Would You Move For a Job?

• Rod, that sounds really tough. I hope things pick up for you soon.

• Rod at work (4/4/2016)

Finally after 9 months, with my unemployment benefits having run out months before, the cupboard nearly bare, almost about to loose our own home, the only offer I got was for this position I'm now in. The commute is horribly long. I no longer have a social life. I can't go to user group meetings, etc. Because of my work, my life has become my work. But at least we haven't lost the house, there's food in the cupboard and I'm able to pay the bills.

Although I agree with you, in principle, that I don't want a job to be my life. My current reality is it has to be. That's the way it is sometimes.

Are you still applying for jobs nearer to home, or considering moving closer to your current job? The current situation might be bad but you can still work towards making it better. I hope things turn out well for you

• I do plan on getting out of the UK for a couple of years (or more) and working abroad once I've finished my courses. Somewhere warm though, I couldn't cope with anywhere colder. I'd like to join my friend in Adelaide.

But then, that begs the question, am I moving for a job, or am I moving for the location?

• Rod at work (4/4/2016)

Lynn Pettis (4/4/2016)

As my youngest daughter nears graduation from high school and I am officially single, I would consider moving for a job unless outside factors encourage me to stay here, in which case I would still be very interested in finding a position that allowed me to work from home and commit to the outside endeavors.

I'd like to think I am more than my job.

Sometimes Lynn, those things are out of your hands. They are currently in my case. I was out of work for almost 9 months. I live in a state where the Great Recession is still keenly felt today. Where unemployment is near double digits. Where there are very few IT jobs, even in the good times. Things are still horrible in the state where I live. The home across the street from my house has been vacant for over 2 years. As is another house 4 houses down and a third house further down. But that point you encounter the first street that intersects the street I live on. And it's that way throughout my neighborhood.

I tried very hard to land a job elsewhere. I had several interviews for positions elsewhere, some jobs that I wanted so badly to have that not getting them actually made me cry.

Finally after 9 months, with my unemployment benefits having run out months before, the cupboard nearly bare, almost about to loose our own home, the only offer I got was for this position I'm now in. The commute is horribly long. I no longer have a social life. I can't go to user group meetings, etc. Because of my work, my life has become my work. But at least we haven't lost the house, there's food in the cupboard and I'm able to pay the bills.

Although I agree with you, in principle, that I don't want a job to be my life. My current reality is it has to be. That's the way it is sometimes.

I hope things pick up for you soon 🙁 Is it an option to move closer to work?

• Thanks, Beatrix.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• tindog (4/5/2016)

Rod at work (4/4/2016)

Lynn Pettis (4/4/2016)

As my youngest daughter nears graduation from high school and I am officially single, I would consider moving for a job unless outside factors encourage me to stay here, in which case I would still be very interested in finding a position that allowed me to work from home and commit to the outside endeavors.

I'd like to think I am more than my job.

Sometimes Lynn, those things are out of your hands. They are currently in my case. I was out of work for almost 9 months. I live in a state where the Great Recession is still keenly felt today. Where unemployment is near double digits. Where there are very few IT jobs, even in the good times. Things are still horrible in the state where I live. The home across the street from my house has been vacant for over 2 years. As is another house 4 houses down and a third house further down. But that point you encounter the first street that intersects the street I live on. And it's that way throughout my neighborhood.

I tried very hard to land a job elsewhere. I had several interviews for positions elsewhere, some jobs that I wanted so badly to have that not getting them actually made me cry.

I hope things pick up for you soon 🙁 Is it an option to move closer to work?

No, there are very few jobs that open up near where I live. I looked at one recently, but it would have been at $14K drop in salary, which was more than we could afford.

• I got caught up reading people's replies to this thread, when I realized that this thread indirectly points out something I feel most of us haven't experienced. That is, working from home. It's always been my dream to get up at about 7 AM, get my cup of coffee, log into work and start programming, designing apps, writing SQL scripts, etc. wearing only my pajamas. But the reality is that such positions are I still believe, exceedingly rare. I know of two SQL Server experts, most likely both on these forums, who work for an out-of-state company involved in trucking. Both of these gentlemen work from home. But I get the feeling that company doesn't even really have a headquarters or "main office" anywhere. I think everyone who works for them is scattered all over the country, working from their homes. Probably there's a post office box somewhere for tax purposes and so they can be incorporated, but that's it. Although some people (DBA's, programmers, etc.) are able to work from home, that's still I believe a small percentage.

• Rod at work (4/5/2016)

I got caught up reading people's replies to this thread, when I realized that this thread indirectly points out something I feel most of us haven't experienced. That is, working from home. It's always been my dream to get up at about 7 AM, get my cup of coffee, log into work and start programming, designing apps, writing SQL scripts, etc. wearing only my pajamas. But the reality is that such positions are I still believe, exceedingly rare. I know of two SQL Server experts, most likely both on these forums, who work for an out-of-state company involved in trucking. Both of these gentlemen work from home. But I get the feeling that company doesn't even really have a headquarters or "main office" anywhere. I think everyone who works for them is scattered all over the country, working from their homes. Probably there's a post office box somewhere for tax purposes and so they can be incorporated, but that's it. Although some people (DBA's, programmers, etc.) are able to work from home, that's still I believe a small percentage.

Working from home would be great. What I find interesting is that the same technologies that businesses harness to meet the needs of customers, vendors, and partners are the same technologies that would allow them to build diverse geographically disperse teams. The problem seems to be management that believes that if you aren't in the chair, at a desk, in the office then you aren't working. Managing geographically disparate team members takes a different means of management, one that actually focuses the work that each team member completes rather than on whether they are at their desks on time and during work hours.

