaborate a little more about the licensing - here's some of the challenges we've faced in the past.

    We found a consulting company that was modifying sp_Blitz®, then...

  • RE: Is It Time to Upgrade?

    Gary Harding (4/30/2015)


    Chances are that if you've been secure this long, you'll still be secure for a few more years.

    Hmm. As John C. Dvorak might once have said, can...

  • RE: SQLServerCentral Runs sp_Blitz - The Future

    robert.sterbal 56890 (4/30/2015)


    I appreciate someone pointing out licensing challenges with this script.

    Is there a better forum for asking questions about what metrics you can pull back with sql monitor?

    I'd particularly...

  • RE: Can't restore or attach database (it's not corrupt)

    LOL, I'm sorry and I can certainly appreciate the frustration, Recurs1on. Glad you figured it out and that's a good one to keep in the back of my mind.

    Can...

  • RE: Is It Time to Upgrade?

    P Jones (4/30/2015)


    As someone who attended launch events for SQL 2005 I can only say that ten years is too short a life for a product from a business perspective....

  • RE: SQLServerCentral Runs sp_Blitz - The Future

    sqlcopilot (4/30/2015)


    What about license restrictions?

    I heard Brent speak about this and my understanding was that you are not allowed to store the result of sp_Blitz or save the script on...

  • RE: Database design and performance

    Read Grant's book, that certainly will help.

    I know Grant doesn't like the DTA, but I do think it at least gives you some ideas. Do not implement lots of its...

Viewing 15 posts - 9,901 through 9,915 (of 39,936 total)