Viewing 15 posts - 8,536 through 8,550 (of 59,098 total)
Fair points. I've updated the function to return a "0, No value" record if a NULL value is passed to the function. An empty string within the function returns...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
October 22, 2019 at 3:01 pm
The only thing I use checksums and hashes for is a quick check to prove things are not the same. If the checksum or hash indicates they are, then further...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
October 22, 2019 at 2:45 pm
I know that a lot of people don't have the following kinds of problems with SSIS but I see them happen enough where I'm really happy that I've mostly divorced...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
October 21, 2019 at 11:40 pm
Welcome aboard.
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
October 21, 2019 at 1:12 pm
The better option would be to have your database object definitions in your code store, so you can grab them and run them in the new server.
+1 million to...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
October 21, 2019 at 11:59 am
The most efficient method for reducing any number of spaces up to 8000 that I've ever seen is as follows...
SELECT REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(
...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
October 21, 2019 at 1:36 am
This is a pretty common "fix" for this problem but, Microsoft makes no guarantees that such a thing will actually work forever. Knowing how most managed code would work to...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
October 20, 2019 at 4:30 pm
To be clear, I've not worked with SSIS beyond the tiny little maintenance plans that I used to make many years ago and so most of my "evidence" is anecdotal...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
October 20, 2019 at 4:16 pm
Codd never says anything about the physical implementation. This abstraction makes soooo many different implementations. 🙂
That's what I was getting at. You said that "What he had in mind...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
October 17, 2019 at 7:48 pm
No much activity on the server and CPU usage is not dropping to normal CPU Usage. Would restarting the server would be the only option? However, one of the...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
October 17, 2019 at 6:33 pm
On the subject of index maintenance...
I went for 2.5 years with virtually no index maintenance on my production box. With that I can tell you that it IS more important...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
October 17, 2019 at 6:31 pm
Thanks, Joe. As you've just shown, while Dr. Codd does express that it should be similar to an index, it does NOT, however, say anything explicit about it intending to...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
October 17, 2019 at 5:03 pm
Are you doing index maintenance on this database? And, if you are, are you making the mistake of following the supposed "Best Practice" recommendation of "REORGANIZE between 10% (or 5%)...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
October 16, 2019 at 11:49 pm
Dr. Codd defined a surrogate key as being generated by the database engine and never exposed to the users. What he had in mind would be more like a...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
October 16, 2019 at 11:35 pm
When you're doing an "Upsert". That is, you're checking to see if rows already exist or not to know whether you have to do an INSERT or an UPDATE.
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
October 15, 2019 at 9:05 pm
Viewing 15 posts - 8,536 through 8,550 (of 59,098 total)