I have talked to a few recruiters in other cities, and the reason they look outside of the local area for new talent is that after a while you actually start to run out of potential candidates for the positions they are trying to fill. Some of this areas aren't places that I would really want to move to for employment due to the cost of living as well as moving. The positions themselves were interesting and would have actually been something that could have been done remotely, except the companies wanted people on site.

Rod, I hope things get better for you down the I. You have told me about your current position so I am aware of the commute and all.

• Rod at work (4/5/2016)

I got caught up reading people's replies to this thread, when I realized that this thread indirectly points out something I feel most of us haven't experienced. That is, working from home. It's always been my dream to get up at about 7 AM, get my cup of coffee, log into work and start programming, designing apps, writing SQL scripts, etc. wearing only my pajamas. But the reality is that such positions are I still believe, exceedingly rare. I know of two SQL Server experts, most likely both on these forums, who work for an out-of-state company involved in trucking. Both of these gentlemen work from home. But I get the feeling that company doesn't even really have a headquarters or "main office" anywhere. I think everyone who works for them is scattered all over the country, working from their homes. Probably there's a post office box somewhere for tax purposes and so they can be incorporated, but that's it. Although some people (DBA's, programmers, etc.) are able to work from home, that's still I believe a small percentage.

In the past, I've worked for a couple of companies where work was done remotely, either entirely or a couple of days a week. Working remotely a couple of days a week is becomming the norm for employees, managers, and C-level executives.

However, those jobs where you work entirely remote (as in out of state) as a 5x8 salaried employee (not a consultant or contractor) tend to pay somewhat lower than the going rate local to the organization's "regular" on-site IT staff. Big cities like Chicago, San Francisco, or Atlanta have plenty of local talent, and it's my belief that the reason why organizations in these prime markets resort to employing remote IT staff is that they don't want to pay for local talent. That sais, the pay rate may still be way higher than the average rate local to where you live, so the economics still works out.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell (4/5/2016)

Rod at work (4/5/2016)

In the past, I've worked for a couple of companies where work was done remotely, either entirely or a couple of days a week. Working remotely a couple of days a week is becomming the norm for employees, managers, and C-level executives.

However, those jobs where you work entirely remote (as in out of state) as a 5x8 salaried employee (not a consultant or contractor) tend to pay somewhat lower than the going rate local to the organization's "regular" on-site IT staff. Big cities like Chicago, San Francisco, or Atlanta have plenty of local talent, and it's my belief that the reason why organizations in these prime markets resort to employing remote IT staff is that they don't want to pay for local talent. That sais, the pay rate may still be way higher than the average rate local to where you live, so the economics still works out.

Personally I don't have a problem with that. I'm not familiar with Chicago nor Atlanta, so I've no idea what the cost of living is there, but San Francisco is a place I've been to many times, love it and would love to live there. But the cost of living is too high so won't. If a San Francisco company were to offer me a job and allow me to work from my current location at a reduced rate than what they pay in San Francisco, I'd be on board with that. I'd assume I'd have to make a trip or two a year to the City by the Bay for meetings. That would be enough for me. 🙂

• Short Answer: No.

Context; I have, in the past, moved several times. When I landed in Denver, I decided this was home.

Mark
    Just a cog in the wheel.

• Was in SF last week. It's crazy expensive. I don't even like staying there when I visit. I've gotten to the point I'll stay near the airport or E bay and commute if I can.

• Rod at work (4/5/2016)

Eric M Russell (4/5/2016)

Rod at work (4/5/2016)

Personally I don't have a problem with that. I'm not familiar with Chicago nor Atlanta, so I've no idea what the cost of living is there, but San Francisco is a place I've been to many times, love it and would love to live there. But the cost of living is too high so won't. If a San Francisco company were to offer me a job and allow me to work from my current location at a reduced rate than what they pay in San Francisco, I'd be on board with that. I'd assume I'd have to make a trip or two a year to the City by the Bay for meetings. That would be enough for me. 🙂

If the company would pay for a couple of trips to SF, then that would be a bonus for me too.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Situations change over time.

I'd like to work in Canada but I'm reaching the age where emigrating from the UK would be far harder than doing so in my 20s.

With the benefit of hindsight I would have been more adventurous in my 20s before I got married and even up until the time the kids got settled in school. My wife was born in Singapore and travelled the world with her Dad's job so is very much into putting down roots.

At present I live 20 minutes cycling distance from the Peak District National park and 2 hours drive from Snowdonia National Park, the Lake District National Park, the Yorkshire National Park. Commute wise I'm on a major rail route and near North/South and East/West motorways.

Perfection for me would be to be within 15-20 mile cycling to work.

• I moved when I was younger and without a family. I had the opportunity to move to DFW and for a pretty significant raise. That gave me an advantage of being in a better SQL Server job market than the area I left (at least at the time - things are better there now). I moved many times before that trying to get a job and get settled. Now, with kids and connections in the community, I'm less likely to want to move.

I actually have a remote work job w/ a company in another state. They asked if I would be interested in moving, but I'm not really interested even if the area is pretty and has real seasons. They also have worked hard to enable remote workers and work well with the remote workers. And if I do move on, the DFW area is still pretty good for SQL Server related jobs. I don't have a lot of reasons to move right now. However, for the right job/opportunity/benefits, it's not completely off the table. It's just a lot less likely to be considered, especially as most companies aren't interested in helping with the moving costs.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply