Do entry-level cloud positions exist?

• Hello friends. I’m new here, so if this is the wrong place for my questions, please advise where I should post. Thanks!

How did you (reader) get your first cloud role?

Do you know of a legitimate path to obtaining an entry-level cloud position? Especially as an engineer in cloud infrastructure or DevOps.

I mean the process of getting hired, more than what to learn. I’ve had a crazy difficult time getting actionable feedback from the industry, even before hiring freezes began last year.

My background:

I’ve been studying GCP, and more recently AWS, for 1.5 years, with a slight focus on DevOps over other areas of study. This is after 3 years as a project manager in the web development space.

• if not spam go read the answers to your original question in reddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/googlecloud/comments/10kloy5/do_entrylevel_cloud_positions_exist/

• frederico_fonseca wrote:

if not spam go read the answers to your original question in reddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/googlecloud/comments/10kloy5/do_entrylevel_cloud_positions_exist/%5B/quote%5D

If it were me, I'd be disappointed in the answers on that link.  Might be why the OP posted here... if, like you say, it's not a setup for spam yet to come.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• @nadolguna

If it were me, I'd contact some good recruiters on this.  The good one's will know a path or two on how to do such a thing and, with a little dedication to the recruiter that helps you, they might even be able to "get you in" because they have access to job listings that not many other places have.

As a bit if a sidebar... while there are some real, low-life, shysters out there, good recruiters are a dream come true and help keep the wheels from falling off of this and other industries.  The good ones will know of the things I spoke of above.  They can sometimes even get special deals for you on any required training.

And, remember, the answer is always "NO".... unless you ask. 😉

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• I had close to twenty years experience when I started working with Azure back in 2008/2009. My organization wasn't using it. I just started learning it on my own. When my organization became interested, I was already well positioned to help. So, I'm definitely not what you're looking for as a model for how to break in to cloud computing.

The thing is, I don't think there are many "cloud roles" let alone entry-level ones. Instead, there are roles that use the cloud, in whole or in part. I'd focus there. DevOps is a growing field. Dig into it hard. Lots and lots of work there, including entry level (especially since so many organizations don't have a clue how to do this stuff). I'm not that familiar with the GCP DevOps tooling, although I know it's pretty decent. AWS has the Developer Tools, CodeCommit, CodeBuild, CodeDeploy, that are really good. AzureDevOps is a thing. Github Actions. GitLab. Even Octopus has a cloud-only version of it's tool. Focus on one of these (not all at once though) and DevOps in general.

Other than that, I agree with Jeff (usually said at least once a day). Contact recruiters. Another approach is to go to local events, Data Saturday, Meetups, whatever, that are cloud-focused, DevOps-focused, or at least cloud & DevOps related. Network. Talk to people. Ask them for work, or at least hints on who is hiring.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I think Frederico may have been correct about the nature of this thread.  The second shoe dropped in the form of spam and the op has made no followup appearance.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• yup - and in the majority of cases I would also report this main thread to get ride of it - if not for some of the replies being useful.

• FFS

What a pain in the bottom.

I did agree with Jeff though. The answers on that other forum stunk.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply