Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 303 total)
Chris, a good retitement project might be to digitize all those records.
Ain't gonna happen 🙂
I love my records and CDs. I'm one of those people that wants the physical...
October 9, 2026 at 2:08 pm
I've just given my notice to retire at my current employer (of the last 20 years) after a career of over 40 years as a developer of various types; started...
October 9, 2026 at 9:58 am
I've been a Junior Programmer, Senior Programmer, Developer, Analyst Programmer and am currently a Senior Specialist Data Engineer. Whenever I'm asked to fill in the "occupation" bit of a form,...
October 2, 2026 at 1:29 pm
I think the primary advantage of AI at the moment is reducing the time required for tedious tasks. It's not going to get bored scanning a new set of repositories...
May 26, 2026 at 9:55 am
My two penn'orth; if the address is in a single, unvalidated column, it would be virtually useless in determining whether the customer already exists in the database because any variation...
May 21, 2026 at 8:16 am
I fully agree with this. My 90 year old mother uses WhatsApp on her phone to keep in touch with family spread out around the country and gets fed up...
March 10, 2026 at 11:14 am
I think fix-forward is the more common option when the issue has gone undetected for a period of time so that further processing has taken place that would be difficult...
March 4, 2026 at 2:48 pm
As well as the items mentioned in your article, I think it would be useful if the training could include input from people at the coal-face in various departments so...
November 20, 2025 at 9:56 am
You often need a bigger team to build a system than you do to keep it running once implemented, so it makes sense for some of that team to be...
November 13, 2025 at 10:31 am
I frequently get asked for one-off extracts from our data warehouse which I save as spreadsheets with meaningful names like Reconciliation Failures. Then, inevitably, the "one-off" gets requested repeatedly (often...
November 10, 2025 at 1:21 pm
I once worked at a company where HR was referred to as "Human Remains". I think that says a lot about that company's culture.
October 24, 2025 at 1:54 pm
First, create a table-valued function that can be re-used elsewhere such as the one below which I originally found somewhere on this site. Then use the function to remove any...
August 21, 2025 at 9:44 am
Interesting article, but TRUNCATE TABLE can be rolled back.
DROP TABLE IF EXISTS dbo.bob;
CREATE TABLE dbo.bob (bob_id INT IDENTITY(1, 1), bob_code VARCHAR(10) NOT NULL);
INSERT dbo.bob
(
...
July 23, 2025 at 10:46 am
When I was doing technical support for a mainframe package at a software house we had one customer where the IT director was absolutely obsessed with his new toy. He...
July 15, 2025 at 7:56 am
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 303 total)