Your Favorite Feature that Needs Work

• Changing some of the silly install defaults would be nice, like Max Server Memory (maybe cap it fairly low- it would still have to be configured on a case by case basis, but it could be less risky than it is now), Cost Threshold for Parallelism, Autogrowth settings (by 1 MB!). etc. As I said, these things usually have to be configured anyway for your own environment, but some of them are downright stupid and could be improved at least a bit.

• Hi folks,
    I would like to see an enumerated list data type. It is a simple concept and MySQL has it.
    (https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/enum.html)
    Say you have a column to store UserType. The values are 'User', 'SysAdmin', 'Guest', 'WebAdmin'.
    An enumerated data type could store them as 1,2,3,4; but always display and validate the strings.
    It prevents the need to use lookup table for these short list items.
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/11bc8855-ac09-4e77-b19d-6870c7723424/enumerators-datatype-in-sql?forum=transactsql

VOTE IT UP PLEASE.

• Thom A - Friday, February 3, 2017 3:40 AM

Jeff Moden - Friday, February 3, 2017 1:01 AM

Have I mentioned that I'd like them to stop deprecating and discontinuing useful stuff? 😉

I don't think you did Jeff, no 🙂

Really like your list though. I don't know if it's because it's at the top because it annoys you that much but I have to agree, USEFUL ACE drivers would be a wonderful thing,

It's at the top of my list because, like it or not, spreadsheets still seem to make the world go 'round.  Yeah, there's SSIS but I do stuff with spreadsheets (automated imports without having to know any of the column names in the spreadsheet and self-healing as new temporal sections with identical column names are added) that would be a whole lot easier if the ACE drivers actually provided a decent interface (Read_Spreadsheet, Write_Spreadsheet, Create_Spreadsheet, Create_Spreadsheet_From_Template, List_Spreadsheet_Tabs, etc, etc).

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Gary Varga - Friday, February 3, 2017 12:30 AM

A fully integrated, Continuous Integration compatible, unit testing and regression testing framework. There are options out there but nothing that feels as though it will bring automated testing to the masses, like NUnit did for .NET developers say. Of course, there may be something that either I have missed or has turned up since my last look into available tools.

That I would love to see.

• chrisn-585491 - Friday, February 3, 2017 6:18 AM

Can we fix the known issues with SSMS? It's the only application out of hundreds that still can cause video tear artifacts on my systems.
    And can someone kill SSIS in a fire? I'd rather build ETL into an application than deal with it's quirks.

And fix what ever Jeff wants... 😀

This is getting an update. Not sure if it's for the best or not, but check out SSMS 17 in RC (or CTP) now.

• Alex Gay - Friday, February 3, 2017 3:57 AM

Jeff Moden - Friday, February 3, 2017 1:01 AM

14.  Make it so that string truncation warnings tell you the row number and column name where the truncation took place.

Definatly thie one.  Trying to find the one item in a csv file that is too large can be a nightmare.

I would also like the ability to define Constants and Enumerated constants, so that user defined stored procedures can work in the same way as built in procedures.
    An automatic debug flag, so that procedures can have debug output similar to PowerShell.

I think that that is enough for now.

+1 for this from me too.  Nothing like wasting an hour trying to find which of the 100 columns is longer than the data dictionary said it would be...

[font="Tahoma"]Personal blog relating fishing to database administration:[/font]

[font="Comic Sans MS"]https://davegugg.wordpress.com[/url]/[/font]

• I'd have to agree like everyone else with Jeff's list, and with the ETL tools.  I think in trying to make SSIS too flexible and GUI point and click based, they lost ease of use and reusability.  I remember working in FoxPro for DOS back in the mid 1990's and it was much easier to import and export many different types of files than it is now with SQL Server's tools.

The only thing I can add to this list, which there already seems to be Connect issues for, over 9 years ago, is to include FINALLY as part of TRY CATCH blocks.

• 1) Make Distributed Replay easier to use.
    I love DReplay, it makes stress tests, upgrade tests so easy to do, but it's finicky as hell, command-line only and breaks with useless error messages.

2) "String or binary data would be truncated"
    At least tell me which column. The value that would be truncated would be fantastic.

3) "Floating point exception"
    I've been working on a maths-heavy project for the last couple of years, and when things go wrong in the depths of the simulation it breaks with either "Floating Point Exception" or "Arithmetic Overflow". For the Floating Point Exception, if it could tell me what operation failed it would be a huge time-saver. "Floating Point Exception. Cannot take LOG of a negative number" or something like that.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster - Friday, February 3, 2017 8:01 AM

2) "String or binary data would be truncated"
    At least tell me which column. The value that would be truncated would be fantastic.

This I want more than anything.

• I want the import/export wizard to actually work properly all the time.  It's awesome how choosing write your own query messes up consistently.

• I just tried to add a suggestion on being able to use Find in the result pane of SSMS.

When I tried to submit it I just got an error.

Maybe I will try later.

Ben

• ZZartin - Friday, February 3, 2017 8:30 AM

I want the import/export wizard to actually work properly all the time.  It's awesome how choosing write your own query messes up consistently.

THIS !!! +1

Hakim Ali
    www.sqlzen.com

• bkubicek - Friday, February 3, 2017 8:53 AM

I just tried to add a suggestion on being able to use Find in the result pane of SSMS.

When I tried to submit it I just got an error.

Maybe I will try later.

Ben

This is in place already, just switch your output to text (CTRL+T) instead of grid, and "find" away...

PS. CTRL+D gets you back to grid output.

Hakim Ali
    www.sqlzen.com

• Doesn't work for me.  I put the results into text using SSMS 2016, then do Ctrl-F to find something in the results.  No dice.

I thought the same thing, but it didn't work.

Ben

• bkubicek - Friday, February 3, 2017 9:02 AM

Doesn't work for me.  I put the results into text using SSMS 2016, then do Ctrl-F to find something in the results.  No dice.

I thought the same thing, but it didn't work.

Ben

Did you put the cursor in the results area first?

Hakim Ali
    www.sqlzen.com

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply