Viewing 15 posts - 15,211 through 15,225 (of 39,921 total)
There is a shared lock (S) on the data, but that prevents exclusive locks being placed on the page/row/table for changes. It doesn't impact read performance.
As you noted the data...
September 14, 2011 at 10:09 am
Ugh. Tim Mitchell had something similar that he did in a presentation to skip headers when using SSIS, but you could easily redirect the headers to another table, as Sean...
September 14, 2011 at 10:07 am
I don't think there is a way to do this. You could make a SQLCMD batch file and use that.
September 14, 2011 at 10:05 am
I thought that you could specify the default db location in setup and all databases went there, including system ones.
September 14, 2011 at 10:04 am
If you have systems center, or an equivalent, or want to do WMI scripting, you can probably initiate scans across your various Windows hosts to get a list of all...
September 14, 2011 at 9:45 am
I think learning those obscure items, and understanding those can make life richer and more interesting. I'm surprised sometimes how things from other subjects impact the way I look at...
September 14, 2011 at 9:44 am
There are a few ways to handle this.
The easy way is to use SQLCMD and a little scripting to connect to each database in turn and run a script.
One is...
September 14, 2011 at 9:43 am
Congratulations to Jeff. He is an excellent choice as the recipient of this award.
September 14, 2011 at 9:37 am
They need at least one copy of master, model, msdb to start. It might give errors with the various databases, but once it starts, you can then do a restore...
September 14, 2011 at 9:06 am
jay holovacs (9/14/2011)
Lempster (9/14/2011)
September 14, 2011 at 9:04 am
This problem with the question is entirely my fault, not Ron's. I copied over the code, making a mistake after testing it when I was correcting formatting. The second set...
September 14, 2011 at 8:44 am
Congrats, Jeff! I'll owe you a beer at PASS.
September 14, 2011 at 8:33 am
SQL Kiwi (9/13/2011)
I don't disagree at all; though that so many professional DBAs don't 'get' partitioning (a new feature in 2005!) is a bit depressing. Luckily, it seems 'commodity' DBAs...
September 14, 2011 at 8:31 am
The app definitely needs to be in the cloud, or it needs to be mindful of bandwidth.
Regarding combining data sets. I can think of a few ways to do this....
September 14, 2011 at 8:27 am
GSquared (9/14/2011)
September 14, 2011 at 8:23 am
Viewing 15 posts - 15,211 through 15,225 (of 39,921 total)