Viewing 15 posts - 1,261 through 1,275 (of 3,717 total)
I remember our production team arguing a split brain situation in a mirrored server where the support engineer kept insisting it was impossible and the team said It's right here...
August 5, 2016 at 12:40 am
In a perfect world yes, however my experience of working in FTSE 100 technology and financial services companies is often the opposite. The bigger the company, the greater the pressure...
August 4, 2016 at 10:20 am
It is one of those practises that needs to become a habit rather than something you have to apply conscious thought other than that needed to educate people new to...
August 4, 2016 at 3:16 am
In terms of physical data centre security I am pretty sure that Amazon's data centres are considerably more robust than many companies can provide.
I am also sure that economies of...
August 4, 2016 at 1:04 am
Having a local cache is sensible. The caveat to storing data locally is to check the terms and conditions for whatever the data is.
There's a lot of information out there...
July 29, 2016 at 10:22 am
sql-troubles (7/29/2016)
July 29, 2016 at 5:15 am
Jeff Moden (7/28/2016)
p.s. I'd like to add a reference link to this article in mine, if that's OK with you.
Go ahead. In an ideal world we'd have a...
July 28, 2016 at 10:34 am
RobertMcClean (7/28/2016)
BTW: Typo in third blue box, UK Postcode --- A99 should be 9AA (or NAA as the PAF documentation uses.)
Thanks and good spot.
Excellent point about confidence. It's too...
July 28, 2016 at 3:22 am
Gary Varga (7/26/2016)
Yes. So many times I have an argument (it rarely remains a discussion) that old code MUST be removed.
Amen brother!
I had the experience of trying to deprecate...
July 26, 2016 at 6:08 am
I get the point about 10x data loads but that is stress testing rather than unit testing.
Stress testing is incredibly important. The reason for separating out unit, integration, ...
July 26, 2016 at 12:42 am
I am trying to get unit tests working on an application that depends on various frameworks.
The code as written is convoluted, poorly structured and obscure. I am not...
July 25, 2016 at 2:24 pm
With few exceptions I stayed in most of my jobs too long and share the experience expressed in the editorial.
In all cases I stayed because I got on well with...
July 22, 2016 at 12:39 am
Fred P Brooks wrote a paper called "The 2nd system affect". It's worth reviewing it.
The problem with a rewrite is that identifying the true scope and therefore the costs...
July 21, 2016 at 3:22 pm
cad.delworth (7/20/2016)
July 20, 2016 at 7:42 am
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (7/19/2016)
David.Poole (7/19/2016)
July 20, 2016 at 12:29 am
Viewing 15 posts - 1,261 through 1,275 (of 3,717 total)