A Slower Job

• Eric M Russell (8/16/2016)

It would be useful to have an experienced gray haired DBA who could offer technical assistance and architectural advice across any number of projects, more like an analyst role, wihout becomming mired in the trench muck of any specific project.

How many people aspire to become exactly that? πŸ˜›

It's a thought-provoking article that makes me think about working beyond traditional retirement.

• Ed Wagner (8/16/2016)

Eric M Russell (8/16/2016)

It would be useful to have an experienced gray haired DBA who could offer technical assistance and architectural advice across any number of projects, more like an analyst role, wihout becomming mired in the trench muck of any specific project.

It's a thought-provoking article that makes me think about working beyond traditional retirement.

God knows there have been a lot of gray haired DBAs, good people who can offer a lot, who unfortuntely have become entangled in some sh!t that's beyond their control (ie: bad management), or in some cases deliberately thrown under a bus by an organization that no longer appreciates what they have to offer. However, if we want a career as a database analyst, we'll probably have to hang up our company hat and go solo as a consultant.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell (8/16/2016)

Ed Wagner (8/16/2016)

God knows there have been a lot of gray haired DBAs, good people who can offer a lot, who unfortuntely have become entangled in some sh!t that's beyond their control (ie: bad management), or in some cases deliberately thrown under a bus by an organization that no longer appreciates what they have to offer. However, if we want a career as a database analyst, we'll probably have to hang up our company hat and go solo as a consultant.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you all the way around. There are a lot of very smart people who make consulting work, but I don't think it's for me.

• Ed Wagner (8/16/2016)

Ed Wagner (8/16/2016)

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you all the way around. There are a lot of very smart people who make consulting work, but I don't think it's for me.

Yes, consultants are certainly not safe from entanglements or getting thrown under a bus, but at least they have more maneuverability in the situation.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• funbi (8/16/2016)

TheFault (8/16/2016)

Having worked predominantly within support during my career I have to disagree with some of this editorial.

I agree with all your disagreements!

I agree with some, disagree with others.

Support varies. Some are real time support, and those make this hard. Though, I have seen good handoffs in support departments. Microsoft has done a good job here in my experience. I know not everyone sees this.

In lots of product cases we have, this takes place across days, with a few comminications or updates in a short time, but then time while developers or support people try to repro and work through issues. I think this can work well.

Inside of companies, if you only had 2 hours of QA a day, developers would make do with the resources, or they'd adapt to meet that deadline of having work ready for those two hours.

Of course, management has to support this.

• Sorry, CA = California. I'd use Canada or .ca (dot ca) for the Canadian web presence.

• I am quickly (faster than I want some days) approaching that stage in my career and would like to know where I could apply for that job. I will say my past experience has been more as a business analyst working with the DBA to develop extracts, data marts and warehouses but I'd still like to be able to find some part time work in the near future that allows me to use my years of knowledge without having to punch the clock everyday.

• I think the job is filled now, but our opportunities are listed here: http://www.red-gate.com/our-company/careers/current-opportunities

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/16/2016)

I think the job is filled now, but our opportunities are listed here: http://www.red-gate.com/our-company/careers/current-opportunities

That's to bad. Maybe I can get the next one.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/16/2016)

I think the job is filled now, but our opportunities are listed here: http://www.red-gate.com/our-company/careers/current-opportunities

I thought that I would have a nosey peek and was suprised at the candour of Redgate:

Don’t be an a******

No matter how smart you are, or how good you are at narrowly-defined tasks, there is no room for you here if you’re an a******.

If only most companies said this from the off!!!

NOTE: The Redgate website has not sanitised the *a* word whereas this SSC forum did automatically. I didn't know it did that so it just illustrates that I haven't tried to use rude words on these forums.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• I don't want a "slower" job with multiple projects, I'd like to have a more "focused" job instead of being a jack-of-all-trades. I currently wear too many hats, so I often get in the situation of juggling too many priorities and losing time to context switching.

• Once the mortgage is paid and the kids are earning their own money I'll have enough money to do anything but not enough to do nothing.

I don't mind hard work where I'm achieving stuff that is appreciated. I find it stressful working hours to keep an ungrateful albatross from crashing.

• I've survived many rounds of layoffs at several different corporations, so I've been fortunate in that regard. What I've noticed is that the guy with the jack-of-all-trades or internal consultant type of role who is much more likely to get cut. Organizations appreciate sage advice and advanced technical support, but they don't necessarily see it as revenue generating. That's been my take away from personal observation. Using musical chairs as an analogy: When the music stops, you don't want to be the guy or gal not currently holding a lynchpin position on an essential revenue generating project.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_chairs

• The idea of finding a dream tech job with less benefits, and less hours, is a great stepping stone from a full-time tech job to full-time retirement. As luck would have it, I'm hoping to find that dream "Slower Job" within next year or so.

Gregory A. Larsen, MVP

• Eric M Russell (8/17/2016)

Organizations appreciate sage advice and advanced technical support, but they don't necessarily see it as revenue generating.

Revenue generation and in particular short term revenue generation will always win out, particularly in companies listed on the stock exchange. I would encourage the younger generation to be brave in their choices. They have age and time on their side, mistakes are forgiven, experience can be gained rapidly. There are always new positions if the cutting edge project gets jettisoned.

There's an age range after that where positions start being harder to come by and non-work commitments reduce flexibility.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply