Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,306 through 1,320 (of 3,717 total)

  • RE: Good Stories

    My best stories mostly involve other people.

    Years ago there used to be a CMS call Obtree. Three of us built a mechanism to allow content to be exported to...

  • RE: More and More Data Growth

    xsevensinzx (6/9/2016)


    Worth of data that is driving a conversion such as a purchase, a download, a signup? It's pretty critical. .

    Yes I understand that, and that having a link between...

  • RE: More and More Data Growth

    Web analytics does generate a large volume of data relative to the OTLP activity that the web site produces. Products such as Speedtrap shred out the data including any...

  • RE: More and More Data Growth

    The data growth isn't coming from OLTP.

    I've been watching and participating in the Big Data world for a while and I see non-IT people bragging about their Big Data usage...

  • RE: Abstraction

    hakim.ali (6/7/2016)


    This. Over and over.

    I think it's about loss of control. It's okay to do it (from a developer's perspective) because they are the ones choosing the exact details of...

  • RE: Meeting Cheating

    Eric M Russell (6/6/2016)

    I hate meetings where the important architectural decisions have already been made behind closed doors and all the only reason they put the development or DBA team...

  • RE: Meeting Cheating

    One of my managers always volunteered to keep the minutes, that way his points were always recorded and inevitably signed off.

    There's clearly an art to running a meeting and there's...

  • RE: A New Sample Database

    @steve-2, I'm pretty sure that you started using the pubs database much earlier than SQL2014. I suspect that you used it pre-SQL Server 6.x.

    I liked the way that Adventureworks...

  • RE: Bias, the Serial Killer of Diversity

    Many a true word said in jest, Jeff. I should change the picture.

    It's my mid-life crisis purchase as I couldn't afford a meno-porsche. I wrote it off and...

  • RE: Great Developers

    There's a presentation that demonstrates that you may as well not bother with an IT degree because the pace of change is so fast that by year 4 what you...

  • RE: The Coffee Routine

    In 30 years I've only worked for one company that didn't provide coffee. My 1st place we had a rota to go down to the wholesalers for a catering...

  • RE: Bias, the Serial Killer of Diversity

    Racial prejudice in hiring is a scourge that needs to be eradicated. Sartorial prejudice in hiring is a silliness that doesn't matter to me.

    Obviously I agree on the racial...

  • RE: Great Developers

    Experience trumps education

    Achievements trumps Experience.

    My heart sinks when I read "Responsible for". It doesn't say whether you were hands on, whether you achieved something or whether you just...

  • RE: More Overloads

    Wonderful idea, pure common-sense. Will never work. You face the devil's own job to get a people in the same company to sit in a room and come...

  • RE: Mentors and Professional Groups

    Face to face is extremely effective because the communication is verbal and visual and a true dialogue.

    Written communication gives the opportunity to think before acting but requires a great deal...

Viewing 15 posts - 1,306 through 1,320 (of 3,717 total)