Your Portfolio

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Your Portfolio

• Whilst I kind of appreciate the idea and understand why you might suggest it, I'm afraid I'm far too British and reserved to ever go for a look at me thing like that. Perhaps I should consider getting over this attitude. I am probably unusual in that I don't really like Facebook etc either I guess.

• That's really interesting, because I also thought it might not go down too well in the UK, but I can definitely see it working well in the States. However, I think it could be a good thing for a contractor to do in the UK.

I'm definitely guilty of having fallen into my "career" (hah!) rather than having designed it from the start. I've spent the last couple of years trying to turn that round (with some success), and I do think it's something younger people in particular should be focusing on.

• Sometimes you get pushed out of jobs. Projects comes to an end, bean counters go to the boss and whisper in the ear on how much the IT guy makes.

Or you work on a great project with a group of people that are not professional or engaged in the project. Seen that too.

Your career is like a river...sometimes the current is too strong to actually go where you want too. Sometimes you paddle like mad against strong waters.. etc. Put in your metaphor here now.

• I was asked for my portfolio about ten years ago by a UK company - so was aware of it coming as it does for designers, photographers etc. It is however easier for them.

I don't think it is a straight forwards as it would be for a photographer for example. Confidentiality and copyright could come into the equation - my employer owns all of the code that I write whilst employed by them - that includes anything I write in my own time, not just code created doing my job.

I also can't describe my job (according to my contract) in anything but the broadest of terms. "I work in IT" or "I work with databases" is OK, but "I work in the IT department of QWERTY Co" is frowned upon and I think "I work in IT for the widget making division of QWERTY Co" would get me on the dole. So quite how I go about creating a portfolio is a bit beyond me at the moment.

-------------------------------Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden [/url]Smart way to ask a question
    There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan
    I would never join a club that would allow me as a member - Groucho Marx

• Good advice for those younger than I (age 64). Even so for me it is a nice walk down memory lane.

• ... However the front page of your blog, with the last 5-10 posts you've written on some random topics might not be the image you want to present. Perhaps you can better show yourself off and control the image that you present to the world.

I thought about this when I read a piece about a photographer assembling a portfolio of their work. I thought, this might be a good exercise for a technical person as well. Perhaps there are specific skills, posts, software that you want to show. Put the links on your resume or cover letter that build the impression you want to make. Maybe send someone to a landing page that contains the projects that you are more proud of. ...

That's what LinkedIn is perfect for, because it's more targeted toward professionals and less cluttered than FaceBook or a blog. However, if you're actively in the job market, remember to set privacy options so that it's visible to public visitors wihtout a membership account.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• ZETM (8/18/2015)

Sometimes you get pushed out of jobs. Projects comes to an end, bean counters go to the boss and whisper in the ear on how much the IT guy makes.

Or you work on a great project with a group of people that are not professional or engaged in the project. Seen that too.

Your career is like a river...sometimes the current is too strong to actually go where you want too. Sometimes you paddle like mad against strong waters.. etc. Put in your metaphor here now.

Hey, have you lived my life? Sure sounds a lot like what I've experienced.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• I like the idea of a portfolio. Early in my career I kept a portfolio. This was something that I picked up from some of those scholar competitions in High School and figured why not do it. It really made sense since it is something you should do for some of the art professions (how else would you show your work).

Fast forward many years, and I don't maintain that paper bound portfolio anymore. I now have kids that have instructors requesting them to keep a portfolio as a requirement to achieve their black belt should they continue on that path.

And in talks with their instructors, we got clearance to do a digital portfolio. Why I hadn't transcribed that to something more organized than just my blog and resume that I keep up to date I don't know. But it makes a lot of sense to dedicate a page with links (at the very least) to the types of things that one would want to highlight in a portfolio.

Time to get to work on that.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• call.copse (8/18/2015)

I am probably unusual in that I don't really like Facebook

Nope - sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (8/18/2015)

call.copse (8/18/2015)

I think IT folks in general have never really took to FaceBook, probably because more than anyone else we know that dumping one's day to day personal life on the web can be a bad idea. However, users of LinkedIn seem heavily weighted toward IT, because it's more structured and also because of the way the website automatically associates links between members based on common backgrounds and interests.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell (8/18/2015)

SQLRNNR (8/18/2015)

call.copse (8/18/2015)

I think IT folks in general have never really took to FaceBook, probably because more than anyone else we know that dumping one's day to day personal life on the web can be a bad idea. However, users of LinkedIn seem heavily weighted toward IT, because it's more structured and also because of the way the website automatically associates links between members based on common backgrounds and interests.

I don't like Facebook...because it's full of drivel. I use it to chat to my best friend and my niece. That's it. I don't want to hear about every moment of everyone's trip to the beach.

As for LinkedIn, I've found I got one thing in quantity from it: spam. I was going to use it as a way to show professional contacts, but I got 1,000 times more messages from spam than I have recruiters or even ex-coworkers. Did about as much good as putting my email and resume onto Monster. Another site that started filling an email address up with spam.

I'll just keep my resume fresh, in case they decide to cut a budget here...like the last place did.

• Stuart Davies (8/18/2015)

I don't think it is a straight forwards as it would be for a photographer for example. Confidentiality and copyright could come into the equation - my employer owns all of the code that I write whilst employed by them - that includes anything I write in my own time, not just code created doing my job.

Can't speak for other countries, but the US has frowned upon a company claiming all your code outside of work.

I'd do something, even if it were a private portfolio, having some copies or examples of code I'd written. Perhaps I'd rewrite it to prevent IP issues, but I think I could generically rewrite most solutions for a portfolio to show when I'm interviewing.

• Especially in the IT world, work experience and a portfolio can compliment each other. Someone who is a SQL Server DBA for a paycheck, might be doing some Big Data stuff on the side which could be on interest to a future employer. The 'desirables' on many job posting are often for things other than the core responsibilities.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/18/2015)

Stuart Davies (8/18/2015)

Can't speak for other countries, but the US has frowned upon a company claiming all your code outside of work.

I'd do something, even if it were a private portfolio, having some copies or examples of code I'd written. Perhaps I'd rewrite it to prevent IP issues, but I think I could generically rewrite most solutions for a portfolio to show when I'm interviewing.

The "showcase" version of my code would definately be cleaner and more straightforward than the legacy version of the code I actually maintain in production for the old employer. The same goes for the version of code that I would write myself from scratch for a new employer; a lot cleaner and functional than the legacy code I've inherited and foster. Just like everything else in life, we get by day to day and keep these idealistic visions of what could be in our head. Occasionally we actually get an opportunity to shape those visions into reality. I take that opportunity when it presents itself.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply