Viewing 15 posts - 38,866 through 38,880 (of 59,098 total)
I agree with Paul on this...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
April 18, 2010 at 9:50 pm
Import it into your staging table as character based information and convert it when you transfer it to the final table.
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
April 18, 2010 at 9:47 pm
Actually, for anything bigger than 11K rows, I just use a CROSS JOIN on my trusty ol' Tally table because I KNOW how many rows that has. 😀
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
April 18, 2010 at 9:35 pm
As a glimmer of hope for the folks still running SQL Server 2000, the following doesn't cause any unnecessary log growth, either...
DECLARE @max-2 INT
SET @max-2 =...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
April 18, 2010 at 8:43 pm
With a bit of egg on my face (a whole omelette, actually), it would appear that IDENTITY is, in fact, the culprit and not the 3 way CROSS JOINs. ...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
April 18, 2010 at 7:14 pm
CirquedeSQLeil (4/18/2010)
Stefan_G (4/18/2010)
I used a triple cross join to create the results. I didn't post that query back when I did my testing. My recovery model was simple.
Well, on my...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
April 18, 2010 at 6:48 pm
BWAA-HAAA.... I forgot to make room. 😛
Msg 9002, Level 17, State 4, Line 3
The transaction log for database 'TestLogGrowth' is full. To find out why space in the log cannot...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
April 18, 2010 at 5:43 pm
Stefan_G (4/18/2010)
What is your recovery model ?
Right now, I'm testing with the FULL recovery model. I'll follow that up with the SIMPLE model but most folks don't run SIMPLE...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
April 18, 2010 at 4:14 pm
First test is still running on my dedicated but old desktop after 52 minutes. Log file has grown to 34.5 gig and is still growing. Like I said,...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
April 18, 2010 at 3:43 pm
sam-610757 (4/16/2010)
I chewed the...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
April 18, 2010 at 3:41 pm
stevefromOZ (4/18/2010)
Off topic -Hey Jeff, head to Australia where they're contemplating $20 (!!!) a packet, am sure this could influence your behaviour 😉
Heh... it sure would. I'd build...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
April 18, 2010 at 3:30 pm
Stefan_G (4/18/2010)
Jeff Moden (4/18/2010)
The only thing I did was a SELECT/INTO using a triple cross join to create a Billion row table with just one column in it... "N".
And did...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
April 18, 2010 at 3:22 pm
Stefan_G (4/18/2010)
Try the query yourself if you dont...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
April 18, 2010 at 2:04 pm
I know this is a really old post but did you ever get an answer for this?
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
April 17, 2010 at 9:32 pm
As a side bar, if you use Master.sys.All_Columns instead of the "local" copy of sys.columns, then you can get 16 million rows out of a single Cross-Join with a bit...
--Jeff Moden
Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.
April 17, 2010 at 4:44 pm
Viewing 15 posts - 38,866 through 38,880 (of 59,098 total)