Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 9,556 through 9,570 (of 9,728 total)

  • RE: DBA''''s more scarce in 2007

    Steve,

    I completely agree with the giving out people's names thing.  It's just funny that I don't have any to give out even if I wanted to. @=)

    As far as the...

    Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

  • RE: DBA''''s more scarce in 2007

    I keep getting calls from recruiters wanting to know "how are things going", putting feelers out for whether or not I want to jump ship.  Then when I return their...

    Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

  • RE: Log Writer Suspended?

    Sugesh,

    Thanks, but I already knew about the System Process IDs. 

    My concern was why system processes were suspended.  And my philosophy is "Better to know now when it's NOT a...

    Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

  • RE: Data Modeling

    William,

    A lot of people don't use FKs in their databases.  They stick IDs from other tables in their tables (which isn't quite the same thing) and then rely on the...

    Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

  • RE: Log Writer Suspended?

    Wow.  I didn't come up with that entry at all on my search.

    Thanks, Steve.  I appreciate your help with that.

    Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

  • RE: Ambiguous column name error

    AH!  That makes sense.

    Don't know why anyone would do that, though, considering that until SQL 2005 you couldn't order by column aliases.

    Well, maybe other people could, but I kept getting...

    Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

  • RE: Ambiguous column name error

    I use table aliases in my queries all the time.  All of us at my office do.  I don't recall that we had that warning in the UA when we...

    Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

  • RE: Ambiguous column name error

    It might if you're being inconsistant.  Such as prefixing with the table name in the WHERE clause if you're using table aliases in the SELECT statement.

    Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

  • RE: Server Administrator Permissions

    And it's only made worse for those who are trustworthy when the few "rotten apples" get their escapades published nationwide.  I've read at least 5 stories in the past 3 months...

    Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

  • RE: Order Database Design

    Here's a thought.

    Orders table contains the summary version of the order.

    OrderLines table contains the individual detail lines of the order including an FK to OrderID.  That way you can have...

    Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

  • RE: Primary key naming convention

    We use method two.  Since it is possible for one tables ID field to be used in more than one other table, method two makes it easier for us to...

    Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

  • RE: Server Administrator Permissions

    Sorry, I should have mentioned that my last comment was for Steve.  It seems odd to me that the Upgrade Advisor wouldn't work if you didn't have Windows Admin permissions.

    Has...

    Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

  • RE: Server Administrator Permissions

    Did you really mean to say SysAdmin? 

    I ask because the original post was about Local Admin Permissions on the Windows OS (Administrator rights) which isn't exactly the same thing...

    Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

  • RE: Notify Admin on MasterKey backup

    The backup for the Master Key requires a CONTROL permission on the database.  That tells me the person has to be a SysAdmin, DBOwner or a DBBackupOperator.  I don't know...

    Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

  • RE: MS Office Live users - beware of scam

    That's just it.  Qwest would "get your permission" when you cashed the little checks they sent out.  Or if you competed in a contest they were sponsering or even if...

    Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 15 posts - 9,556 through 9,570 (of 9,728 total)