dateDiff question

• OK, I've been looking online and reading many articles on how to exclude weekends, however, most of the articles are assuming that your start date or end date begin or end on a weekend. That won't work for me, so is there a way to exclude weekends between a start date and an end date?

if start date begins on a Monday and the end date is Thursday of the following week, I want to return 7 for the days between them and not 9 days between them which includes sat and sun.

I only want the weekdays including in my calc.

I'm using this and it works but now I need to exclude weekend days.

select datediff("d", OpenDate, ClosedDate) as DayDifference

from Sales

• There are several ways to do it. One would be to join to a calendar table that would include a column where weekdays can be identified.

An example of a calendar table can be found in the Tally table article referenced in my signature.

Such a table has many more advantages: e.g. you could exclude holidays, build your own fiscal year a.s.o.

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• i have this saved in my snippets to get the next business day:

this assumes you have a Calendar table with some specific columns, since business days are also dependant on Holidays as well.

select

NextBusinessDay = min(a.MyDate)

from

MyDateTable a

where

a.MyDate > @MyStartDate and

a.MyDayOfWeek not in ('Saturday','Sunday') and

a.MyHolidayIndicator <> 1

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• how would I do a "calendar" table?

• here is a link to one that i built after a few posts on the subject here on SSC; it's got all the code to insert all the known holidays I could think of:

A Tally Calendar Solution

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• ok so i now have my date table with all of the date from 1/31/2005 to 12/31/2015, so now, how can I determine if a date between 4/1/2010 and 4/15/2010 is a weekend not to count in my datediff call of my open and closed dates?

my query actually looks like this

select datediff("d", openDate, closedDate") - tbl1.daysToComplete as DayDifference

from tblSale inner join tbl1 on tblSales.task = tbl1.Task

where task like '%New%' and tblSale.qtr = 3 and tbl1.Year = 2010

so now how can I throw my date table in the mix and make sure that the days between openDate and ClosedDate are not a saturday or sunday and I would get back 9 days (days between 4/11 - 4/15)

• without the two tables (tblSale and tbl1 ) and some sample data, i can only make a guess that is syntactically correct;

my assumption in my example is that the Closeddate should be 10 BUSINESS days more than the StartDate;

select

datediff("d", openDate, closedDate) - tbl1.daysToComplete as DayDifference

from tblSale

inner join tbl1 on tblSales.task = tbl1.Task

where task like '%New%'

and tblSale.qtr = 3

and tbl1.Year = 2010

and closedDate NOT in --not in, because if it IS in, it is correct?

(

select

NextBusinessDay = min(a.TheDate)

from

TallyCalendar a

where a.TheDate > tblSale.openDate + 10 --two weeks of working days?

and a.DayOfWeek not in ('Saturday','Sunday')

and a.IsWorkHoliday <> 1

)

Lowell

• SQL_NuB (4/14/2010)

how would I do a "calendar" table?

Date Table Function F_TABLE_DATE

http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=61519

Function F_TABLE_DATE is a multistatement table-valued function that returns a table containing a variety of attributes of all dates from @FIRST_DATE through @LAST_DATE.

• I am writing an article on this. Hope, it will very useful to you.

drop table holiday

CREATE TABLE holiday (date DATETIME ,HolidayDetails VARCHAR(100))

INSERT INTO holiday VALUES('1/1/2010','New Year')

INSERT INTO holiday VALUES('1/15/2010','Pongal Holiday')

select * from holiday

DROP TABLE SAMPLE_TABLE

CREATE TABLE SAMPLE_TABLE (ID INT,date DATETIME ,date1 DATETIME,[NAME] VARCHAR(100))

INSERT INTO SAMPLE_TABLE VALUES(1,'12/30/2009','11/30/2010','VENKAT')

INSERT INTO SAMPLE_TABLE VALUES(2,'1/10/2010','1/20/2010','SUBA')

INSERT INTO SAMPLE_TABLE VALUES(3,'1/19/2009','1/20/2010', 'KRISHIV')

INSERT INTO SAMPLE_TABLE VALUES(4,'1/25/2009', '1/20/2010', 'ARUN')

SELECT * FROM SAMPLE_TABLE

SELECT ID,datediff(day,date,date1) AS DATE_DIFF, NAME FROM SAMPLE_TABLE

DECLARE @ID INT, @DATE DATETIME,@DATE1 DATETIME,@NAME VARCHAR(100)

DECLARE @CNT INT

CREATE TABLE #TEMP (ID INT,DATE_DIFF INT,NAME VARCHAR(100))

