Extracting SELECT statement from queries.

• Hi All,

I have a need to replace, in various views, the SELECT statement that produces the results (SELECT --> SELECT TOP 10). These queries could be in any of the following formats:

--1) single select
    SELECT *
    FROM test

--2) CTE with single select
    WITH test
    AS (SELECT 1 a),
    test2
    AS (SELECT 2 b)
    SELECT *
    FROM test

--3) Multiple selects with union
    SELECT *
    FROM test
    UNION ALL
    SELECT *
    FROM test2

--4) Multiple selects with union all and with outer select
    SELECT *
    FROM (
    SELECT *
    FROM test
    UNION ALL
    SELECT *
    FROM test2
    ) t

--5) CTE with multiple selects (with union all)
    WITH test
    AS (SELECT 1 a),
    test2
    AS (SELECT 2 b)
    SELECT *
    FROM test
    UNION ALL
    SELECT *
    FROM test2

In cases, like #s 1 and 4, I can try to find the first occurrence of a SELECT (that's not a comment). In some other cases, like #2, I can try to find the last occurrence of a SELECT (that's not a comment). However, in cases like #s 3 and 5, I'm having to contend with UNION ALLs, and would want ALL of the SELECTs involved in the UNION ALL to be replaced with SELECT TOP 10.

I realize this is a little complicated, but I don't think it's impossible. I'm trying to talk it through in English to see how I might approach this to accommodate all of these cases, but I could use some help if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Mike Scalise, PMP
    https://www.michaelscalise.com

• I presume you've got a lot of this to do & you want to build an automated way of doing it.

The way I've approached tasks like this in the past is something like this:

1. Use source control along with local versions of your database(s) and database DDL scripts.
    2. Create a utility which performs the replaces on the .sql script files. I would do this in C#, but any sort of script which can modify the .sql files and search using Regular Expressions should be sufficient.
    3. Run the update on the .sql files
    4. Spot check your .sql files to make sure that the update is performing as required. If not, use your VCS to discard all the updates and then modify your update routine accordingly.
    5. When your spot checks are looking good, run a build in SSDT, using the modified .sql files, to see whether your update worked. If it works, try deploying to your local DB to see whether it works as intended.
    6. Make the changes incrementally. It should be a quick process to update / check / discard the files, as no database updates are required until the changes are looking good.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin wrote:

I presume you've got a lot of this to do & you want to build an automated way of doing it.

Correct. I have quite a few.

Phil Parkin wrote:

I would do this in C#, but any sort of script which can modify the .sql files and search using Regular Expressions should be sufficient.

I am actually looking to do this in T-SQL, if possible. I know, it would be much easier with a robust language like C# that support regex, but I am trying to keep it all in T-SQL.

I'm just curious--given these restrictions, any other thoughts?

Mike

Mike Scalise, PMP
    https://www.michaelscalise.com

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply