Viewing 15 posts - 1,351 through 1,365 (of 3,717 total)
There are things that today are regarded as antipatterns which were the only reliable way of doing things yesterday.
Some features that are regarded as horrors (cursors and triggers spring to...
April 26, 2016 at 3:07 am
Gary Varga (4/25/2016)
Iwas Bornready (4/25/2016)
Management accepts that security is a priority when the company gets breached.
....or more like...
Management accepts that security should have been a priority when the company gets...
April 26, 2016 at 2:54 am
When you say "Same seed over time" are you talking about using time as a seed?
I'll take this article on.
April 25, 2016 at 2:43 am
I went to an interesting talk given by a guy from NASA. One of the problems NASA face is that they may have a scientist whose lifes work is...
April 23, 2016 at 6:36 am
One problem with backups is what you have to do if you get a requirement to expunge a person's records.
The risk is that you accidentally restore expunged records from an...
April 22, 2016 at 2:16 pm
Gary Varga (4/19/2016)
This is a wicked problem and is just like the ransom dilemma with human hostages
Given that medical records have been a victim of Ransonware I think there...
April 19, 2016 at 11:14 am
I can understand deficits in terms of SSMS giving visibility but SYS.objects and INFORMATION_SCHEMA. ROUTINES identify them pretty clearly and also reveal lineage.
I'm reluctant to condemn any weapon in my...
April 18, 2016 at 12:50 pm
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (4/14/2016)
April 15, 2016 at 10:46 am
I've spent a lot of time analysing project failures.
It boils down to breakdowns in communication and failure to check that communication has been successful.
Requirements are given and received. Both...
April 14, 2016 at 12:24 pm
The value I got out of the original SQL Server 6.5 courses (admin & developer) was largely due to the trainer who was 26 but looked 46. He'd been...
April 8, 2016 at 9:30 am
There are still systems in common use out there with surprisingly short length naming restrictions. I seem to remember that there is something like an ANAME record for Linux...
April 7, 2016 at 4:06 pm
Consistency is all otherwise it will be hell for all.
Trying to remember the CustomerNumber, AccNo, PersonId and any number of alternatives actually store the same thing until one day they...
April 7, 2016 at 9:41 am
Situations change over time.
I'd like to work in Canada but I'm reaching the age where emigrating from the UK would be far harder than doing so in my 20s.
With the...
April 5, 2016 at 3:39 pm
Steve your last April Fool was for SQL Server on Linux!
If you can imagine it then it can be built
April 1, 2016 at 12:35 am
I've used it for trivial tasks. Have I got the wrong end of the stick in thinking of it as Bash for Windows but with access to the .Net...
March 30, 2016 at 8:34 am
Viewing 15 posts - 1,351 through 1,365 (of 3,717 total)