Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 15,556 through 15,570 (of 39,921 total)

  • RE: Time for a ROWID?

    Eric M Russell (7/27/2011)


    The row id would have to be something both static and transferrable to the replicated instance, so it couldn't be a matter of simply exposing the the...

  • RE: Time for a ROWID?

    sturner (7/27/2011)


    Might be a nice option when creating a table but I would not like it to be there whether it was needed/wanted or not.

    Personally, I don't see why you...

  • RE: Are the posted questions getting worse?

    I don't control the announcement. I assume it will be a business day or two afterward.

  • RE: Talking baseball

    Of all the baseball games I've seen, there aren't a ton of extremely sensitive calls. Balls/strikes are just hard. W/O sensors on the ball, radar, and sensors on the players...

  • RE: Time for a ROWID?

    mtillman-921105 (7/27/2011)


    I like the way you think Steve, but you are much more informed than I am.

    Would a ROWID save us from those dastardly heaps? So a heap would...

  • RE: Talking baseball

    calvo (7/27/2011)


    Oh man, 19 innings and the braves win on a blown (?) call.

    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110727&content_id=22363652&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

    It's REAL close, what do you guys think?

    Not close. Tagged, even an "ole", the runner doesn't hit...

  • RE: Time for a ROWID?

    Eric M Russell (7/27/2011)


    I can see how the physical row id would be useful for debugging or performance tuning purposes, like perhaps identifying which table or table partition a specific...

  • RE: Are the posted questions getting worse?

    Roy Ernest (7/27/2011)


    Change of topic, When will we know who won the Exceptional DBA of the Year Award? I just want to know if the Santa will be there this...

  • RE: Time for a ROWID?

    Ewald Cress (7/27/2011)


    Eric M Russell (7/27/2011)


    In addition to Microsoft retrofitting the storage engine itself, MSDN and the entire SQL Server community would have to retrofit all of our DMV and...

  • RE: Time for a ROWID?

    bitbucket-25253 (7/27/2011)


    Steve is this what you are thinking of? (From Paul Randal's blog)

    http://www.sqlskills.com/blogs/paul/post/SQL-Server-2008-New-(undocumented)-physical-row-locator-function.aspx

    Perhaps, if it's in all structures.

  • RE: Time for a ROWID?

    krowley (7/27/2011)


    Forgive a relative newbie to SQL internals but why can't the page size be variable per database or even per table? This would give the best of all worlds...

  • RE: Time for a ROWID?

    Eric M Russell (7/27/2011)


    It seems to me that there are performance advantages to having a smaller more granular page size, at least when querying non-clustered rows. If just one row...

  • RE: Time for a ROWID?

    The Dixie Flatline (7/27/2011)


    Steve, maybe it's because I haven't had enough caffeine this morning, but I have a question: How does the ROWID column that you...

  • RE: NewSQL Can Save the World

    cengland0 (7/26/2011)


    Thanks but that link does not appear to compare the database speeds. Sure it has a lot of computer configurations listed and you can click on a specific...

  • RE: Talking baseball

    the Rockies have tanked, and are 9 games behind the central leading Pirates.

    Going to see CIN-COL in Aug, not that it matters to either team.

Viewing 15 posts - 15,556 through 15,570 (of 39,921 total)