DECLARE CUR CURSOR FOR

SELECT ID,DATE,DATE1,[NAME] FROM SAMPLE_TABLE

OPEN CUR

FETCH NEXT FROM CUR

INTO @ID, @DATE, @DATE1, @NAME

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

SELECT @CNT=COUNT(1) FROM holiday WHERE DATE >=@DATE AND DATE <= @DATE1

INSERT INTO #TEMP

SELECT ID,DATEDIFF(DAY,@DATE,@DATE1)-@CNT,@NAME FROM SAMPLE_TABLE WHERE ID=@ID

FETCH NEXT FROM CUR

INTO @ID, @DATE, @DATE1, @NAME

END

SELECT * FROM #TEMP

DROP TABLE #TEMP

CLOSE CUR

DEALLOCATE CUR

Thanks and Regards,
    Venkatesan Prabu, 😛
    My Blog:

http://venkattechnicalblog.blogspot.com/

• wrote:

select

datediff("d", openDate, closedDate) - tbl1.daysToComplete as DayDifference

from tblSale

inner join tbl1 on tblSales.task = tbl1.Task

where task like '%New%'

and tblSale.qtr = 3

and tbl1.Year = 2010

and closedDate NOT in --not in, because if it IS in, it is correct?

(

select

NextBusinessDay = min(a.TheDate)

from

TallyCalendar a

where a.TheDate > tblSale.openDate + 10 --two weeks of working days?

and a.IsWorkHoliday <> 1

)

[/code]

@lowell

I'm looking on the query you provide and I ran it, however, It looks like that its looking to see if the opendate is not a saturday or sunday. (I may be wrong on that assumption, correct me of I'm wrong)

however, I need to see if the days between openDate and ClosedDate are Saturday or Sunday and if so don't count them.

the data entry method does not allow an open date or close date be a weekend so that portion is completed, I just need to see if there are any weekends between the openDate and closedDate and not count those if they do exist.

• I'm a little weak on your requirement, so help me clarify it:

you have an openDate and a closedDate.

I thought the closedDate should be x business Days greater than the openDate; am i wrong? by selecting business days, you auto-skip weekends and holidays.

i was assuming you have existing data that might be incorrect; my SQL(i think) will find things that do NOT match my assumed "next business day" of +10 biz days; swapping the not in with in would show you which data matches that assumption, vs which data does not match.

so for example, if i have 04/01/2010 as my openDate, ten biz days(14 days) more than that would be 04/16/2010, because there are two weekends between them the 03-sat/04-sun and 10-sat/11-sun

select NextBusinessDay = min(a.TheDate)

from TallyCalendar a

where a.TheDate > convert(datetime,'04/01/2010') + 14

and a.IsWorkHoliday <> 1

--results:

2010-04-16 00:00:00.000

note i didn't use any calculation to look for those weekends between two dates...i simply used a start date to calculate what would be a "closedDate", based on a beginning openDate

SQL_NuB (4/15/2010)

if there is more than 6 days between the openDate and closedDate , of course there is at least part of a weekend in between them...so you need to define the min number of biz days between them, and not whether weekends exist or not.

Lowell

• I got it working, instead of where you had the 10, I put that as my column that has the defined number of days to complete and it worked fine.

thanks for your help on this, it was greatly appreciated.

• This will return the number of days between two dates excluding weekends (i.e. Sat and Sun)

It doesn't take account of holidays / other non-working days though:

-- get number of days between two dates excluding weekends (Sat, Sun)

DECLARE @openDate DATETIME

DECLARE @closedDate DATETIME

SET @openDate = '17 apr 2010' -- this is a Saturday

SET @closedDate = '30 apr 2010';

WITH dateCTE AS

(

SELECT @openDate AS theDate

UNION ALL

SELECT theDate + 1

FROM dateCTE

WHERE theDate + 1 < @closedDate

)

SELECT COUNT(theDate) AS no_of_working_days

FROM dateCTE

WHERE DATEPART(weekday,theDate) NOT IN (1,7) -- omit: 1=Sun, 7=Sat

also... depending on whether 'between' includes the starting date or not you may need to add or subtract 1 like this:

WHERE theDate + 1 < (@closedDate -1)

hope its useful 🙂

• SQL_NuB (4/14/2010)

OK, I've been looking online and reading many articles on how to exclude weekends, however, most of the articles are assuming that your start date or end date begin or end on a weekend. That won't work for me, so is there a way to exclude weekends between a start date and an end date?

if start date begins on a Monday and the end date is Thursday of the following week, I want to return 7 for the days between them and not 9 days between them which includes sat and sun.

I only want the weekdays including in my calc.

I'm using this and it works but now I need to exclude weekend days.

select datediff("d", OpenDate, ClosedDate) as DayDifference

from Sales

If you don't have holidays to worry about and don't really want to take the time to use a Calendar table, then see the following article for a relatively simple formula to take care of things...

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Advanced+Querying/calculatingworkdays/1660/

Of course, if the language on your server isn't "English", you may have to change the day of the week. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• that is setup for the start date or end date begin on a weekend, I need to find out if the day between my two dates are a saturday or sunday and not count them

so if my openDate = 4/19/2010 and my closedDate = 4/27/10, I want to see 5 business days, the 19th isn't counted, saturday and sunday aren't counted and the 27th isn't counted, so I want to see 5 business days for those two dates, My open and close date will never be a weekend due to the frontend app won't allow it, however, a weekend can be in between the open and closed dates

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply